Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2007, 07:31 AM

9,873 posts, read 10,782,163 times

Advertisements

Much a do about nothin! Imus ratings will come out of the cellar for a while and the girls playing bball got alot of attention. The bad part about the whole thing is were teaching people they need to be offended when some one calls them a name, stupid!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 07:33 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,608,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
That's basically the crux of this.
I myself can display a fairly adolescent sense of humor and laugh at some rather dumb stuff.
But Imus' on-the-air words, the aging shock jock's casual attempt to be edgy and hip, were merely stupid, and certainly not entertaining. I know he runs the ranch for sick kids and all that, but I just don't see any excuse for what he said. He blew it.
Freedom of speech is no excuse for poor taste. I am not crazy about censorship; people can say what they want, but that doesn't mean there won't be negative repercussions, especially on federally regulated airwaves.
Apparently he's been spewing this stuff for years, but with so much advertising being pulled, the networks have oh-so-nobly decided to pull Imus' plug. MSNBC Online (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18062462/site/newsweek/ - broken link)

Anyway.
The basketball players will move on.
Ultimately, the hurt caused will affect Imus more than the young women.

Yap, I disagree. This would have been a big deal without the Kramer incident.
At least Imus hasn't gone into therapy or something.

As much as I think this entire thing is dreadfully wrong....

Imus DESERVES what he is getting.

Howard Stern said it right.

"Don should have said F*** you, it was a joke".

His first mistake was cowering to that fat slob in the first place. His second was not coming out on the offensive, and showing up that racist for who he is. I personally would have declared war on the poverty pimps, and made a media event out of it. Right down to marketing materials with Al Sharpton, and Jessie Jackson wearing black sheets

Nope, Don deserves what he gets. If you fold a full house and get beat by a pair of deuces, that's your own fault and you deserve to lose your money.

It was BAD comedy. I mean REALLY. "Nappy headed ho's" ????? Does that even sound remotely serious? It was said to be funny, and to a lot of people, IT WAS. To others, it was not. As I've already said, I don't like Imus, but I recognize someone getting crucified when I see it. Poor chump. It's a shame he didn't have a better agent.

~T

Old 04-12-2007, 07:38 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,914,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm also smart enough to understand that an off-hand tasteless remark is not the same as burning a cross on someone's lawn, especially considering its source.
An offhand tasteless remark need not be broadcast on the air.
It diminishes all of us.
If he'd stopped and apologized then and there, none of this would have happened.
I don't think you have to burn a cross on someone's lawn to be guilty of being a jerk. And no, being a jerk is not against the law, but it can get you fired.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:56 AM

68,285 posts, read 54,079,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
An offhand tasteless remark need not be broadcast on the air.
It diminishes all of us.
If he'd stopped and apologized then and there, none of this would have happened.
I don't think you have to burn a cross on someone's lawn to be guilty of being a jerk. And no, being a jerk is not against the law, but it can get you fired.

I'm not trying to justify Imus's comment but IMO the reaction has been way out of proportion.

What about the hypocrisy of it all? Why don't we Sharpton so outraged at rap lyrics and pursuing their writers? He's a hypocrite. And he calls himself a man of God, I wonder what God? Many religions have the concept of atonement and forgiveness in their beliefs, apparently his doesn't.

I was almost ready to make the mistake of thinking that Sharpton was creating more racism than previously exisited but that would give him far too much credit. I don't dislike him because he is black. I dislike him because he is a hypocritcal media ho' .

Old 04-12-2007, 08:10 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,629,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
"Looking back on when i
Was a little nappy headed boy

Stevie Wonder
'I Wish'

A horribly insensitive racist statement?

Yep I am so tired of this double standard, if it is a bad phrase, then it shouldnt be said by ANYONE, not just whites.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:18 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,608,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Yep I am so tired of this double standard, if it is a bad phrase, then it shouldnt be said by ANYONE, not just whites.
"nappy headed" just means you have kinky hair.

lol

This is not racist. This is a common hair problem in the black community.

HO's on the other hand, well that's an offensive thing to call anyone.

~T

Old 04-12-2007, 08:27 AM

110 posts, read 472,794 times
What I wonder after hearing and reading all the comments about Imus and his "comment", is how many people even have a clue about him or the show?

I have listened to his show for years and have wondered many times how they get away with the routines that they do.

Imus is by no means racist. He equally insults any and all people regardless of race, religion, political persuasion, etc., that is just part of the act of the show.

Should there be stricter quidelines on what people can say on TV or radio...yes I think that there should be, but not just because of what was said this time.

Has anyone ever heard the "routines" using "Ray Nagin", "Cardinal Egan", "Bill Clinton", "Ted Kennedy", etc. Some of the comedy and bantering that goes on, in my opinion, pushes the envelope way beyond decency. The big question that I have is why the uproar now? They have said many things worse in the past. I am not trying to diminish what was said this time, but just trying to point out the extremely bad taste, in the name of comedy, that has been allowed for so many years.

By the same token the show has many good points, Imus is extremely passionate about many charitable causes and works tirelessly to support the various causes. He also has very enteresting guests on the show. Politicians, authors, sports figures, newspeople, columnists and the like. He also cuts them no slack. He asks the questions and demands answers that the mainstream media would never ask. He does this with no political bias, which is extremely refreshing in this day and age. He will crucify a liberal, a conservative, an independent, a black or a white equally.

I know that everything has to do with timing and context and whether something gains traction in the media or not. I just find it interesting and I do believe that he will lose his job over it, which he probably should.....but he probably should have lost it many times in the past also.

Why now??

Old 04-12-2007, 08:29 AM

2,971 posts, read 2,246,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post

lol

~T
I agree. How many white people have been called "kinky-haired." But the "ho" part is offensive. That is where he crossed the line.

A "common hair problem"-too funny. It is only a problem if you don't like curly hair! White gals and blacks alike spend alot of time straightening our hair!

Old 04-12-2007, 08:32 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,629,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post

lol

~T
I know what it means, but obviously others do not, saying it was racial and it has "deep history" in reference to black people. My friend has very curly frizzy hear, she calls herself nappy head!!! and she is white.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:35 AM

68,285 posts, read 54,079,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colomonter View Post
Should there be stricter quidelines on what people can say on TV or radio...yes I think that there should be, but not just because of what was said this time.

Why?

And how would you propose choosing just who would set those standards?

I find it offensive that there was a bigger media flap and government reaction about Janet Jackson's 'wardrobe malfunction' than about the care returning combat wounded are receiving.

THAT's offensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies