Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do we need to solve first?
Rising out of wedlock births 6 35.29%
Rising teenage pregnancy rates 5 29.41%
High divorce rates 1 5.88%
Mixed 0 0%
They're all equally important 3 17.65%
Unsure 0 0%
No Opinion 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 01:51 PM

403 posts, read 1,580,362 times

Advertisements

I think we need to reduce out of wedlock births, I don't have a problem with teenagers who are 18 and 19 years old having babies (as long as they are married.) But I don't think anyone under 18 should have babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 02:55 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
I'd say teenage pregnancy.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:15 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
I think we need to reduce out of wedlock births, I don't have a problem with teenagers who are 18 and 19 years old having babies (as long as they are married.) But I don't think anyone under 18 should have babies.
The first thing we need to do is better educate adolescents regarding safe sex and the committment bringing a child into this world requires. Trying to set arbitrary age limits and marriage criteria based on ones personal ideology has NO chance of doing anything positive.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
I voted teenage pregnancy (which also can be categorized as an out-of-wedlock pregnancy). When I think of teenage pregnancy I think of 14-17 year old girls having babies before they've finished high school. If they don't finish high school that can (but not always) put them at a disadvantage when seeking a job or advancing to a higher education. This disadvantage undermines the chances of the baby having a secure home and secure future.

The other two, out-of-wedlock pregnancies and divorce, are not as significant, in my opinion. They are not ideal and getting married and staying married should be encouraged but at the end of the day both are matters between the individuals involved and not something that society, collectively, needs to deal with.

Marriage is a matter of choice - I do not consider marriage to be a prerequisite to successful childbearing as people can be good parents and role models without marrying each other.

Divorce is a matter of reality - people grow apart, start to see things differently, develop different goals, etc. People should not be forced to stay married under such circumstances.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:32 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I personally don't care about any of these issues as long as nobody wants to raise my taxes to bail stupid people out.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:28 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,333,474 times
I voted for rising out of wedlock births because I see it as more than just a problem with teenage girls. I live in a poorer county in Florida. Sometimes it seems like marriage is becoming a thing of the past here. Girls and women realize it's better not to get married. Marriage means a loss of their benefits. I even see these practices going from generation to generation. I'm sure I'll get knocked for this, but it's a very growing problem in this country. Not only do illegals know how to work the system, but too many Americans are working it now also.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:06 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I personally don't care about any of these issues as long as nobody wants to raise my taxes to bail stupid people out.
Amen!

Old 06-07-2009, 05:48 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
The first thing we need to do is better educate adolescents regarding safe sex and the committment bringing a child into this world requires. Trying to set arbitrary age limits and marriage criteria based on ones personal ideology has NO chance of doing anything positive.
lmmfao. yeah, we all know how great government education works.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:53 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Of the issues listed as choices in the poll all are family centered. That
said, I would choose other issues that affect the family unit before I
worried about the unit itself.

So in my humble opinion the lack of a good job that pays decent wages
with some benefits would be the top choice for me. Not much else can
rip a family apart faster that poverty or financial hardship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies