Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "Gay gene" bill: Support or oppose?
Support 12 50.00%
Oppose 11 45.83%
Other/Undecided 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:53 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

We will likely be forced to deal with this someday, among many other questions about genetic manipulation. Honestly, I hope I live to see the day it happens, because I think it will be fascinating to watch it all play out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 12:57 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,305,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
We will likely be forced to deal with this someday, among many other questions about genetic manipulation. Honestly, I hope I live to see the day it happens, because I think it will be fascinating to watch it all play out.
Aren't you gay and why would you like this to happen?

Old 06-08-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
Aren't you gay and why would you like this to happen?
Yes, I'm gay. I can't say that I would like for it to happen, but I accept the fact that most people (many gays, even) would prefer to have heterosexual kids. It's really the debate about it that fascinates me more than simply the idea of eliminating homosexuality from society.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:07 AM

37 posts, read 56,468 times
I haven't seen it brought up yet, maybe it has, but wouldn't genetic manipulation pretty much be eugenics? This all leads to concepts that spurned ideology like Nazism.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Vette View Post
I haven't seen it brought up yet, maybe it has, but wouldn't genetic manipulation pretty much be eugenics? This all leads to concepts that spurned ideology like Nazism.
Nah, it's just science fiction right now.

As for it being eugenics, yeah, I guess it could be considered that. It depends on how you look at sexual orientation, I think, and what you consider to be normal and healthy. If and when this situation actually presents itself to society, it will certainly force people to learn more about sexual orientation and how it develops. Although the major medical and psychological organizations say that homosexuality is normal, there are still lots of folks who strongly disagree with that, for a variety of reasons.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:27 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,305,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaw45 View Post
I posed this question in another thread and decided it'd make a decent topic of its own. I'll just copy what I posted there.

So let's say then, theoretically, that they were to one day discover the specific genetic cause of homosexuality. Let's also say that they were able to find a way to alter it before birth(or even during the individuals lifetime) so as to prevent the expression of any homosexual traits.

Let's say that legislation is coming up in Congress now pertaining to this very subject. The bill will allow hospitals to perform procedures in order to identify the gene during pre-natal care and it will also allow them, with parental consent, to go ahead with the procedure should the "gay gene" be identified. The bill also contains provisions allowing living homosexuals to, if they so choose, undergo a similar procedure whereby doctors would be able to limit the expression of homosexual traits, resulting in a heterosexual individual.
Would you support that bill, or would you oppose it?

I pose this question because the debate always tends to be about whether or not it is a choice. I have personally believed that it is something people are born with, but what would happen if technology suddenly made that debate irrelevant and created a decision of some sort?

Notes: The procedure would result in a heterosexual individual. Tests have indicated that there are no significant side effects and that individuals who have undergone the procedure live healthy, normal lives. It is also not a government funded initiative-this bill will only make it legal for hospitals to carry out the proceduire.
Every gay person would love this idea and would wish this for this to happen.
Man to man is wrong and very dirty!

Old 06-08-2009, 01:50 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
I am against anything at all that will impose upon the freedom of another without due process, and no forcing of what someone may or may not believe in just because it is politically correct.

criminals and politicians are exempt from my belief, they all can rot on Adak island for all I care.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:36 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaw45 View Post
I posed this question in another thread and decided it'd make a decent topic of its own. I'll just copy what I posted there.

So let's say then, theoretically, that they were to one day discover the specific genetic cause of homosexuality. Let's also say that they were able to find a way to alter it before birth(or even during the individuals lifetime) so as to prevent the expression of any homosexual traits.

Let's say that legislation is coming up in Congress now pertaining to this very subject. The bill will allow hospitals to perform procedures in order to identify the gene during pre-natal care and it will also allow them, with parental consent, to go ahead with the procedure should the "gay gene" be identified. The bill also contains provisions allowing living homosexuals to, if they so choose, undergo a similar procedure whereby doctors would be able to limit the expression of homosexual traits, resulting in a heterosexual individual.
Would you support that bill, or would you oppose it?

I pose this question because the debate always tends to be about whether or not it is a choice. I have personally believed that it is something people are born with, but what would happen if technology suddenly made that debate irrelevant and created a decision of some sort?

Notes: The procedure would result in a heterosexual individual. Tests have indicated that there are no significant side effects and that individuals who have undergone the procedure live healthy, normal lives. It is also not a government funded initiative-this bill will only make it legal for hospitals to carry out the proceduire.
Why would I want to mess with what God made, there is no health issue and they will lead healthy normal lives either way. I am sure some people would love to have the option, but would also be some of the same people that say we should not do stem cell research or change the genes so that the child has blond hair instead of black, meaning Hypocrites.
Was an interesting question.
Casper

Old 06-08-2009, 10:55 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Are we not "playing God" by snuffing out life as we see fit? I really don't see the difference.
Not to sound callous, but life is taken all the time by anything imaginable. Genetically altering humans is too much power to have in our hands. If you're coming from the pro life POV imagine it this way. Would you want a race of beings that kills babies to be designing and creating human beings in a lab? I mean if we are so barbaric for aborting babies What will we do when we can make another human being exactly how we want?

We are not responsible enough as humans to have this ability in our hands.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:09 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
I think it should be left up to the parents if they want their unborn child to undergo gene therapy.

There are many abnormal genetic defects which are unhealthy and undesirable in humans and if it is at all possible to correct them before the child is born it is beneficial to do so.

It is possible to influence the sex of your unborn child by sex selection. Also hair color and eye color. Also possible to remove certain genetically inherited disease in the lab with assisted reproduction.

Not science fiction anymore.

What I'm not 100% certain of is if there is a gene which influences how your sexuality develops. A "gay gene" I don't think exists any more than a "hetero gene" does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies