Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:22 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times

Advertisements

I’ve heard a lot of criticism about NPR so I decided to listen to it the last few weeks.
I had only listened to Air America and Nova M Radio that I’ve enjoyed very much since a lot of their shows are similar to “The Daily Show” and are constantly joking around and making people laugh.

I always hear people saying that NPR is leftwing,
Seems to me like NPR is more “British” or “European” radio than “American left wing”.
Because they spend more time talking about British issues than issues related to America’s poor people.

After a few weeks of listening to it, I realize that almost every single person in NPR talks like a computer program.
What’s the deal with that? Can anybody in their right mind listen to their computer generated voice for more than 1 hour without falling asleep or going crazy?

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 09:36 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Maybe computer programs are programmed to sound like NPR announcers.

They just sound like announcers who read well and have good diction, to me. They speak calmly...not racing to fit 80 seconds of information into 30 seconds like an action traffic reporter.

Daniel Schorr doesnt sound like a CP...Terry Gross doesnt... what NPR programs are you thinking of?

Old 06-08-2009, 09:54 AM

Veeeeery monotone, with very little to almost no emotions
I can imagine them in the radio station wearing a tie and sitting straight during the whole show.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:54 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Seems to me like NPR is more “British” or “European” radio than “American left wing”. Because they spend more time talking about British issues than issues related to America’s poor people.[=]
What NPR programs are you listening to? While certain public radio stations use the BBC's World News to supplement for original programing, I'm frankly clueless as to what you are talking about.

Quote:
After a few weeks of listening to it, I realize that almost every single person in NPR talks like a computer program.
Tom and Ray Magliozzi (Car Talk) sound like computers?

Terri Gross sounds like a computer?

I could go on...

National Public Radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-08-2009, 09:56 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Veeeeery monotone, with very little to almost no emotions
That's how journalist used to sound before screaming and yelling became the style du jour.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What NPR programs are you listening to?
Yeah, what programs?

Maybe you're used to screaming commercial channels. It is an adjustment...like learning about baseball kinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Tom and Ray Magliozzi (Car Talk) sound like computers?

Terri Gross sounds like a computer?

I could go on...

National Public Radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Forgot about Car Talk

they're definitely not computers though!

Old 06-08-2009, 10:23 AM

Man, I guess I really should stop listening to rightwing propaganda radio.
I enjoy much more a radio style as I said before, like “The Daily Show” or “Colbert”. I’ve taken hundreds of science classes and I could teach some, but when I’m listening to radio (NPR) I don’t want to feel as if I’m back in a biology lab listening to a 80-year-old professor teach for 2-3 hours straight while everybody’s stomach are groaning.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:36 AM

Local programs?

Old 06-08-2009, 10:45 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Man, I guess I really should stop listening to rightwing propaganda radio.
I enjoy much more a radio style as I said before, like “The Daily Show” or “Colbert”. I’ve taken hundreds of science classes and I could teach some, but when I’m listening to radio (NPR) I don’t want to feel as if I’m back in a biology lab listening to a 80-year-old professor teach for 2-3 hours straight while everybody’s stomach are groaning.
Well, if you're listening to one of their news shows, that's what you're getting--news. Not sensationalist editorializing, like you get on some of the mainstream media. And based on your comments, you may be listening to some of the BBC programming, or the NPR stuff on SiriusXM, which is different from the stuff on your local public radio station. But I don't think you can beat Morning Edition or All Things Considered for news shows.

The Daily Show and Colbert are NOT news shows. They're entertainment. NPR also has entertainment like Whaddyaknow and that Lake Woebegone show whose name is escaping me, but I don't happen to like either of those.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:45 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Actually, I prefer the 'monotone' of NPR. I like the fact that they enunciate their words, speak clearly and intelligably and get their words and facts across without yelling and carrying on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies