Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:46 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Media Matters for America is a Web-based, not-for-profit, 501(c)(3) progressive research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media.

Launched in May 2004, Media Matters for America put in place, for the first time, the means to systematically monitor a cross section of print, broadcast, cable, radio, and Internet media outlets for conservative misinformation — news or commentary that is not accurate, reliable, or credible and that forwards the conservative agenda — every day, in real time.

Using the website mediamatters.org as the principal vehicle for disseminating research and information, Media Matters posts rapid-response items as well as longer research and analytic reports documenting conservative misinformation throughout the media. Additionally, Media Matters works daily to notify activists, journalists, pundits, and the general public about instances of misinformation, providing them with the resources to rebut false claims and to take direct action against offending media institutions.

This comes from the MediaMatters website and tells me that their purpose is to prove that primarily Fox and some of the internet people are passing on anything but the truth most of the time. On the same page that I took these words from there is proof that their main aim was Fox from the start. Now, tell me who funds MediaMatters so this old conservative can get away from what you accuse me of.

http://mediaattrs.org/p/about_us (broken link)
And you love yourself some conservative misinformation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 01:48 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
I saw this on the Daily Show tonight.

Hannity crops clip to claim Obama "decided to give 9-11 sympathizers a voice" in Cairo speech | Media Matters for America

Hannity (and crew) edited a clip of Obama mid-sentence to change its meaning.
I'm surprised there aren't 7 threads here endorsing it already.
I saw Hannity completely change the context of an Obama statement to suggest that Obama was comparing himself to FDR (he only said his administration has done more than any other since FDR).

But Hannity put together all sorts of carefully chosen clips juxtaposing the two presidents.

It's really sad - and should be criminal - how much Fox News is allowed to distort facts and spin to serve an agenda of propaganda. All the news outlets do it to some degree (MSNBC being the second worst offender), but Fox takes it to unprecedented levels of unethical behavior.

I read another poster say "You can believe it or not blah blah blah free speech".

No. You don't have the right to lie and distort statements. It should be prosecuted or fined.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:59 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
That's right...the Founding Fathers Fairness Doctrine.
Could you show me somewhere that we find the grouping of words you just posted. The Founding Fathers Fairness Doctrine. What does that mean? Does it mean what has been said today, that we are all free to say what we might unless it crosses the thinking of a liberal? What does that mean?

Old 06-09-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
And you love yourself some conservative misinformation!
Are you saying that liberals never pass on any misinformation? I think you need to look around a bit.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:02 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,773 times
Quote:
I saw this on the Daily Show tonight.

Hannity crops clip to claim Obama "decided to give 9-11 sympathizers a voice" in Cairo speech | Media Matters for America

Hannity (and crew) edited a clip of Obama mid-sentence to change its meaning.
I'm surprised there aren't 7 threads here endorsing it already.
Yeah, that is terrible. Kind of reminds me of all of the editing that the other stations do constantly of all of their interviews. Can you say hypocrisy?

Old 06-09-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
When a television program encourages low-information viewers to become murderers - there's a definite problem.

Let me ask you this - If a person goes from a free market job to doing the same job for the government - do you think that their ability to reason goes out the window?

Do you have blind faith in the private sector?
Or do you think that everyone is incompetent and you'd be complaining regardless?
I would say that when one makes that change from free market to government his thinking would change in order to keep his job. Do you see that possibility?

Old 06-09-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The video they link to, however, is directly from the Fox broadcast. The fact that it was linked on MediaMatters does not make that broadcast null.
Very true, but The Man has tried to kill the use of the word terrorist and many of us think he is too generous to the terrorist murderers and needs to go back to the word. We all know that the Homeland Security people have told us that we need to use different words to talk about terrorists and Obama uses one of them.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:18 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,195 times
So if Hannity spliced some sound bytes together tomorrow to make it sound like Obama said "I am a Muslim and I was responsible for 9-11",(not out of the realm of possibility for the virtuous Sean) this should fall under the umbrella of free speech ensuring he and FOX immunity from any penalty?

Old 06-09-2009, 02:21 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Do you understand why Obama's moving away from the word "terrorist"?

It's to lessen their power and authority in the Middle East. It's a game of linguistics, and he's putting our ego aside to reduce their power amongst moderates.
If you hated the United States, would you be more compelled to join a group of "terrorists" or a group of "extremists"? Nobody wants to be called an extremist. It implies they're not correct - off to the far side. However, many people with vengeance in their blood want to be a terrorist against the enemy.

See what Obama's doing? He's not allowing them the pleasure of calling themselves terrorists.

Same reason he stopped calling it a "war". When you engage in a war, you engage with a nation or acknowledged adversary which you consider to be on equal footing as your own nation. It gives them a power and a seat at the table they do not deserve.

Britain realized this long ago - they reduced their rhetoric down to what it is - dealing with criminals in much the way the mafia was dealt with, not waging a war.

It's very smart military politics if you'd let yourself see what he's doing. It's in our best interest.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:24 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm666 View Post
I don't think these guys saw the same speech I did.Obama did mention terrorists,terrorism,he just didn't call it that word.He also mentioned that Muslims around the world have to play their role by rooting out terrorists within their borders.These conservatives only hear what they want to hear.Fox News falsely asserted Obama claimed "there is no more terrorism" | Media Matters for America
How is this news? News is when Fox makes a claim about Obama that isn't false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies