Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:31 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
LOL, ok, & I care that santa has good healthcare. Are we even?

I must say you are obtuse. Do ever speak plainly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I know who many of those Dems are already, and listed a couple in another post in this thread.

The bottom line is that entrenched politicians, regardless of party, become creatures of Washington (or their state capitals) and only pretend to care about the needs of their troubled districts when it's election time. This isn't a red/blue issue. What did Jesse Helms ever do for poor rural whites in Appalachian areas of North Carolina or poor blacks in Durham? What did George Allen ever do for poor blacks in Richmond or for poor whites in Virginia's Appalachian areas?

Again, Republicans (conservatives anyway) don't do identity politics. They believe in low taxes, small government and competition. This philosophy helps everyone

Old 06-10-2009, 09:37 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I must say you are obtuse. Do ever speak plainly?
Plainly? No, I'm sorry but I am not a plain person.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Plainly? No, I'm sorry but I am not a plain person.

OK I would settle for coherently.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Again, Republicans (conservatives anyway) don't do identity politics. They believe in low taxes, small government and competition.
If small government is your god, then tell me: why the f**k do right-wingers pitch a fit when a state legislates something? Ohhhh....I'm thinking....gay marriage. And if competition is your game, are you ok w/the fact that there are so many people who are stuck w/ TimeWarner Cable?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
OK I would settle for coherently.
I've only had a couple glasses of cabernet so I'm pretty coherent, so I'm thinking the confusion is all on your part at this point.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:41 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Interstingly enough I have no idea what you mean?
Here are some sample counties you can find others but the general trend is the same.

For big city liberal counties lets take
Queens NY,
Los Angles CA,
Bronx County NY,
New Orleans County LA,
Suffolk County MA (Boston)

and compare them with some rural republican counties

Mercer WV,
Blaine OK,
Jeff Davis GA,
Owyhee ID,
Oliver ND,

Here is how they stack up

Median income 2000 Census

Democratic Cities

Los Angeles $42,129
Suffolk County $39,355
Queens County $37,439
Bronx County $27,611
New Orleans County (N\A external factors)

Republican Rural

Mercer $15,564
Blaine $28,353
Jeff Davis $27,310
Owyhee $28,399
Oliver $36,650

If you would care to look you will find similar disparities in % with college education. These areas are randomly selected, but the trend is apparent if you look at averages for all counties rated urban/rural. Quality of life may be difficult to measure, but large cities generally are rated high because of the better access to transport, shops, entertainment, dining and cultural events. I hope this answers your question.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:42 PM

486 posts, read 983,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Grade your own "liberal kingdom".... The Bronx, Harlem, East St. Louis, Da South Side o' Chicago... East LA... you get the picture...

a) Education

b) Standard of Living

c) Crime rate

d) Job Opportunities

e) Overall Happiness
I wasn't going to respond until I read.. the Bronx. Although the Bronx has areas in need to development and as a whole isn't a "rich" county. It has been improving tremendously and it's nothing like the Bronx you are probably talking about. The 80's Bronx. I invite you to come to neighborhoods like Pelham Gardens, Pelham Bay, Riverdale, Woodlawn, Morris Park, just to mention the best of them..... ALL IN THE BRONX!! Yes, the Bronx has nice, family-oriented, residential, safe, clean and desired neighborhoods!!
They're gorgeous, the crime rate is low, the standard of living is great since you are still in NYC and have the comodities the city has to offer without having to be in the middle of the hussle and bussle. Job opportunities are good because you're close to Manhattan. Well, because of the economy being sh*t now the job opportunities aren't endless anymore, but they're still good.

For example, I moved back to NYC in 2007 from Boston, I came down to NY for interviews before moving back and it only took me 2 days to get a job in the City as a Software Engineer! So please, quit talking about "liberal Kingdoms" with low A,B,C,D,E. If you aren't here, you don't know. PERIOD. Is good to complain about things you have no clue about. So go on, stay in your cloud!

Oh and just as an FYI: Ghettos don't equal liberals. Liberals don't equal ghettos.
You have rich, poor and middle class liberals.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Again, Republicans (conservatives anyway) don't do identity politics. They believe in low taxes, small government and competition. This philosophy helps everyone
Jesse Helms practiced identity politics as much as any Dem ever did. Do you even know anything about Helms' career and campaigns?

As I said earlier, Goldwater unfortunately is dead, so are Buckley and Kemp. For that matter, so is Reagan - not that Reagan ever did much for the poor and minorities but he wasn't a racist. He had prejudices but they were along class lines, not ethnic/racial lines.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
If small government is your god, then tell me: why the f**k do right-wingers pitch a fit when a state legislates something? Ohhhh....I'm thinking....gay marriage. And if competition is your game, are you ok w/the fact that there are so many people who are stuck w/ TimeWarner Cable?

Uh state legislatures are part of government.

You won't be stuck for long. We in NJ have a choice of FIOS, Cabel or satellite. I am sure they will come to you soon. All this competiton has lead to very good pricing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies