U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:20 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,297,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Not that it really matters but the average American IQ is 100.
The average white American (or college-educated American of any race) is about 115-120.
Men score slightly higher than women, on average.
Whites score higher than people of color, on average.
The affluent score higher than the poor, on average.
100 is not so much an "average" score as it is a median.
The reason the median is 100 is that the disadvantaged, inner-city dwellers, those who live in poverty, and first-generation Americans typically have an IQ of about 78-80.
Put those scores together with our scores (about 115-120), and you come out with a median of around 100.

The IQ test is somewhat controversial, though; some people claim the test itself is racist/ sexist/ subtly biased in favor of white males.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 10:24 PM

19,891 posts, read 16,319,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
That doesn't change the fact that we are locking up a retarded person for 100 years.
I agree, if you read my previous posts I said there is probably a suitable punishment somewhere between 100 years and nothing. I am just a stickler for facts. We all have computers before we make assertions we should type a couple of key strokes to make sure we are right.

I too am guilty of making assertions I am sure are true only to later find out I was 100% wrong. I try to avoid this as much as possible.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
The average white American (or college-educated American of any race) is about 115-120.
Men score slightly higher than women, on average.
Whites score higher than people of color, on average.
The affluent score higher than the poor, on average.
100 is not so much an "average" score as it is a median.
The reason the median is 100 is that the disadvantaged, inner-city dwellers, those who live in poverty, and first-generation Americans typically have an IQ of about 78-80.
Put those scores together with our scores (about 115-120), and you come out with a median of around 100.

The IQ test is somewhat controversial, though; some people claim the test itself is racist/ sexist/ subtly biased in favor of white males.
Please post a link that shows the average IQ 115 to 120. If you wish to change the parameters that is fine. But your original post said computer literate. I believe people without college degrees can be computer literate.

None of this really matters.

http://www.geocities.com/rnseitz/Definition_of_IQ.html

Old 06-12-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Please post a link that shows the average IQ 115 to 120. If you wish to change the parameters that is fine. But your original post said computer literate. I believe people without college degrees can be computer literate.
I used "computer literate" as a criteria because it's the only thing that I know for sure all of us here have in common, seeing as how we're all on our computers right now.
Computer literate = literate + able to afford/ access a computer.
The average IQ on this forum is no doubt around 120.
The average IQ, say, in a prison, or in an inner-city project, is going to be around 80.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
I used "computer literate" as a criteria because it's the only thing that I know for sure all of us here have in common, seeing as how we're all on our computers right now.
Computer literate = literate + able to afford/ access a computer.
The average IQ on this forum is no doubt around 120.
The average IQ, say, in a prison, or in an inner-city project, is going to be around 80.
Again you are simply wrong IQ of 120 is well above average. Although i am sure my fellow posters are above average in many ways I suspect IQ is not one of them.

I await a link proving me wrong.

http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/IQBasics.aspx

Again none of this really matters.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Again you are simply wrong IQ of 120 is well above average. Although i am sure my fellow posters are above average in many ways I suspect IQ is not one of them.

I await a link proving me wrong.

No, I am not "simply wrong".
115-120 is a perfectly average IQ for a typical white middle-class individual, of either sex.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
No, I am not "simply wrong".
115-120 is a perfectly average IQ for a typical white middle-class individual, of either sex.
Link? (don't bother you won't find one)

And now you are further refining your parameters to middle class white. I suspect your next post will read 120 IQ is typical for a person with a 120 IQ!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Link?

And now you are further refining your parameters to middle class white. I suspect your next post will read 120 IQ is typical for a person with a 120 IQ!
Race and intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's an IQ graph in this article.
Some of the reasons for the discrepancy between the IQs of various races and socioeconomic classes are discussed. The discrepancy is largely due to environmental factors.
I personally do not discount, one bit, the possibility that the standard IQ test like Wechsler might be biased in favor of a particular race, sex, and class (this being the race, sex, and class which developed the test in the first place).

Old 06-12-2009, 10:55 PM

2,105 posts, read 1,195,869 times
I wonder sometimes how some people get through normal life, you know, having real life (non-internet) debates or arguments with acquaintances, friends, coworkers, or relatives when they don't have links with them to "prove" what they say. Maybe we should all start carrying around text books and magazines, just in case we might happen to debate anything with anyone.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:59 PM

You are kidding right. Your own link says the studies are not valid. Please pull from you link anything that would support you statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies