U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 01:20 PM

3,854 posts, read 3,744,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
If they got LWOP I'd be OK so long as that really meant LIFE and not 5 years.
LWOP means LWOP. Where did you get the idea it would mean 5 years or anything other than Life Without Parole (Ever)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 02:07 PM

1,563 posts, read 1,661,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
LWOP means LWOP. Where did you get the idea it would mean 5 years or anything other than Life Without Parole (Ever)?
Mike Dukakas ring a bell? He personally had a violent criminal released and that criminal killed again. Willy Horton was his name.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:14 PM

19,891 posts, read 16,326,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
It seems highly unlikely to me that an individual with an IQ of 47 is even verbal.
I mean, how did he "confess"?
Point at some anatomically-correct doll and grunt?
people with IQs of 47 don't talk.
That is a profoundly, profoundly retarded individual.
I'm surprised he wasn't institutionalized, and double surprised he was allowed to roam the neighborhood unsupervised and unprotected.
It sounds like a completely unsuitable environment for someone that disabled.
No its not profound retardation look at post 39.

It is actually on the high end of moderate retardation.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:22 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,246,587 times
Quote:
Ahhh, yet again, a simple world for the simple minded.
You have no idea of the details in this case and the opinions of the jurors. Simple minded is a liberal who enjoys casting judgment when he knows less than all the facts. How does it taste? If he raped a young child and showed no remorse he should never be allowed back into society again. Children must be protected from sick disturbed minds. What if he raped your young child? I wonder what you would think of that.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:27 PM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,120,136 times
If people really are unable to distinguish between a grown adult with a normal adult IQ raping children and a person with a chronological age of 18 and a mental age of 18 months touching another child then I hope and pray they are never allowed to sit on a jury. I am one of the strongest voices against child abuse in my community. I fought for and achieved the defeat of a district attorney who would not pursue long prison terms for those who abuse children. But I am clearly intelligent enough and humane enough to not want a baby in prison being raped and abused and that is exactly what has happened with this charge and sentence. It is beyond belief that any human being could stand by and see a frightened person with the mind of a baby face such horror. Do you not understand that this too IS child abuse?

Old 06-12-2009, 02:35 PM

19,891 posts, read 16,326,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
If people really are unable to distinguish between a grown adult with a normal adult IQ raping children and a person with a chronological age of 18 and a mental age of 18 months touching another child then I hope and pray they are never allowed to sit on a jury. I am one of the strongest voices against child abuse in my community. I fought for and achieved the defeat of a district attorney who would not pursue long prison terms for those who abuse children. But I am clearly intelligent enough and humane enough to not want a baby in prison being raped and abused and that is exactly what has happened with this charge and sentence. It is beyond belief that any human being could stand by and see a frightened person with the mind of a baby face such horror. Do you not understand that this too IS child abuse?

I agree this person doesn't deserve 100 years but you do your argument a disservice when comparing him to an 18 month old. Although his IQ is quite low it is not so low that he is rendered incapable of moving or thinking or acting.

"People with moderate retardation have IQ's from about 40 to the low 50's. Educational goals for moderately retarded children focus on teaching them to care for themselves and other practical skills. Some can learn a little reading and writing. In some cases, adults with moderate retardation can work at suitable jobs at home or in special workshops. "

http://www.a2zpsychology.com/psychol...etardation.htm

Old 06-12-2009, 02:58 PM

3,854 posts, read 3,744,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Mike Dukakas ring a bell? He personally had a violent criminal released and that criminal killed again. Willy Horton was his name.
OMG! How many YEARS ago was that??? Ya think the laws have not been changed since then? You need to get yourself up to date a little bit.

I can tell you the year LWOP was introducedin Florida. 1996.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
OMG! How many YEARS ago was that??? Ya think the laws have not been changed since then? You need to get yourself up to date a little bit.

I can tell you the year LWOP was introducedin Florida. 1996.
What should it matter when it happen. Do we look down on Miranda and Escobedo cases because they happened decades ago?

Old 06-12-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Because the laws are different now.
They are? I did not know the Miranda laws changed!

Old 06-12-2009, 03:26 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,222,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
They are? I did not know the Miranda laws changed!
I was referring to the people who were released after 5 years - the laws have been changed so that life, at least in some cases, actually means LIFE in most states. There's a difference between life with the possibility of parole and life without parole. Many, if not most, of those states that offer a life with the possibility of parole sentence have changed their laws to push parole eligibility up to 25, 30, or even 40 years.

I wasn't talking about the Miranda laws; I made an error and quoted the wrong post. I deleted it to clear up any confusion.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 06-12-2009 at 03:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies