U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 08:07 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,779,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Really? Why can't a Republican minority disagree with the (stale) majority without being called some sort of racist or in this case unpatriotic.
Surely it's ok to call a spade a spade (in the words of Rev. Wright, no less)when someone acts in a racist manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 08:10 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,869,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Surely it's ok to call a spade a spade (in the words of Rev. Wright, no less)when someone acts in a racist manner.
Please detail what Martinez said that was racist...I'll wait.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:14 AM

15,254 posts, read 16,769,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Martinez is another one that looks out for the best interest of Mexico over America.
He was born in Cuba. Why would he be looking out for the best interests of Mexico? And even if he were, what would that have to do with Sotomayor, who is the daughter of Puerto Rican immigrants?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:15 AM

3,856 posts, read 9,342,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Please detail what Martinez said that was racist...I'll wait.
Yeah Sotomayor is probably another one who holds the interest of Mexico over America!

[What? She's Puerto Rican?]

Well, she probably holds the interests of Puerto Rico over America?

[Puerto Rico is part of America?]

Never mind!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:26 AM

39,995 posts, read 24,253,880 times
Quote:
Martinez is another one that looks out for the best interest of Mexico over America.
Yeah, if he isn't with you, he must be against you.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:05 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,879,171 times
Quote:
LOL... Yes! Let's keep alienating the fastest growing group in America... lovely.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 AM

31,385 posts, read 32,007,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I guess this will add some more to the converstion on the Hill about Judge Sotomayor.

"The clips include lengthy remarks about her experiences as an “affirmative action baby” whose lower test scores were overlooked by admissions committees at Princeton University and Yale Law School because, she said, she is Hispanic and had grown up in poor circumstances. "

From Today's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/11/us...html?th&emc=th
Well what does it say about standardized test when she graduates 2nd in her class?

Old 06-11-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I guess this will add some more to the converstion on the Hill about Judge Sotomayor.

"The clips include lengthy remarks about her experiences as an “affirmative action baby” whose lower test scores were overlooked by admissions committees at Princeton University and Yale Law School because, she said, she is Hispanic and had grown up in poor circumstances. "

From Today's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/11/us...html?th&emc=th
Yes, and that's why she supports AA... it allows smart folks like her who may not have the background to score high on standardized tests to compete at our highest institutions... and guess what? Even though she had lower scores, she finished #2 in her entire class and was the editor of a Yale journal. Doesn't that prove the thesis behind AA? My own story is similar... I went to a crappy high school in NY that gave me one period (45 mins) of SAT prep... I scored decent but not great... got into a school that typically would not accept my score through AA and graduated top 15% in my class... a bunch of those kids in my school could not string together a coherent sentence but they had been prepped for the SAT since Junior High and scored well.

Anyway, this is really not a critical issue anymore... SCOTUS has ruled that race can be taken into account as one of many factors in schools admissions decisions... the issue is fairly settled.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
He was born in Cuba. Why would he be looking out for the best interests of Mexico? And even if he were, what would that have to do with Sotomayor, who is the daughter of Puerto Rican immigrants?
Cuba, Puerto Rico, Mexico.... it's all the same.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:13 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,607,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Considering the Dems have a leader who pushes through massive spending bills without time to read them, I could understand how this whole idea of review flies right over their heads.
I fear we have elected a congress where everything flies over their heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies