U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:13 PM

20,328 posts, read 13,809,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Healthcare today is controlled by the financial sector, so it's no surprise that Fortune magazine would oppose anything that would remove dollars from that sector.

Give us something a little less biased.
Did you find untruths in the article, or discard the article out of hand because you did not like the messenger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 07:14 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,235,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Obama and the Democrats are proposing just what I feared they would for health care 'reform'. They want to throw more money at an already bloated system. I'm glad I'm not the only one pointing that out. Here is the article:

Obama's health plan is no bargain: 4 reasons why - Jun. 11, 2009
That article is BS. The plan will work fine as long as almost everybody is paying into the system. And they should not charge older people more because older people have paid into the health system many more years than younger people have and younger people will probably get old someday and then they get to pay the same rate.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That article is BS. The plan will work fine as long as almost everybody is paying into the system. And they should not charge older people more because older people have paid into the health system many more years than younger people have and younger people will probably get old someday and then they get to pay the same rate.
Sounds like a Ponzi scheme:

The Ponzi scheme usually offers returns that other investments cannot guarantee in order to entice new investors, in the form of short-term returns that are either abnormally high or unusually consistent. The perpetuation of the returns that a Ponzi scheme advertises and pays requires an ever-increasing flow of money from investors in order to keep the scheme going.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:35 PM

5,390 posts, read 6,865,397 times
Quote:
Key line in your post :"The plan will work fine as long as almost everybody is paying into the system". With 40% of the people in the US not paying federal income taxes do you really think "almost everybody" will be paying into it?

Old 06-11-2009, 07:40 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,235,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Key line in your post :"The plan will work fine as long as almost everybody is paying into the system". With 40% of the people in the US not paying federal income taxes do you really think "almost everybody" will be paying into it?
I think that, yes, a much higher percentage of Americans do pay SS taxes and the Health Premium should be taxed like SS is- everybody pays and everybody plays. Actually I think more people should pay Federal Income taxes too. Only those who earn less than $24,000 a year should not pay income taxes.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:47 PM

955 posts, read 1,951,190 times
Quote:
I think that, yes, a much higher percentage of Americans do pay SS taxes and the Health Premium should be taxed like SS is- everybody pays and everybody plays. Actually I think more people should pay Federal Income taxes too. Only those who earn less than $24,000 a year should not pay income taxes.
I agree with KevK. Witholding a health premium from everyones paycheck is a great idea to fund healthcare and will take a great burden off of the employers. Removing this burden is exactly what the administration says is holding back a growing economy and therefore growing workforce.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
We'll see. Obama has led a lot of people to believe their healthcare was going to be "affordable" (whatever that means) so I'm sure low middle class and lower earners will be claiming that they can't afford to pay any premiums. Will we see another earned income tax credit type deal for health insurance premiums?

Again this leads us to why is Obama pushing something that he doesn't have a plan developed for? Get the plan going first, then try to sell us on it. We don't need town hall meetings to convince us that some people are having problems paying for health care

Old 06-11-2009, 07:50 PM

As soon as the government politicians make the case that they are paying for our health care, they will start bossing us around the same as 0bama is doing with the auto companies and any company that took TARP or bailout money.

Sorry, but I do not want the government looking upon the money going into our health care as "a burden on the taxpayers and the national health care system", and deciding it has a legitimate claim to mandating changes in my our style, our food, our weight, or recreation activities.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
I agree with KevK. Witholding a health premium from everyones paycheck is a great idea to fund healthcare and will take a great burden off of the employers. Removing this burden is exactly what the administration says is holding back a growing economy and therefore growing workforce.
And its why the democrats find themselves in league with the big corporations with this 0bama care plan.

Curious isnt it, how chummy 0bama, big corporations and Wall Street are with each other. 0bama has surrounded himself and his administration, with Wall Street elites and fat cats corporate types. I wonder if the left even realizes this at all.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
The question that needs to be answered is how much of your paycheck will be withheld. How can anyone make a rational decision on a plan that doesn't even tell you its cost?

It will be interesting to see if we are given the information on what we will each be expected to pay for this plan, including for all of the subsidized people, BEFORE the plan is passed. Right now I'm betting the answer is NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies