U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 07:46 AM

20,357 posts, read 13,878,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I struggle to imagine a political leader with dignity stooping to the name calling and back-and-forth Jerry Springer-style barbs that constantly emerge from Palin's spokesperson and husband. Just let it go. He's a comedian.

Thankfully our President rises above that. I feel sorry they forced her on McCain. He could have been good.
During her trip to New York for a charity event, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin took her daughter to a Yankees baseball game, David Letterman joked that her daughter "was knocked up by Alex Rodriguez", and that Palin herself was slutty. The next night Letterman said that the hardest part of Palin's trip was "keeping Eliot Spitzer away from her daughter."

Crude sex jokes are told by Letterman about her daughter, two nights in a row, and Letterman never cared to clarify which daughter, the 14 year old Willow, who was actually the "daughter" on the trip with Sarah Palin, or Bristol, the 18 year old. It does matter, when two out of three daughters are minors. You would think after the first night of raucous laughter at the expense of a daughter, someone on Letterman's staff would have researched their joke material a little better.

Its sort of like going hunting and shooting a fellow hunter, but you claim you were shooting at a deer. Well I'm sorry Letterman, you may have meant to target Bristol Palin, but you shot Willow instead.

After the SNL skit where the husbnad was having incest with all the Palin daughters, and now two nights of Letterman's taseless jokes, the Palin family has a right to be offended.

So what happens in three years when the campaigns start, will all of the Palin daughters eventually be fair game for national risicule, just to get to their mother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 07:57 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,582,801 times
I hope CBS is smart enough to keep Letterman. Palin should let this die or is she starting her campaign for 2012 now???

Old 06-12-2009, 08:02 AM

8,640 posts, read 7,977,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
I hope CBS is smart enough to keep Letterman. Palin should let this die or is she starting her campaign for 2012 now???

Palin would be wise to keep this in the news. It shows the hypocrisy of the left. Also decent people hate attacks on children, especially sexually suggestive attacks.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:09 AM

11,102 posts, read 13,190,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
Hell,she started HER campaign last year...I hope she keeps it going(her campaign that is) because the Dems will have a cakewalk for an election.

Let's all donate a dollar to her campaign fund boys and girls.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:12 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,810,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Personally, I think Letterman's joke was in very poor taste. It also wasn't that clever-if I was his joke writer I would have thrown that one out.

Which is what makes me suspect he did this on purpose, because "having a feud" now gives him a reason to do Palin jokes. I also think Palin is in on it, the whole thing seems calculated IMO. Sort of like the Rosie/Trump feud. Both sides benefit from the attention.

But who cares?

The bigger point is this: If Palin overreacts this way to a comedian can you imagine if she had somehow become POTUS and had to deal with terrorists?

When I see how she reacts to "provocation" I am so extremely glad she was not allowed anywhere near the job of VP (and thus possibly POTUS). IMO the really disturbing part is how she misinterpreted simple words. "Impregnated" is not the same as "rape," "one of her daughters" is not the same as "Willow." A POTUS needs to be calm and understand the precise meaning of what is being said.

I'm not always thrilled with Obama, he's not perfect. But when I see the alternative I realized we really dodged a bullet.
And pls share...just how has Palin overreacted?

She went to the game with her 14 year old. Logic dictates that that would be the only daughter A-Rod could have impregnated at that particular game.

A grown man impregnating a 14 year old. Why, that would be rape.

She reacted appropriately. You libs are silly. If buck tooth perv Dave had said that about one of those strange looking Obama kids you would want Dave taken off the air.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:17 AM

13,820 posts, read 18,787,294 times
Yes Cbs should let buck tooth dave go cause there is no question if that had been the obama kids half the nation would be up in arms over it . I think buck tooth dave needs to shut up about kids any kids he is a perv . Never did like him nor will I ever .
kuddos to sarah palin and her righteous stance against letterman . Say what you want to about me but dont you dare say nasty things about my kids that is off limits .

Old 06-12-2009, 08:25 AM

11,145 posts, read 13,912,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
During her trip to New York for a charity event, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin took her daughter to a Yankees baseball game, David Letterman joked that her daughter "was knocked up by Alex Rodriguez", and that Palin herself was slutty. The next night Letterman said that the hardest part of Palin's trip was "keeping Eliot Spitzer away from her daughter."

Crude sex jokes are told by Letterman about her daughter, two nights in a row, and Letterman never cared to clarify which daughter, the 14 year old Willow, who was actually the "daughter" on the trip with Sarah Palin, or Bristol, the 18 year old. It does matter, when two out of three daughters are minors. You would think after the first night of raucous laughter at the expense of a daughter, someone on Letterman's staff would have researched their joke material a little better.

Its sort of like going hunting and shooting a fellow hunter, but you claim you were shooting at a deer. Well I'm sorry Letterman, you may have meant to target Bristol Palin, but you shot Willow instead.

After the SNL skit where the husbnad was having incest with all the Palin daughters, and now two nights of Letterman's taseless jokes, the Palin family has a right to be offended.

So what happens in three years when the campaigns start, will all of the Palin daughters eventually be fair game for national risicule, just to get to their mother?
1. he was talking about her grown daughter, whose sexual antics have been paraded around for political gain since the campaign. Anyone with a brain would grasp the context.

2. He is a comedian, she wants to be president. I guess every off color joke by Richard Pryor and George Carlin should receive a post-humus reprimand as well?

3. I'm not defending the stupid joke, just tired of Palin turning our national discourse into a Jerry Springer episode - whether it's issuing statements from her gubernatorial office taking swipes at Levi or supporting teen pregnancy for her own daughter after condemning it for everyone else's or issuing childish statements making fun of Letterman's age and Hollywood/NY ... it's just classless.

It's fine if Rosie O'Donnell and Trump do this because they're just meaningless entertainment fodder, but she wants to be President of the United States!!! This is how normal people react. The bar is set higher for her aspirations. I couldn't fathom Obama stooping to these feuds.

If she can't handle an aging comedian or a scared teenage boy without going way over board and taking everything personally and turning everything into a drawn out media feud, how in the world does anyone think she could handle the nuanced diplomacy needed to deal with nuclear armed nations?

Republicans can do much better than this for 2012. Much better. They need to, lest she starts one of these feuds and it escalates to nuclear war.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:09 AM

25,880 posts, read 39,155,409 times
Default Dear David Letterman

Will you teach your son to talk about women and girls the way you talk about Sarah Palin and her daughters?

You called the married 45-year-old mother, grandmother and Alaska governor a "slutty flight attendant" on your national TV talk show because she happens to be a tall, beautiful and dynamic public figure who doesn't look, walk or talk the way you think she should.

RealClearPolitics - Dear David Letterman

Old 06-12-2009, 10:15 AM

12,750 posts, read 8,799,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Will you teach your son to talk about women and girls the way you talk about Sarah Palin and her daughters?

You called the married 45-year-old mother, grandmother and Alaska governor a "slutty flight attendant" on your national TV talk show because she happens to be a tall, beautiful and dynamic public figure who doesn't look, walk or talk the way you think she should.

RealClearPolitics - Dear David Letterman
Letterman is a hatemonger. You already see how he is trying to weasel his way out of it be claiming he was refering to Palin's 18 year old daughter, when it was quite clear he meant her 14 year old.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:15 AM

17,700 posts, read 35,619,485 times
If Letterman is a hatemonger, what are limbaugh, hannity and coulter?

Dear Dave,

We on the smart side of the fence understand that you are a comedian and that what happened with the Palin top 10 list was a joke gone horribly horribly wrong and that you are sorry about that. We on the smart side of the fence also understand that it's really sad that you need to lower yourself to their gutterminded levels because it was they, not you, who brought a 14 year old child into the fray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies