U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:34 PM

30,193 posts, read 16,626,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I struggle to imagine a political leader with dignity stooping to the name calling and back-and-forth Jerry Springer-style barbs that constantly emerge from Palin's spokesperson and husband. Just let it go. He's a comedian.

Thankfully our President rises above that. I feel sorry they forced her on McCain. He could have been good.
Palin was not "forced" on McCain. McCain picked her. She is more qualified to be President than either McCain or Obama.

Letterman is nothing short of disgusting. If he were a conservative, they would be demanding his resignation.

I have no respect whatsoever for Letterman. You couldn't be more wrong in your assessment.

Our President "rises above" what? What do you mean by this? We have his former Pastor in the news again, saying "Them Jews...". Obama listened to this man for 20 years! Obama agrees with "Rev" Wright. Obama is also a friend of Louis Farrakhan. Obama himself is a "Jew hater". Palin would never be a part of the kind of hatred that is being leveled at her, and she surely would not engage in the hatred against Jews that Obama has been listenting to and (by extension) agreeing with, for 20 years or more.

All Americans shoud be outraged over this. If Palin were a Democrat, it would be a different story.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 06-11-2009 at 04:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 04:36 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,882,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
David Letterman, a talk show host, describes him as “cogent, eloquent and in complete command of the issues” and sighs: “What . . . am I supposed to do with that?” The new president is “not fat, not cheating on his wife, not stupid, not angry and not a phony,” complains Bill Maher, another small-screen joker. Chris Rock, a stand-up comic, likens Obama to Brad Pitt. “There’s no Brad Pitt jokes,” he told CNN.

ECONOMIST: Comedy, the Onion and a hard-to-hit president | PressDemocrat.com | The Press Democrat | Santa Rosa, CA
Ok...When Obama gives them more material, I'm sure they'll pounce. Obama happens to not be an idiot(like the last guy) or have a trailor park/ghetto family that pretends they're pure.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:37 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,419,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm666 View Post
I think he intended for his apology to be weak as he carefully articulated each of his one liners... I actually thought it was pretty funny but hey, I do have a sense of humor.
I said earlier, some people finds guys that are dicks funny, and obviously you do. I used to watch Letterman regularly, but I started getting turned off by his humor as time went on. Sometimes his top 10 brings a smile to my face, as I occassionally check in, but I find his monologue and interviews to be lacking...and he was a huge jerk on this one.

Not sure, maybe I am offended more on this one because I have a young daughter and I would be pretty pissed at someone for making inappropriate jokes at her expense, especially if it was about some huge mistake she made that had a big negative effect on her future, like unplanned teenage pregnancy. I guess I just don't find that amusing.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:40 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,882,861 times
Nope no jokes about Obama, not even a thread..

Post you favorite Obama joke

Old 06-11-2009, 04:43 PM

8,287 posts, read 7,526,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
And for the life of me, I don't see how anyone with any sort of sense of humor could consider Letterperson a comedian. He is not funny, he is stupid and highly unintelligent like all republicans are, and he's not funny.
Was this a freudian slip? *L*

Old 06-11-2009, 04:54 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,912,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
An evaluation has been done by a few publications about the lack of jokes concerning Obama, both prior to the election and subsequent to his serving in office. Apparently Biden is the "safe" target for those in the media.
Nah - nothing to do with safe. Some people just earn respect. Don't see many jokes about Colin Powell either because people respect him and he carries himself with dignity.

Letterman was definitely inappropriate on this one, but I just don't think a potential president should respond in this manner to a silly comedian. I just can't imagine Obama issuing statements taking little barbs at someone's age or whatnot. The standards are set differently and she is not living up to them.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I struggle to imagine a political leader with dignity stooping to the name calling and back-and-forth Jerry Springer-style barbs that constantly emerge from Palin's spokesperson and husband.
You must not have been listening to Democrats for the last 20 years or so.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:57 PM

6,076 posts, read 11,014,810 times
I find it funny and I applaud Letterman for his jokes and no hold-bar attitude. Palin was so self righteous to stand up and try to preach family value during the elections, while her hussie daughter was acting like a little scank, serves her right. May she should go back to looking out for the Russian invasion.

GOOD JOB DAVID, DON"T LET UP!!!!!!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
The girl he was making the jokes about was 14...

Do you have a young daughter? I have some good jokes for you!!!!!!
There were a few others making this point this week. Wonder what the reaciton would be? But, of course, the Democrats support groups like pedophiles, gays, etc. So, perhaps they would be delighted that someone might "want" their daughters and desire to exploit them, regardless of their age. In their view, anything goes.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:10 PM

8,287 posts, read 7,526,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
The girl he was making the jokes about was 14...

Do you have a young daughter? I have some good jokes for you!!!!!!
Yikes! So you think that jokes sexually-implicit jokes about 14-year old girls and older men are "good jokes"? That's disgusting.

Letterman doesn't even cross that line!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies