Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:43 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times

Advertisements

I found the news rather sad as I do when any person feels compelled to alter their anatomy because they don't feel they fit inside it the way it is. I can wholeheartedly empathize with her predicament but I think a better solution would be for the rest of us to understand that gender isn't so black and white. I think it was wrong for medical science to attempt to do this. But I will wish her well on her journey and hope for the day when such drastic measures are not needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 09:45 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Chaz!! wonder how Cher feels about losing a daughter and gaining a son? What a perverted sick world in which we live. I am old enough to remember the Sonny and Cher show and cute little Chasity would come out with mommy and daddy, wonder if she knew then that she was really a he. So now are her/his breasts considered man boobs? Just sayin...................

Old 06-11-2009, 09:49 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Chaz!! wonder how Cher feels about losing a daughter and gaining a son? What a perverted sick world in which we live. I am old enough to remember the Sonny and Cher show and cute little Chasity would come out with mommy and daddy, wonder if she knew then that she was really a he. So now are her/his breasts considered man boobs? Just sayin...................
How is a sex change "perverted"? It is not some sex act, but look where you went in your post--straight to the gutter.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
How common are these "reassignments" anyway?
The numbers are all over the place. No one really knows because it's such a taboo subject.

In 1994, the American Psychiatric Association reported that "data from small countries in Europe with access to total population statistics and referrals suggest that roughly 1 per 30,000 adult males and 1 per 100,000 adult females seek sex reassignment surgeries."

In 1986, researchers in the Netherlands, which offers transgender-related health benefits in its universal healthcare plan, calculated the prevalence of male-to-female transsexualism at 1 in 18,000 and female-to-male at 1 in 54,000. A follow-up study from 1996 cited prevalence at 1 in 11,900 males and 1 in 30,400 females.

In 2002, Lynn Conway, a professor at the University of Michigan, estimated male-to-female transsexualism in the United States to be in the range of 1 in 500 to 1 in 2,500.

HRC | Transgender Population and Number of Transgender Employees

Old 06-11-2009, 09:51 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
from Access Hollywood

LOS ANGELES - Chastity Bono, the child of Cher and Sonny Bono, has started the process of becoming a transgender individual.

A rep for the gay rights advocate and writer confirmed Bono is undergoing the process to go from female to male.

“Chaz, after many years of consideration, has made the courageous decision to honor his true identity,” rep Howard Bragman said in a statement.

Cher’s daughter undergoing sex reassignment - Access Hollywood - msnbc.com

What will her new name be? Cheney Bono?

Old 06-11-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I found the news rather sad as I do when any person feels compelled to alter their anatomy because they don't feel they fit inside it the way it is. I can wholeheartedly empathize with her predicament but I think a better solution would be for the rest of us to understand that gender isn't so black and white. I think it was wrong for medical science to attempt to do this. But I will wish her well on her journey and hope for the day when such drastic measures are not needed.
Yeah, I've entertained those thoughts too. Obviously, people have lived for a long time with this condition without having surgery to "fix" it. I do think a very good argument could be made that there's nothing wrong with feeling like you don't "match" the body you were born with; it's the gender norms of a society that contribute to the problem, not the individual himself (or herself).

Old 06-11-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
How is a sex change "perverted"? It is not some sex act, but look where you went in your post--straight to the gutter.
Are you surprised at all by some of the comments? I'm not.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:58 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
So how does that work? She declared herself a lesbian and someone here reported she has a partner. When she has her sex change, does that make her a heterosexual and her partner one, too, if she stays with her?

These sorts of things are confusing.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
So how does that work? She declared herself a lesbian and someone here reported she has a partner. When she has her sex change, does that make her a heterosexual and her partner one, too, if she stays with her?

I think she'll define herself however she wants, and I believe that's the way it should be.

I worked at a gay helpline many years ago. There was a transgendered woman who called us regularly. (She used to be a guy.) She was now living her life as a gay woman. Like I said, I think people should be able to define themselves however they want. I take it as an opportunity to learn something but also as an opportunity to be thankful that I haven't had to deal with anything like that.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:05 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post

ya think? Actually that is part of the gig, it is complicated, confusing and complex. You know things arent actually like those closed minded bigots who think that its as simple as,you know, if you have a penis you are a man and if you have a vagina you are a woman, penis goes in vagina,etc.........
What a bunch of old fashioned primadonnas!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies