U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:47 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,512,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I agree that she used the fake folksy language as a ploy of sorts. Her studied broadcast journalism, albeit at a series of fifth rate colleges, and surely learned something about public speaking. I've met her parents...they don't talk that way.

There is footage from old speeches, et al, that show a different Sarah...no cheesy winking, no "you betchas"...she didn't utilize that style when she was employed at an Anchorage television station either.
Is it common there for folksy Alaskans there to insert there everywhere there like Palin The Ignorant Dope does there?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 06:51 PM

6,745 posts, read 8,273,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
And a lot of those Norwegians and Swedes were transplanted to Alaska during the 1930s from Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the Dakotas.
Is that true? I live in Minnesota, and I hear "you betcha" every day. I am guilty of it too. I thought Palin spoke like she was from MN.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:28 PM

21,646 posts, read 27,723,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Considering that you only pretend to live in Alaska, it does not surprise me that you have never heard the phrase in Alaska.
Hey buddy, if you want to believe that, that's more than ok with me. Nice of all these pretend king salmon to fatten up my pretend bank account

Quote:
Is it common there for folksy Alaskans there to insert there everywhere there like Palin The Ignorant Dope does there?????
No.

Quote:
And a lot of those Norwegians and Swedes were transplanted to Alaska during the 1930s from Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the Dakotas.
True...but that mostly affected the Mat Valley. There's a lot more to Alaska than just that area

Quote:
I have to agree with Met on this one. I've been living in Alaska for seven months now and, so far, I'm the only one who has said 'you betcha'. And, that's probably because my home base is in the North Dakota. Lots of Norweigens der don'cha know, yah, you betcha!
That sort of language is rarely heard within our lovely Tongass National Rain Forest. Perhaps they speak that way more in Whitesilla; I really wouldn't know as when I lived in the Su Valley I would just keep on driving through that place until I was back in AK I think I stopped at Freddies there a time or two though. Then I discovered online shopping, thank Heaven.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:36 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,512,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Is that true? I live in Minnesota, and I hear "you betcha" every day. I am guilty of it too. I thought Palin spoke like she was from MN.
Absolutely NOT!!! No way....ya, there might be SOME screeching, whiney, nasally challenged illiterate women in Minnesota but NOT ALL Minnesotans speak the same way!!!

We didn't all descend from a big Scandinavian...there are descendents of all continents here!
However, MOST Minnesotans who have been here forever do NOT have any accent....we speak like the anchors on the national news...NO accent.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Is that true? I live in Minnesota, and I hear "you betcha" every day. I am guilty of it too. I thought Palin spoke like she was from MN
Well...a lot of farmers from the Mid West did relocate to the Matanuska Valley in the 30's, and I've heard it said that that migration did have an influence on speech patterns. I've spent much more time in Palmer than in Wasilla and never really noticed it myself.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:58 PM

This is kind of interesting reading:

Stories in the News - Ketchikan, Alaska - June Allen

Quote:
It was during those first those painful years of the Depression that President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's administration put together an astonishing plan that would recruit settlers, en masse, for Alaska's Matanuska Valley. They would be farm families on "relief" (welfare) mostly in Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota. It was part of the president's New Deal recovery programs, a recruitment of individuals and families willing to relocate and farm in Alaska. No one knows what pictures the individual interviewing welfare workers might have painted for the colonist candidates!

In any event, the potential colonists were assured they would be provided with free rail and steamship transportation to Alaska. There they would find temporary camps for shelter and habitation until they could get homes built. Forty acres of fertile farmland for each would be available, to be paid for over a period of thirty years. Farm machinery, equipment, livestock plus other supplies and furnishings would be available on a charge, lease, rental or sale basis. The interest rates would not exceed 3% per annum and payments would not begin until after the harvest of 1940. "Various activities" would be available to colonist families.

In the spring of 1935, almost a thousand people - 202 families - took the government up on the offer and were ready to begin the trek northward. The first contingent of colonists rode the "Pioneer Special" train to San Francisco where they were greeted with a brass band and cheers of excitement. For three days they were feted, they stayed in comfortable hotels and enjoyed their moments of fame. Then on May 1 they boarded the steamship would take them to Alaska. Few if any of these people had even seen the ocean, much less traveled on a ship. It's only possible to imagine the incidents of seasickness, and of worried wives and ship-confined youngsters and cranky babies.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:25 PM

17,850 posts, read 20,172,172 times
Quote:
Yes, it is true. In 1935, during the Depression, the Federal Emergency Relief Administration, one of FDR's New Deal projects, established the "Matanuska Colony." From Michigan, (I mistakenly included both Dakotas in a previous post, I am correcting that now) Wisconsin and Minnesota, 203 families traveled by train and ship to reach the Alaskan Matanuska-Susitna Valley, arriving in the summer of 1935. Upon their arrival they were housed in a tent city during their first Alaskan summer. Each family drew lots for 40 acre tracts and their farming adventure began in earnest. The failure rate was high, but many of their descendants still live in the area.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:59 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,338,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well...a lot of farmers from the Mid West did relocate to the Matanuska Valley in the 30's, and I've heard it said that that migration did have an influence on speech patterns. I've spent much more time in Palmer than in Wasilla and never really noticed it myself.
My son and his GF lived in Palmer while she worked on getting and finishing her Master's. I visited there and did not notice any 'Norweigen' dialects or colloquialisms.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
My son and his GF lived in Palmer while she worked on getting and finishing her Master's. I visited there and did not notice any 'Norweigen' dialects or colloquialisms.
Yeah, I didn't notice any either in the speech of Palin's parents. I believe they moved up from Idaho; not sure if what their heritage is.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:42 AM

4,455 posts, read 3,580,188 times
The Palin's are a walking, talking example of why it should be necessary to pass a basic intelligence test before being allowed to breed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies