Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 06:48 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,364 times

Advertisements

The poll was idiotic but the subject is not. Its a shame to have a legitimate topic closed because some people cannot behave themselves.

Ron, a black man, was correct. There are too many Blacks behaving poorly. This is a topic that needs to be discussed. It is what Bill Cosby was trying to discuss.

Ron was also correct in saying that most Blacks do not behave poorly but too many do. The reasons are many and varied. Ron and most well behaving Blacks as well as the rest of the citizens of this country would like to put these reasons on the table so they can be looked at, discussed and maybe something can be done.

Obama wants us to have this discussion. Holder told us we were cowards for not discussing it. Well, here's why. The discussion gets shut down.

Damned the people who would treat this as race baiting and a cause to bash Blacks. Let the good people have an honest discussion.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:03 AM

Sorry to be the first to post on my own thread. I just read the rest of the posts on the original thread. Its obvious from the poll that Lichtenstein was baiting us and some of the posts amounted to bashing. However that should not prevent the rest of us from having an honest discussion.

Its a minority of the Black community that is:
- perpetrating over 50% of the violent crime in this country
- pushing the Black illegitimacy rate over 70%
- causing an epidemic of AIDS and other STD's
- pushing the Black high school drop out rate over 50%
- etc

This is a problem. I'd like to hear what people think are some of the reasons and what they think may be some possible solutions.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:04 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,463,266 times
It wasn't Holder's intent to open the door to discussions of why (some) black people behave so badly. That people would ask the question phrased that way would be much closer to the sort of topic he might have had in mind...

Old 06-12-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
It wasn't Holder's intent to open the door to discussions of why (some) black people behave so badly. That people would ask the question phrased that way would be much closer to the sort of topic he might have had in mind...
So you're saying that Eric Holder wants a discussion but only if he hears what he wants to hear? Should we only discuss prejudice and discrimination against Black folks?

Granted those are legitimate topics but can we not also discuss the segment of the Black community that is causing some major problems in this country. Do you think that maybe if there were not such a visible minority of Blacks folks causing problems there would not be as much prejudice and discrimination? I think that was Ron's point.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:37 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,463,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
So you're saying that Eric Holder wants a discussion but only if he hears what he wants to hear? Should we only discuss prejudice and discrimination against Black folks?
If you need to go to those sorts of lengths to avoid dealing with the piont, it's pretty obvious that you aren't looking for a serious discussion here.

Quote:
Granted those are legitimate topics but can we not also discuss the segment of the Black community that is causing some major problems in this country.
I assume that you realize for instance that the illegitimacy rate among downscale whites is also in the 70% range. Will you be wanting to discuss the implications of that, or will you be saying that, yes, that would be a problem, but this thread is only about blacks.

Quote:
Do you think that maybe if there were not such a visible minority of Blacks folks causing problems there would not be as much prejudice and discrimination? I think that was Ron's point.
I think Ron's point was that the behavior is what raises issues, not the race of any particular people. Travel to Mexico City and you will find Hispanics behaving badly. In Shanghai, it will be Chinese. In Mumbai, it will be Indo-Pakistanis. Persians in Tehran, Turks in Ankara, and Caucasians in Moscow. Doesn't seem to matter much, really. Wherever you put people into certain sorts of socio-economic conditions, you get back some sort of behavior that people not put into those conditions don't approve of. Weird, huh...

Old 06-12-2009, 07:42 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Saganista, I don't think anyone said anything about comparing "downscale" whites to "downscale" blacks. The discussion is about the black community as a whole. Why do you insist on tearing apart every thread and basing your philosophy on a technicality? It's a really disturbing trend that you often use and its evident that you think it will get past most people.

Reelist, you have a very valid point. Liberals will try to use the race card to tear you down, but here in the real world, statistics tell the story. Saganista seems to have a problem with extolling the truth.

One doesn't have to look far to understand Reelist's point. Here's a look at black on black crime in America:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/bvvc.pdf (broken link)

It's unbelievable the amount of people that believe race is a reason to avoid discussing what statistics clearly show as a real issue in our communities.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 06-12-2009 at 07:51 AM..

Old 06-12-2009, 07:49 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,155 times
i am a teacher and my school is about 17% black. the black kids act just as good as the white kids. i have no trouble out of the black kids. now, i think if i were to teach at a 90% black school there would be problems.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:59 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,177,754 times
I think I follow what you're saying. I do understaand where you're coming from. BUT to prevent folks from misunderstanding, you may need to further explain what you mean.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
i am a teacher and my school is about 17% black. the black kids act just as good as the white kids. i have no trouble out of the black kids. now, i think if i were to teach at a 90% black school there would be problems.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
If you need to go to those sorts of lengths to avoid dealing with the piont, it's pretty obvious that you aren't looking for a serious discussion here.

I assume that you realize for instance that the illegitimacy rate among downscale whites is also in the 70% range. Will you be wanting to discuss the implications of that, or will you be saying that, yes, that would be a problem, but this thread is only about blacks.

I think Ron's point was that the behavior is what raises issues, not the race of any particular people. Travel to Mexico City and you will find Hispanics behaving badly. In Shanghai, it will be Chinese. In Mumbai, it will be Indo-Pakistanis. Persians in Tehran, Turks in Ankara, and Caucasians in Moscow. Doesn't seem to matter much, really. Wherever you put people into certain sorts of socio-economic conditions, you get back some sort of behavior that people not put into those conditions don't approve of. Weird, huh...

I'm not sure what you mean. I wanted to discuss problems in a certain segment of the Black population. You told me that was not what Obama/Holder meant when they called for conversations on race. Why don't you go ahead and tell me what they meant?

The Black illegitimacy rate among Blacks as a whole is over 70%. What are you saying? That the rate among downscale Blacks is much much higher than 70%?

Yes, this is a thread about the problems in the downscale Black community.

I think Ron's point was that the behavior is what raises issues, not the race of any particular people. Travel to Mexico City and you will find Hispanics behaving badly. In Shanghai, it will be Chinese. In Mumbai, it will be Indo-Pakistanis. Persians in Tehran, Turks in Ankara, and Caucasians in Moscow. Doesn't seem to matter much, really. Wherever you put people into certain sorts of socio-economic conditions, you get back some sort of behavior that people not put into those conditions don't approve of. Weird, huh..

No, Ron's point was the behavior of a segment of the Black community.

You seem to be arguing with me regarding the existence of a problem. Are you saying that you don't think that there is a problem in the 'downscale' Black community?

Old 06-13-2009, 03:13 AM

763 posts, read 1,297,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Saganista, I don't think anyone said anything about comparing "downscale" whites to "downscale" blacks. The discussion is about the black community as a whole. Why do you insist on tearing apart every thread and basing your philosophy on a technicality? It's a really disturbing trend that you often use and its evident that you think it will get past most people.

Reelist, you have a very valid point. Liberals will try to use the race card to tear you down, but here in the real world, statistics tell the story. Saganista seems to have a problem with extolling the truth.

One doesn't have to look far to understand Reelist's point. Here's a look at black on black crime in America:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/bvvc.pdf (broken link)

It's unbelievable the amount of people that believe race is a reason to avoid discussing what statistics clearly show as a real issue in our communities.
*Waiting for some far left liberal wackjob to blame the white man for everything*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.