U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: would a straight pride parade be considered hateful?
yes 79 48.17%
no 85 51.83%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2009, 03:51 PM
 
29 posts, read 38,955 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
They are called gay pride parades
My question is this: What exactly is it they do that they're so proud of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2009, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,529 posts, read 25,024,944 times
Reputation: 7739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant Possum View Post
My question is this: What exactly is it they do that they're so proud of?
Well, you could always do some elementary-level research on the internet to get some answers.

From Wikipedia:
LGBT pride or gay pride is the concept that lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people should be proud of their sexual orientation and gender identity. The movement has three main premises: that people should be proud of their sexual orientation and gender identity, that diversity is a gift, and that sexual orientation and gender identity are inherent and cannot be intentionally altered. The use of the abbreviated gay pride and pride have since become mainstream and shorthand expressions inclusive of all individuals in various LGBT communities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_pride
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Sandy Springs, Georgia
256 posts, read 660,943 times
Reputation: 126
Of course it would. Some people are so ****ing THICK. When you are part of a overwhelming majority alongside a SMALL minority (less than 10% of the population) that is repressed in some way, you don't promote yourself with "straight pride parades" or "white pride groups" or whatever these people want.

The fact is, straight people are 90+% of the population. Being heterosexual is the NORM. Homosexuality is a relatively new concept in our society and is therefore disliked and frowned upon by a lot of people. Homosexuals encounter prejudice and occasionally discrimination everywhere they go simply because they are gay. Straight people NEVER encounter prejudice or discrimination solely because they are straight. Of they don't. Why would they? Everyone around them is straight!

So clearly, there is a need for things like gay pride parades and organizations devoted to helping gays, a group that makes up a fraction of the population, but there is NO NEED to have organizations devoted to helping the 90% majority or to have parades expressing pride in being the 90% majority.

These things are ssoooo simple and obvious, I almost can't believe I took the time to type all this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Bull. They support left leaning organizations only. Otherwise they would support one of the most abused minorities in the country... gun owners. The ACLU should be disbanded.
No, you're wrong. That's simply not true. The ACLU has a number of set beliefs that they ALWAYYS defend, no matter how conservative or liberal the people they're defending are.

For pete's sake they've defend the WESTBORO BAPTIST CHURCH, one of the most radical socially conservative churches on the planet!

You need to learn your facts research things on your own instead of listening to Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity. You have clearly been told things that are outright not true about the ACLU. Go the ACLU's website and you will be shocked by the number of conservatives/Christians/right-wing organizations they defend.

As for gun rights, you are correct, that is one issue they remain neutral about and do not get involved in.

Last edited by Sandy Springs Rep.; 06-14-2009 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,529 posts, read 25,024,944 times
Reputation: 7739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
Homosexuality is a relatively new concept in our society and is therefore disliked and frowned upon by a lot of people.
I think you mean it's new in that it's being talked about so openly. It's certainly not new to society. Same-sex attractions have been around for thousands of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Sandy Springs, Georgia
256 posts, read 660,943 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think you mean it's new in that it's being talked about so openly. It's certainly not new to society. Same-sex attractions have been around for thousands of years.
Yes, that is more accurate. Thanks for correcting me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,520 posts, read 20,905,707 times
Reputation: 13856
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well, you could always do some elementary-level research on the internet to get some answers.
Okay, then. From Yeledaf:

Straight Pride is the concept that straight people should be proud of their sexual orientation and gender identity. The movement has three main premises: that people should be proud of their sexual orientation and gender identity, that diversity is a gift, and that sexual orientation and gender identity are inherent and cannot be intentionally altered....

So....what's wrong with this descriptor of the OP's intentions?

I mean, not every straight person is "proud" of his/her sexual orientation and gender identity. (The concept of attaching "pride" to one's sexuality seems a little odd to me, frankly). But if gay people are free to somehow be "proud" of the way they achieve orgasms, why shouldn't straights -- if they've a mind to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Westwood, MA
3,610 posts, read 4,669,845 times
Reputation: 4649
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Almost every dictionary defines "homophobic" as meaning a fear or contempt of homosexuality. The anti-gay crowd loves to crow about not having a fear of homosexuals, but there are many words in the English language whose meanings aren't as literal as they would make this word out to be.

homophobic definition | Dictionary.com
Yes, I know what the commonly accepted definition is, I just don't appreciate its precision. Someone can hate homosexuality without being afraid of it or alternately can be afraid of homosexuality with hating it or those who are homosexual. I'd like to think that all homophobia has at its root a lack of understanding or unfamiliarity with homosexuality or homosexuals, I'm afraid some of the hate directed towards homosexuals comes with knowledge and understanding.

I shouldn't be too much of a stickler for the root words, because otherwise I would interpret homophobia as a fear of sameness and anyone who fears a lack of diversity would be the true homophobe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,529 posts, read 25,024,944 times
Reputation: 7739
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Yes, I know what the commonly accepted definition is, I just don't appreciate its precision. Someone can hate homosexuality without being afraid of it or alternately can be afraid of homosexuality with hating it or those who are homosexual.
I don't believe that's the case. Fear and hatred are inextricably linked. A person can be indifferent or uninterested in homosexuality, but in order to feel hatred for it, fear is required.

Hate and Fear | Articles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 06:17 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,478 posts, read 13,865,411 times
Reputation: 1825
Just got back from the gay pride parade. Oh the indoctrination that was going on, it was sickening! Pamphlets, leaflets, brochures abounded! Little kids being taught how to give bj's, gay men stripping to their skivvies & humping each other, it was vile VILE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Westwood, MA
3,610 posts, read 4,669,845 times
Reputation: 4649
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't believe that's the case. Fear and hatred are inextricably linked. A person can be indifferent or uninterested in homosexuality, but in order to feel hatred for it, fear is required.

Hate and Fear | Articles
I think we're probably arguing semantics at this point. Fear and hate really are independent emotions even if they are often linked. Someone can fear asteroids without hating them or someone can hate quiche without fearing it. It may be true that fear and hatred are always linked with homophobia. If you believe that to be true in all cases despite any protest from the homophobic individual I certainly hold out no hope of convincing you otherwise because it's moved past discussion to tautology for you.

The only reason I even slightly object to the term homophobia is that it encompasses two kinds of behavior--those that are uncomfortable with homosexuality and those that are fundamentally opposed to it--and it seems too mild an adjective for the latter group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top