U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: would a straight pride parade be considered hateful?
yes 79 48.17%
no 85 51.83%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:02 PM

43,538 posts, read 52,626,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Okay, then. From Yeledaf:

Straight Pride is the concept that straight people should be proud of their sexual orientation and gender identity. The movement has three main premises: that people should be proud of their sexual orientation and gender identity, that diversity is a gift, and that sexual orientation and gender identity are inherent and cannot be intentionally altered....

So....what's wrong with this descriptor of the OP's intentions?

I mean, not every straight person is "proud" of his/her sexual orientation and gender identity. (The concept of attaching "pride" to one's sexuality seems a little odd to me, frankly). But if gay people are free to somehow be "proud" of the way they achieve orgasms, why shouldn't straights -- if they've a mind to?
Because the reason the gay people have a 'pride' parade is to demonstrate in an atmosphere of intolerance. Straight pride would make no sense in that context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 10:02 PM

26,529 posts, read 25,011,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I think we're probably arguing semantics at this point. Fear and hate really are independent emotions even if they are often linked. Someone can fear asteroids without hating them or someone can hate quiche without fearing it. It may be true that fear and hatred are always linked with homophobia. If you believe that to be true in all cases despite any protest from the homophobic individual I certainly hold out no hope of convincing you otherwise because it's moved past discussion to tautology for you.

The only reason I even slightly object to the term homophobia is that it encompasses two kinds of behavior--those that are uncomfortable with homosexuality and those that are fundamentally opposed to it--and it seems too mild an adjective for the latter group.
I'll admit I'm sort of just debating you for the exercise. I sometimes have thought that "homophobia" is a misnomer, but in many cases, I think people who "hate" homosexuality do so because there is fear involved. It's not necessarily a fear of an actual individual, but a fear of what that individual represents, or in the case of same-sex marriage, a fear of what allowing same-sex marriages will do to society.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:07 PM

26,529 posts, read 25,011,732 times
Quote:
But if gay people are free to somehow be "proud" of the way they achieve orgasms, why shouldn't straights -- if they've a mind to?
Not sure if your question was directed toward me or to the group, but I never said straight people shouldn't be proud of their sexuality, if they're so inclined.

You seem to be wanting to start an argument where there is none.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:19 PM

19,525 posts, read 20,892,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Not sure if your question was directed toward me or to the group, but I never said straight people shouldn't be proud of their sexuality, if they're so inclined.

You seem to be wanting to start an argument where there is none.
Not really. The OP presented a thesis. I addressed one aspect of its manifestation.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Because the reason the gay people have a 'pride' parade is to demonstrate in an atmosphere of intolerance. Straight pride would make no sense in that context.
So the whole idea of a gay "pride" parade, from your perspective, is not to celebrate one's sexuality, but to provoke others?

I concur.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
So the whole idea of a gay "pride" parade, from your perspective, is not to celebrate one's sexuality, but to provoke others?

I concur.

If you want to purposely misinterpret what I'm saying, that's your choice.
To clarify, in my opinion (since I ain't never been to no gay pride parade), the reason they have the parade is for a show of solidarity in the face of violence, intolerance, and to perhaps teach some suicidal teenager who feels all alone that he isn't and that he shouldn't feel ashamed.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:12 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,318,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Bull. They support left leaning organizations only. Otherwise they would support one of the most abused minorities in the country... gun owners. The ACLU should be disbanded.
They are also demanding the release of all torture evidence of terror suspects. They believe that we violated Khalid Sheikh Mohammed's (The foreign national who masterminded 9/11) civil liberties and they want the world to know about it.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you want to purposely misinterpret what I'm saying, that's your choice.
To clarify, in my opinion (since I ain't never been to no gay pride parade), the reason they have the parade is for a show of solidarity in the face of violence, intolerance, and to perhaps teach some suicidal teenager who feels all alone that he isn't and that he shouldn't feel ashamed.
Call it misinterpretation if you wish; if so, I'm a piker compared to you, since you take pride in interpreting something that you admittedly have never experienced, going so far as to explain the motivation for it as a form of collective therapy...

Old 06-16-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Call it misinterpretation if you wish; if so, I'm a piker compared to you, since you take pride in interpreting something that you admittedly have never experienced, going so far as to explain the motivation for it as a form of collective therapy...
I have never been to a parade, but I know plenty of gay people who do go and have gone. And I know that they feel they are victims of discrimination (and several of them have been victims of violence based soley on their sexual orientation). And it is a fact that gay teenagers are more prone to suicide and drug abuse, because they feel isolated and unsupported.

Therapy? No. An undeniable statement that there is a large population of others like aforementioned teenagers who are proud and willing to be supportive? Yes.

If a large, chronically mistreated segment of the population wants to get together and have a parade to say, "Hey, we are here and we're ok and so are you," that's cool with me. Explain to me how a heterosexual is chronically and brutally mistreated for being heterosexual, and you can have the basis for your straight parade.

I don't have to be there to understand and interpret why they do this. I only have to listen to people tell me why they do this. There is no misinterpretation on my part. Just regurgitation of information from the horse's mouth.

Whatever anti-gay sentiments you have appear to be surfacing in your refusal to understand these very basic concepts. Which only serves to prove their point.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:39 PM

2,015 posts, read 4,662,021 times
To answer the question: "Would a straight pride parade be hateful"? My answer is that it would be stupid.

As far as I'm concerned, however, people should have pride in whoever and whatever they are. I believe that people "are" - and that's the end of that.

I don't know why it is so important to control others when there's enough to do in a day to control one's own life. I can't even control my own household on some days, especially now that the kids are all at home. I have loads of dishes to do every day, laundry, shopping, cleaning, running a business, and getting on CD forums once in a while (for fun!), taking care of broken appliances, work on the inside of the home, outside of the home, sports schedules, etc. Where do people find time to worry about what other people do?????? And why?????

I can't imagine why it is of such concern to people what gay or non-gay people do or what marches they participate in. I am all for gay rights and believe that everyone should be legally recognized and protected no matter what make-up their family is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies