U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: would a straight pride parade be considered hateful?
yes 79 48.17%
no 85 51.83%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:28 PM

26,529 posts, read 25,032,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Sure didn't seem that way when I was there while in the Navy.

Doubt it has changed since.
The estimate is that 15.4% of San Franciscans are openly gay, lesbian, or bisexual. Of course, there are probably many who are closeted, but even if you doubled that number, it would still leave a clear majority who are heterosexual.

http://www.law.ucla.edu/williamsinstitute/publications/samesexcouplesandglbpopacs.pdf (broken link)

I lived there for a few years, and found that anywhere outside of the Castro, there wasn't an obvious gay presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 11:45 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,789,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
and of course I am not going to join your fantasy that homosexuals self inflicted plight is anything remotely close to that of ones skin color or gender.
One day, you'll look back on your words with disgust, wondering how it is you ever came to think the way you did.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:52 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,789,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Sure didn't seem that way when I was there while in the Navy.

Doubt it has changed since.

Wasn't San Francisco where the AIDS epedemic first ran like widfire in the US ?
New York City was actually the origination city for AIDS in the U.S. Both San Francisco and NYC were hit hard by the epidemic. At the time, you had the Reagan administration hiding information that the CDC wished to put out to protect the public from a blood/sex transferred disease, but some within the Reagan administration projected the popular myth of the time that it was a homosexual / drug user disease and that it was almost deserved. Many, many groups were decimated by the administration's decision not to listen to the CDC - the worst of which being the hemophilia community who were forced to accept tainted blood donations that they had no idea were actually tainted with the virus that would eventually kill 10,000 in their community alone.

I know that's a little off-topic from the OP or your question, but I thought you might be curous and interested - can never have too much information. If you're sincerely interested in the topic, check out the two-part PBS Frontline special called "The Age of AIDS" at pbs.com/frontline

Old 12-11-2009, 11:55 PM

55,668 posts, read 74,663,884 times
for a white boy standing up straight and saying i am somebody is considered hateful.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:01 AM

1,975 posts, read 3,140,126 times
I don't care if there's a straight pride parade, Lord knows theres many, many places and clubs for straight folks to have thier fun and show pride.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:11 PM

8,632 posts, read 9,175,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
At this point, it seems silly to continue calling it a psychological disorder when it was removed from the list of psychological disorders about 40 years ago.
yeah lot of things seem silly regarding this issue!

Old 12-12-2009, 01:03 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,053,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
just wondering. if someone was to organize a straight pride parade, would people consider it "hateful" or "homophobic?" how about if they held it at the same time there was a gay pride parade. thoughts.
There already is a straight pride parade. Its called Mardi Gras.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:08 AM

1,975 posts, read 3,140,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
There already is a straight pride parade. Its called Mardi Gras.
LOL! It's a free for all, I'm from New Orleans. You'd be surprised at what folks would do for some beads

Old 12-13-2009, 02:27 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,581,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
just wondering. if someone was to organize a straight pride parade, would people consider it "hateful" or "homophobic?" how about if they held it at the same time there was a gay pride parade. thoughts.
WOULDN'T any parade that was not a GAY parade...be a straight parade????OR am I missing something???

Parade your straight heart out...., but you don't want to traumatize anyone like those poor firemen at that gay parade....

Old 12-15-2009, 04:33 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,904,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
what would we be marching for? or proud of? the fact that 50% of our marriages end and that 20% are not happy? or that you have 1 in 5 chance of having a good marriage...

Thank goodness i'm one of the 1 in 5. What would i be marching for, being straight, married for 36 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies