U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: would a straight pride parade be considered hateful?
yes 79 48.17%
no 85 51.83%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:31 PM

26,529 posts, read 24,943,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
Good point. If we're proud to be straight, then why not have Straight Parades?
Generally, most people don't feel there's a need for straight parades, but I would support them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 03:33 PM

3,983 posts, read 3,367,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Not hateful.

Just redundant and unnecessary.

Same with any similar activities connected to white pride.
Yes ... I could see the gay pride deal being the same as the white pride deal ...

Old 06-12-2009, 05:40 PM

297 posts, read 308,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i cant beleive close to 43% beleive a straight pride would be hateful or homophobic!!!

thats ridiculous. then gay pride parades are hateful and heterophobic?

wow i cant beleive how people think sometimes.
I can't believe you post the current statistics of your "poll" so often in the thread. We get it: You neither understand the rationale behind gay pride parades to begin with nor do you approve of the idea of them. At least, that's what both The tone of your posts and the frequency of constantly making posts like this one would indicate.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:45 PM

8,632 posts, read 9,147,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equality4all View Post
Oh, you mean it's not straight pride day everyday? Why would they need to march? Everywhere I go, it's like a "straight pride" parade: Movie Theaters, Shopping Malls, Amusement Parks, and on and on and on.

If we LGBT's had equal rights, we wouldn't have the NEED to march. Give us our rights and we'll stop marching.
You lgbts have the right to march, what more do you want?

Old 06-12-2009, 07:36 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,067,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I see by a couple of the expected responses that if you have pride in the very normal life of a heterosexual you must actually be a homosexual hiding in the closet. You know that is as ignorant as saying everyone that participates in a gay pride parade is actually a heterosexual that is afraid to claim their heterosexuality?

One thing this thread has proved is all those "tolerant" screamers have no tolerance for anyone but themselves. Maybe we need some government grants to study this heterophobia and lack of tolerance and force these gays to take heterosexual diversity training classes.
The majority of my life has been a heterosexual diversity training class. I know much more straight people than I do gay people. If anything more heterosexuals need a crash course in what it's like to be gay. They can't have it easy and live in more tolerant cities, they need to come live in places like Utah, Arkansas, Mississippi, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
So very true!! Out of all the pride parades I have ever been to, NYC, Dallas & Houston when you watch it on the news, the media seems to only show the most shocking aspects of it (drag queens, leather studs, naked men/women, or anything else that has "shock" value). When the media starts showing the other aspects of it (gay police/firemen, gay doctors, gay soldiers, gay teachers) or any other positive type people, I think the general populations views on GLBT will change drastically. Until then people are going to see us as what the media portrays us as ....FREAKS!
I think once more people start to know more gay and lesbian people personally, they will become more accepting. Seeing us on tv is one thing but actually saying, "Yeah I work with someone who is..." or "My niece/nephew/daughter/son/cousin/etc is...." and things of that nature.

Once they see we're just so and so who happens to be gay rather than so and so that LESBIAN or that GAY GUY...it changes things.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:49 PM

4,657 posts, read 7,773,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Because straight people are not ostracized and discriminated against in any way, it would be a pretty ridiculous thing to do. It would definitely come off as homophobic, and I guarantee you that the only people who would participate would be homophobes or closeted homosexuals.

Just like there can't be a white pride parade or a penis pride parade.

Keep in mind, I'm a heterosexual white male...
And brain washed to feel guilty about it, I see.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:23 PM

112 posts, read 160,601 times
Being gay, I don't see a problem if there was straight pride parades. As long as they were not turned into religious parades condemning being gay. :]

Old 06-12-2009, 09:32 PM

709 posts, read 1,573,712 times
Only pathetic losers make parades to celebrate their sexual orientation.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:42 PM

11,102 posts, read 13,152,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I wouldn't think so, but then again, I've never heard of anyone being proud to be straight.
I am proud to be straight until divorce time rolls around every so often...it would then be kinda nice to be gay because I would kick the everloving hell out of him and keep my stuff....Can't do that with a woman,you just gotta pack your stuff and move some other guy out of HIS nest and start the cycle all over again....The pressure of being a hetero male ain't for sissies

Old 06-12-2009, 10:05 PM

2,105 posts, read 1,189,320 times
Sorry, but holding a march simply because others with different views are having marches is a really ridiculous and childish reason. Furthermore, you'd not be fighting for anything, no one is trying to deny your right to marry.

But yes, go ahead, it is your right, if you want to be a petty person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies