Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:34 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,557,438 times

Advertisements

I'm not happy about it, but whatever. I smoke, it's unhealthy for me, I know this yet I continue to smoke. It's my own fault for doing it & if I want to continue smoking, then I guess I'll have to deal w/all of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 04:35 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,135,666 times
You know, that's kind of a moronic caption. "Include something" about what?

Old 06-12-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I'm not happy about it, but whatever. I smoke, it's unhealthy for me, I know this yet I continue to smoke. It's my own fault for doing it & if I want to continue smoking, then I guess I'll have to deal w/all of this.
It's only this these people are grousing about:
The measure puts special emphasis on dissuading some of the 3,500 young people who every day smoke a cigarette for the first time. It prohibits use of candied and flavored cigarettes popular among young people and severely restricts advertisements and promotions targeted toward youth. It bans use of words such as "mild" or "light" that give the impression that the brand is safer. It requires stronger warning labels.

The FDA would also require tobacco companies to reveal the contents of their products and they'd have to seek approval for marketing new products. It gives the FDA power to order changes to ingredients, including tar and nicotine, to protect public health.
You know these people *should* be applauding this because in the long run it'll protect their heroes the tobacco companies against further wrongful death lawsuits.

But noooo............

Old 06-12-2009, 04:36 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,388 times
Did they send Obama some nicotine patches with the bill so he can try again to quit smoking?

Its funny that Obama is blabbering about the dangers of tobacco, and then goes and lights one up.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Oops, there's more. The bastards! Gotta go make our money in China and Russia now!

Under the legislation:
• Cigarette packages will have warning labels that cover 50 percent of the front and rear. The word "warning" must be included in capital letters.
• Any remaining tobacco-related sponsorships of sports and entertainment events will be banned, as will giveaways of non-tobacco items with the purchase of a tobacco product. A federal ban will be imposed on all outdoor tobacco advertising within 1,000 feet of schools and playgrounds.
• Point-of-sale advertising will be limited to adults-only facilities, and remaining vending machines will disappear except in places restricted to adults. Retailers who sell to minors will be subject to federal enforcement and penalties.
• Smokers, particularly the younger crowd, will find they can no longer buy cigarettes sweetened by candy flavors or any herb or spices such as strawberry, grape, orange, clove, cinnamon or vanilla. Cigarettes advertised as "light" or "mild," giving the impression that they aren't as harmful to health, will no longer be found on store shelves.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:49 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,023,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
did any of you happen to read exactly WHAT would be regulated about the tobacco industry?
did its the word regulate that gets me.another govt agency thats going to cost millions in more govt spending. for what the idiots that cant read the warning on a cigerate box. barry can he still smokes it will accomplish nothing but will cost plenty. the gov is after every industry there is. cause they know better how to run them.i

Old 06-12-2009, 04:55 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,314,902 times
The bill is a win for government and for the tobacco industry.
By reducing nicotine levels, existing smokers will need to purchase more packs to maintain their fix.Tax revenues will increase accordingly.

Quote:
aggressive FDA efforts to reduce nicotine content — the bill prohibits an outright ban on nicotine or cigarettes — could "stimulate as dramatic a change in the product as anything we've seen in the last 50 years."
Of course government is only concerned about the health of it's citizens and increased tax revunue is just an unfortunate consequence of them helping us

Smoker or not, anyone in favor of this bill is a useful idiot.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Oops, there's more. The bastards! Gotta go make our money in China and Russia now!

Under the legislation:
• Cigarette packages will have warning labels that cover 50 percent of the front and rear. The word "warning" must be included in capital letters.
• Any remaining tobacco-related sponsorships of sports and entertainment events will be banned, as will giveaways of non-tobacco items with the purchase of a tobacco product. A federal ban will be imposed on all outdoor tobacco advertising within 1,000 feet of schools and playgrounds.
• Point-of-sale advertising will be limited to adults-only facilities, and remaining vending machines will disappear except in places restricted to adults. Retailers who sell to minors will be subject to federal enforcement and penalties.
• Smokers, particularly the younger crowd, will find they can no longer buy cigarettes sweetened by candy flavors or any herb or spices such as strawberry, grape, orange, clove, cinnamon or vanilla. Cigarettes advertised as "light" or "mild," giving the impression that they aren't as harmful to health, will no longer be found on store shelves.
Kids nowadays must be more demanding because I started smoking when I was 16 & it was straight Winstons, no need for flavored cigarettes for me, no ma'am! And speaking of the vending machines, I honestly don't know of any cigarette vending machines that I see except for in bars, where the cigs are at least $7. a pack now.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
You know these people *should* be applauding this because in the long run it'll protect their heroes the tobacco companies against further wrongful death lawsuits.

But noooo............
Good point.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:08 PM

156 posts, read 133,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
WASHINGTON – Congress sent legislation to the White House Friday granting the federal government unprecedented authority to regulate and restrict cigarettes, the single largest cause of preventable death.

Congress sends Obama bill to regulate tobacco - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090612/ap_on_go_co/us_fda_tobacco - broken link)

Is alcohol next? It makes sense.
Regulate tobacco and the industry, but, legalize marijauna? hey, sounds like the government wants to get us stoned, not dead. Oh big government, save me from the sliders I am about to consume which block my heart with fat and grease. does this mean no more swisher sweets? oh no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies