U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 08:14 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,947,967 times

Advertisements

HOA's are nothing but another layer of government intervention in the freedoms of this country, and should be outlawed. These mini-Gestpo's of controlling mental midgets with power over their neighbors are about as un-American as it gets. Land of the free, home of the brave, my arse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 09:36 PM

11,102 posts, read 13,184,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
HOA's are nothing but another layer of government intervention in the freedoms of this country, and should be outlawed. These mini-Gestpo's of controlling mental midgets with power over their neighbors are about as un-American as it gets. Land of the free, home of the brave, my arse.

My HOA president is me....I tell me when to mow my grass and I tell the security officer(also me) whose ass to kick off my place and who can stay.I tell me when I have enough "projects" in the yard(I get advised by the sec. and tres.sometimes,but I overrule her by changing the subject or ignoring her).....I like it like that and think anyone who enters into a contract with a pack of nazi like idiots deserves whatever they get in return for that mistake.

The ONLY good I see in a HOA is that it keeps a pack of whining arseholes from moving in next to my place.JMO

Old 06-13-2009, 05:12 AM

30,684 posts, read 33,445,013 times
I don't care to live somewhere with a HOA but I sure don't want to 'outlaw' them. Many, many people like the set up and those that don't...well, don't buy there or move.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:59 AM

14,095 posts, read 23,672,975 times
Some HOA ninnies rule the roost that is called the HOA board and will add a rule to the list to suit their personal preferences. Not too long ago there was a case of a lady in her 80s whose husband had died. Their home had been paid off for several years and they had the title in their hand. But because she could no longer afford the HOA dues they wanted to confiscate her home and sell it off to pay the dues she owed. The HOA will not only go after your home, they'll also tack on legal fees to add insult to injury. I don't care if my neighbor paints his home all the colors of the rainbow. It's his home. I don't want some busybody coming into my yard with a ruler to measure my grass so he or she can tell me it's past time to mow the lawn. I work rotating shifts at the hospital so I cut my grass when I can. When I get off of work at 7am I wait until 9am to start cutting out of consideration for my neighbors. I have neighbors that leave their trashcans at the road. Doesn't bother me. I bring my can back to my home but that's my choice. We're having a small drought right now. If my lawn turns brown because I'm conserving water then that's my business.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:25 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,551,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Neighbors are forcing neighbors into foreclosure | Nation | Star-Telegram.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/238/story/1429306.html - broken link)
Why do you repubs always lie in your thread titles????

Old 06-13-2009, 06:28 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,551,263 times
Quote:
The members of HOAs are government employees????

Old 06-13-2009, 06:32 AM

25,876 posts, read 39,129,864 times
Why aren't the HOA whiners not joining the HOA as volunteers instead of complaining and by the way if you keep to the rules for which you signed for, there isn't anything or lessto complain about!

Btw don't buy in a HOA community if you don't want to keep to the rules and we all will be happy

Old 06-13-2009, 06:33 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,521,157 times
Quote:
Yep, they're all evil, EVIL I tell ya!
Well as president of our HOA I was so evil as to suggest to the board (and actually pass btw) that we cut the dues in half this year due to the economy and people having their hours cut. We are responsible for about 1 mile of roadway and someone has to pay for it since it's private. Plowing has to be done, re-paving will have to be done and the road shoulders have to be mowed. Yep, evil at it's best...

Old 06-13-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The members of HOAs are government employees????
No, but HOA's represent an additional layer that operates as a government. They collect taxes, but call it assessments, and the control what people living under their control can and cannot do with their property.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Yep, they're all evil, EVIL I tell ya!
Well as president of our HOA I was so evil as to suggest to the board (and actually pass btw) that we cut the dues in half this year due to the economy and people having their hours cut. We are responsible for about 1 mile of roadway and someone has to pay for it since it's private. Plowing has to be done, re-paving will have to be done and the road shoulders have to be mowed. Yep, evil at it's best...
And do you dictate that people cannot park on this street, in front of their own house, or leave their garage door open, or erect a flag pole, or mow their yard on a Saturday, ask for permission in advance in writing for guests from out of town to visit and stay over night, and many of the other Gestapo like controls that these mini-governments metastasis into.

I imagine that most HOA's did not start out this draconian, but many have become a cancer on homeowners rights and freedoms.

Such as http://www.city-data.com/forum/31189-post2.html
and http://www.city-data.com/forum/6058977-post1.html
Or Google "hoa horror stories" there are 10's of thousands for your to view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies