U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:29 PM

30,701 posts, read 33,473,253 times

Advertisements

My parents live in a comunnity of 55+ adults and they have a HOA. Both of them have been active on the board for years, even serving as President a couple times each. It's completely run by volunteers and there is a pool, community rec center and a couple other smaller "public" rooms that need taking care of. This is what the HOA is for.

They also mediate neighbor v neighbor feuds, plan some activities, and enforce the rules...of which there are only a few. People move in becaue it's a "nice" community, and then turn around and refuse to follow the rules which made it "nice" in the first place because everyone feels that they are entitled to do things that nobody else can do or that ther situation is unique or whatever. And they put up with people who feel anything "official" (like the government or HOA) is bad and seem to live their lives to annoy, harass, and push to the limit just to prove they can. All this after having to read and sign and agree to a 5 page document that everyone who wishes to live there gets, information given by every real estate agent who works the area, and getting a personal visit from the welcoming committee. Nobody moves there ignorant yet so many people "go stupid" the minute they move in. And almost annually someone tries to legaly challenge the "over 55" rule becaue their son or daughter or grandkid needs a place to live or they themselves are not that age and want to buy a house there because it's quiet, safe, and less expensive than the surrounding areas.

It's a thankless job I gotta say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 01:31 PM

69,372 posts, read 55,497,483 times
Many homeowners are learning to their surprise that condo and neighborhood associations that oversee security patrols, mow lawns, plant flowers and clean the community swimming pool may have the right to foreclose when dues arenít paid. That right is often written into the purchase agreement signed by the homeowner.

Well DAH, who doesnt know that!!

Old 06-13-2009, 01:46 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,638,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Neighbors are forcing neighbors into foreclosure | Nation | Star-Telegram.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/238/story/1429306.html - broken link)
Normally they just put a lien on a person's property.
If you move into a neighborhood with a HOA, especially a condo with a security guard, etc. someone has to pay. Why would anyone think they get a free ride? They knew when they moved in that there were these fees. I'd think most HOA would work something out if the deliquent neighbor talked to them.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:16 PM

33,891 posts, read 42,123,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Normally they just put a lien on a person's property.
If you move into a neighborhood with a HOA, especially a condo with a security guard, etc. someone has to pay. Why would anyone think they get a free ride? They knew when they moved in that there were these fees. I'd think most HOA would work something out if the deliquent neighbor talked to them.

Some HOAs in this area are now going the foreclosure route because the lien option hasn't worked, the fees and penalties keep piling up and the person doesn't have to settle up until the property is sold. Many HOAs have trouble in good times collecting fees/dues/assessments let alone now when people, even if their job situation hasn't changed, are using the economy as an excuse to not pay. Why anyone would think it's a good deal to pay hundreds, sometimes, in monthly fees that aren't deductible I'll never figure out.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:21 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,215,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Many HOAs have trouble in good times collecting fees/dues/assessments let alone now when people, even if their job situation hasn't changed, are using the economy as an excuse to not pay. Why anyone would think it's a good deal to pay hundreds, sometimes, in monthly fees that aren't deductible I'll never figure out.
This is why I thought this would be a good topic for the Politics forum. The recession is causing this to become a big problem apparently, all across the country. Of course it's not a complete non-issue in times when the economy is healthy, but the recession has made it far worse.

I don't have a HOA and I will never buy in a HOA for this and many other reasons.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:23 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,406,081 times
It is nobody's fault except the idiots who signed the contracts. Let them lose their damn homes. There should be no bailout for them, just as there should be no damn bailout for anyone going bankrupt. The $8000 credit from the government to buy a home is ignorant too. If someone can't save enough for a down payment then they don't deserve to buy a home.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:45 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,322,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
it is foolish to buy a home where there is a HO. rules and dues can and do change. most communities are still free of that nonsense=free
It depends upon your wants and taste. Some people prefer not to have an HOA and they put up with neighbours who let the grass grow knee high, park cars on the lawn and let their dogs roam free.
Others of us would rather give up a few things to live in an orderly clean community with tennis courts and a pool which are well maintained. The point is that, if you do not want to pay the dues or cannot pay them, do not move in an HOA community. If you cannot keep the rules, don't move in.
Most HOAs do not actually foreclose on property but attach a lien on it for the dues. Foreclosure wipes out the attachment but anything short of that, if the owner sells the house, the lien must be satisfied before title can be changed.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:56 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,215,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It depends upon your wants and taste. Some people prefer not to have an HOA and they put up with neighbours who let the grass grow knee high, park cars on the lawn and let their dogs roam free.
We have city ordinances against all three of those here. You don't need an HOA to be safeguarded if you live in cities like mine.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:46 PM

7,178 posts, read 6,469,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Others of us would rather give up a few things to live in an orderly clean community with tennis courts and a pool which are well maintained. The point is that, if you do not want to pay the dues or cannot pay them, do not move in an HOA community. If you cannot keep the rules, don't move in.
Most HOAs do not actually foreclose on property but attach a lien on it for the dues. Foreclosure wipes out the attachment but anything short of that, if the owner sells the house, the lien must be satisfied before title can be changed.
who cares to not like other peoples way of life is a bad exuse to live in a HOA community.and yes you will pay for it good tradeoff i think not

Old 06-13-2009, 05:04 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,259,001 times
I hate HOAs, but my county is like one big one. We got a citation once because when we parked our car on the street, part of it was on the grass so that it wouldn't take up the entire lane. We got a ticket because our "car was parked on the grass." They also ticket you if your paint job isn't clean enough or if the color scheme is "too eclectic."

However, the taxes are low, schools are good, and I'm not paying extra fees to be told what to do, so I guess it isn't all bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies