U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 06:58 PM

25,235 posts, read 13,999,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Neighbors are forcing neighbors into foreclosure | Nation | Star-Telegram.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/238/story/1429306.html - broken link)
They should have actually read the documents they were signing when buying the home. Heard far too many horror stories concerning home owner associations to ever live where I have to be under their thumb.
Casper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 07:04 PM

12,504 posts, read 16,586,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Lots more people that are keeping up with their mortgages are in trouble due to increasing property taxes that they have no control over. I see that as a far bigger issue.
That's certainly true here in west Texas. Property values just about everywhere in the country have been dropping in recent months but here in west Texas where property values grow at a snail's pace in good economic times, appraisal values have continued to rise during the same period. It would seem that the folks at the Bailey County Tax Appraisal Office simply have an unfounded optimism that the County's only town, which has almost the same number of people as it had forty years ago, is growing. However, I'm more inclined to believe it's rank ignorance of economic matters because, if it is not ignorance, it has to be corruption.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:06 PM

14,095 posts, read 23,620,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
They should have actually read the documents they were signing when buying the home. Heard far too many horror stories concerning home owner associations to ever live where I have to be under their thumb.
Casper
Doesn't matter if they read it or not. Some HOAs change the rules on a whim and then notify you you're in violation. Some reinterpret the rules to mean something else like in the case of the Marine veteran who had patriotic and US marine stickers on his car and they threatened to tow his vehicle an fine him for each day of the violation for having advertisements on his vehicle. Funny thing is, the president of that hoa donates to the DNC and she didn't seem to have a problem with the Obama '08 bumper stickers seen on other vehicles in the HOA. The rule was originally for people with company vehicles that had the company's name on the vehicle.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:28 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,258,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Doesn't matter if they read it or not. Some HOAs change the rules on a whim and then notify you you're in violation. Some reinterpret the rules to mean something else like in the case of the Marine veteran who had patriotic and US marine stickers on his car and they threatened to tow his vehicle an fine him for each day of the violation for having advertisements on his vehicle. Funny thing is, the president of that hoa donates to the DNC and she didn't seem to have a problem with the Obama '08 bumper stickers seen on other vehicles in the HOA. The rule was originally for people with company vehicles that had the company's name on the vehicle.
An HOA cannot simply decide to change a rule. Their power is limited to what the Covenants give to them. In most places, they can only change them in 2 ways- one is to publish the proposal and have the entire community vote on it and in many states it requires a 60% or more vote. And even then, most of the time, the new rule can only apply to new residents. The HOA cannot all the sudden say "only red coloured roofs are allowed" and force you to change the colour of your roof. It is almost impossible to change rules.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:34 PM

7,169 posts, read 6,444,775 times
Quote:
how refreshing i was just told by another poster they didnt need anymore arguing from me as i had no point to argue about.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
An HOA cannot simply decide to change a rule. Their power is limited to what the Covenants give to them. In most places, they can only change them in 2 ways- one is to publish the proposal and have the entire community vote on it and in many states it requires a 60% or more vote. And even then, most of the time, the new rule can only apply to new residents. The HOA cannot all the sudden say "only red coloured roofs are allowed" and force you to change the colour of your roof. It is almost impossible to change rules.
but its still not set in stone. what if a bunch of newcomers buy up the community and want to change things and have the votes. should have read them papers before you signed themi guess. when you give up your freedom it can be pretty permenant

Old 06-13-2009, 08:06 PM

2,769 posts, read 3,059,295 times
I like the HOA concept, gets rid of all scumbags and irresponsible types. If I could afford to live in a HOA neighborhood, I would do so. Being able to shake off those inconsiderate neighbors with their barking dogs and unkept lawns, the junk cars, the noise, the people that won't make repairs on their house, or the ones that make artistic statements with the paint job on the house or put pink flamino and hubcap decorations on the front lawn.

I would be delighted to serve on a HOA board and stick it to all those idiots that want to break the rules. I would plant my foot up their ass at every opportunity with a smile on my face. However, I don't think an HOA should be able to change a rule or regulation without the community taking a vote on it first. The board should not pick and choose the rules to be enforced, or be able to change rules the community did not vote for.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I like the HOA concept, gets rid of all scumbags and irresponsible types. If I could afford to live in a HOA neighborhood, I would do so. Being able to shake off those inconsiderate neighbors with their barking dogs and unkept lawns, the junk cars, the noise, the people that won't make repairs on their house, or the ones that make artistic statements with the paint job on the house or put pink flamino and hubcap decorations on the front lawn.

I would be delighted to serve on a HOA board and stick it to all those idiots that want to break the rules. I would plant my foot up their ass at every opportunity with a smile on my face. However, I don't think an HOA should be able to change a rule or regulation without the community taking a vote on it first. The board should not pick and choose the rules to be enforced, or be able to change rules the community did not vote for.
the exact reason i would never live in one holy cow

Old 06-13-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
BTW no HOA that I have ever known of can ban political stickers from your personal vehicle. They can- and most do ban COMMERCIAL vehicles from parking overnight. Mine does this also. Some also ban ANY parking outside overnight without a permit from the HOA (your car must be in your garage with the door closed except for ingress and egress). A few also ban motorcyles and some ban pickup trucks.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post

The houses in this neighbourhood cost about $150,000. You don't have to be rich to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies