Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 04:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Years ago the 401K was promoted as a better replacement to the defined benefit pensions because people could invest and earn as much as they wanted in the 401K and have a better retirement with alot more money.

Well we all know how that turned out. Average balance is about $47K which is squat compared to a guaranteed defined pension.

So here's the government to the rescue. They will convert your 401K/IRA to an annuity with guaranteed income. Of course the insurance companies will get a great benefit from having your money now. Top of the list is everyone's darlling..AIG. So, wanna hand over your precious 401K/IRA money to AIG to hold and send you monthly checks for the rest of your life ?

A year or two ago someone spoke to Congress about government managed 401K's because "the people want that". Just google "Teresa Ghilarducci".
Here's a link about her presentation to Congress. Her goal is that "everyone" should be covered with a government sponsored, mandatory enrollment in a replacement of the 401K.
House Democrats Contemplate Abolishing 401(k) Tax Breaks | workforce.com

And..BTW..$47K in an immediate annuity for a 65 year old man living in California would get you $290/month.
IMHO the banks/insurance companies are chomping at the bit to get at those funds.
Retiree Annuities May Be Promoted by Obama Aides (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

snippet:
"The U.S. Treasury and Labor Departments will ask for public comment as soon as next week on ways to promote the conversion of 401(k) savings and Individual Retirement Accounts into annuities or other steady payment streams...
There is “a tremendous amount of interest in the White House” in retirement-security initiatives, Borzi, who heads the Labor Department’s Employee Benefits Security Administration (http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/ - broken link), said in an interview. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 05:12 PM

817 posts, read 853,249 times
People don't care.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:19 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
So what's the big deal? You just said your average 401K has a balance of $47K.

Does that sound like most of these liberty and freedom loving Americans are responsible enough to save for retirement?

It doesn't to me.

It sounds like the are going to fall back on Medicare, Medicaid, and social security for all their income.

Force them to save a small portion so they can have a minimal amount to retire on.

I swear you right winger are against everything that would help your small rural towns....Every single thing you attack as government encroachment when it reality it helps your families and communities.

No wonder your the poorest and least educated among whites in America.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:22 PM

817 posts, read 853,249 times
If they won't save for themselves they don't deserve any handouts.
If they want to do a plan like that make it available but don't destroy 401K.

a 401K is only worth less if it's CASHED in.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:27 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
47k is better than nothing. until you have to be forced to share it with those who have nothing

Old 01-08-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
So what's the big deal? You just said your average 401K has a balance of $47K.

Does that sound like most of these liberty and freedom loving Americans are responsible enough to save for retirement?

It doesn't to me.

It sounds like the are going to fall back on Medicare, Medicaid, and social security for all their income.

Force them to save a small portion so they can have a minimal amount to retire on.
Isn't that called Social Security ?

I swear you right winger are against everything that would help your small rural towns....Every single thing you attack as government encroachment when it reality it helps your families and communities.
What does a 401K or IRA have to do with communities ?

No wonder your the poorest and least educated among whites in America.
Huh ? Born in NYC, two BS degrees and I just found out that I guess I must be rich because my healthcare from my job is classified as a cadillac plan.
My comments to your post in blue.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:50 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times
"And..BTW..$47K in an immediate annuity for a 65 year old man living in California would get you $290/month.
IMHO the banks/insurance companies are chomping at the bit to get at those funds."

Just for clarification, how do the banks have a vested interest in annuities ???? I dont compete with banks for annuity business, they cannot write them !

Only an insurance company can issue an annuity. And you do realize that AIG's insurance side of business is incredibly stable.

And my last point.... who in their right mind would annuitize $47k ????? In this market, if all you have for retirement is $47K, an annuity may not be a bad idea for some, many of the indexed, fixed products have decent returns with no risk. But what do I know.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:56 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
I thought social security security was the govt's forced saving retirement plan. They best not touch my 401k. Bad enough I have to pay into SS which I will doubtfully ever get to collect on.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
"And..BTW..$47K in an immediate annuity for a 65 year old man living in California would get you $290/month.
IMHO the banks/insurance companies are chomping at the bit to get at those funds."

Just for clarification, how do the banks have a vested interest in annuities ???? I dont compete with banks for annuity business, they cannot write them !

Only an insurance company can issue an annuity. And you do realize that AIG's insurance side of business is incredibly stable.

And my last point.... who in their right mind would annuitize $47k ????? In this market, if all you have for retirement is $47K, an annuity may not be a bad idea for some, many of the indexed, fixed products have decent returns with no risk. But what do I know.
In total there's about $3-4 trillion in 401K accounts. That's a heck of a lot of $47 accounts there.

My reference to banks went more along with the other link about abolishing the 401K and having everyone mandatory contribute to another type of retirement savings.

Yes..$47K in an annuity is not what financial planners recommend.

But what do you know ? A whole heck of a lot more than Uncle Sam I'll wager.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:01 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Are they planning to use it for taxes and then tell us we didn't pay it in either.

I am so glad I lived for 64 years before I knew what a bunch of crooks we elect year after year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies