U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 01:15 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,522,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
You know comments like this annoy me. You base your beliefs on science, I base mine on something else. I didn't say your beliefs were wrong so what gives you the right to say mine are? Just because I have different beliefs than you doesn't make me an idiot and your comments don't seem very tolerant IMO. But whatever, I'm going to leave the gay marriage issues thread as obviously if I don't think the way you do then my thoughts aren't welcome here.
Please take into consideration....look how hot you just got and I NEVER said anyone was stupid and I did not attack you as a person, which you are doing by saying that being gay is a choice. YOU are calling me either : Stupid or Insane because who would choose all "the grief" etc.....except someone insane or stupid. And when did you CHOOSE to be straight????Or is it just your nature.....like in a minority of us it is our nature to be attracted to and fall in love with members of the same sex. Please get to know some gay people...you will be pleasantly surprised...P.S. we have weather too...LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 01:17 AM

491 posts, read 853,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Please take into consideration....look how hot you just got and I NEVER said anyone was stupid and I did not attack you as a person, which you are doing by saying that being gay is a choice. YOU are calling me either : Stupid or Insane because who would choose all "the grief" etc.....except someone insane or stupid. And when did you CHOOSE to be straight????Or is it just your nature.....like in a minority of us it is our nature to be attracted to and fall in love with members of the same sex. Please get to know some gay people...you will be pleasantly surprised...P.S. we have weather too...LOL.
Don't worry about her. You can't reason with people like that. When "beliefs" are stronger than logic, there's nothing you can do about it.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
Don't worry about her. You can't reason with people like that. When "beliefs" are stronger than logic, there's nothing you can do about it.
You may be right but I can be stubborn too...LOL.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:53 AM

To our straight brothers and sisters; paraphrasing from a Gay man: We are your brothers, your sisters, your aunts, your uncles......sometimes your parents. We are your teachers, your nurses, your doctors, your lawyers,your auto mechanics and your hairdressers; we are part of you and you are part of us. We love you...need you...cherish you...All we ask is that you let us and that you RETURN that love as freely as we give it, with equal laws and respect.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:39 AM

544 posts, read 937,774 times
Quote:
Actually most beliefs are stronger than logic. It's not logical to think a woman can become pregnant without actually having a sperm inserted in her body and if you believe it happened than you are rejecting logic. Most people have been taught there entire lives that men are meant for women and vice versa. To come along and tell someone that they are ignorgant because of their beliefs will never allow the gay community to receive the rights ther desire and deserve. It will take some understanding on both sides but when someone opens the door and is willing to talk about the issues slamming the door in their face is not likely to lead to a very productive conversation. You won't agree, they won't understand but having a line of communication is a start. The poster said that a touching movie made her rethink her position on gay marriage, instead of focusing on that (which is what the thread is about) and forming a dialouge it became a flame fest on her personal beliefs and intelligence. In my experience a lot of gay people are so defensive that they attack anyone who says something they deem as offensive, even when the person didn't mean it that way, which turns people off and sets back progress IMO.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:07 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,260,867 times
Quote:
Not that it is relevant to the thread; but my partner(I do not know what terminology to use) of 26 years fell today and fractured his humerous bone in his right arm near shoulder, So I am a bit more sensitive tonight, his arm is immobilized...no cast....so he is in pain and being a pain too...LOL...
Yes, people can be a pain when they are in pain - and it's no laughing matter. Especially if they are anything like my late husband was - he hated not being able to do anything. He once had surgery on his knee and was told by the doctor to remain flat in bed for several hours afterward because of the anesthetic they used - the fool got up and limped down the hall to find someplace to have a cigarette! (Paid for it with a blinding headache that lasted three days!) Hope your fella is feeling a bit better this morning.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Yes, people can be a pain when they are in pain - and it's no laughing matter. Especially if they are anything like my late husband was - he hated not being able to do anything. He once had surgery on his knee and was told by the doctor to remain flat in bed for several hours afterward because of the anesthetic they used - the fool got up and limped down the hall to find someplace to have a cigarette! (Paid for it with a blinding headache that lasted three days!) Hope your fella is feeling a bit better this morning.
Thankyou so much....we/he smokes too....god it is so addicting...LOL. He is better today but gonna be out of action for weeks....I work in nursing so at least he feels comfortable now and is listening to me. Have a nice day and check out the movies I mentioned earlier in the thread...the one is free on the net.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:32 PM

184 posts, read 107,065 times
Quote:
You do that very well all by yourself....one might say you excell with your perfect spelling and grammatical prowness...amazing.
and gays are doing a great job in being kids and not being able to answer the simple q

Old 06-27-2009, 12:51 AM

491 posts, read 853,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
Actually most beliefs are stronger than logic. It's not logical to think a woman can become pregnant without actually having a sperm inserted in her body and if you believe it happened than you are rejecting logic. Most people have been taught there entire lives that men are meant for women and vice versa. To come along and tell someone that they are ignorgant because of their beliefs will never allow the gay community to receive the rights ther desire and deserve. It will take some understanding on both sides but when someone opens the door and is willing to talk about the issues slamming the door in their face is not likely to lead to a very productive conversation. You won't agree, they won't understand but having a line of communication is a start. The poster said that a touching movie made her rethink her position on gay marriage, instead of focusing on that (which is what the thread is about) and forming a dialouge it became a flame fest on her personal beliefs and intelligence. In my experience a lot of gay people are so defensive that they attack anyone who says something they deem as offensive, even when the person didn't mean it that way, which turns people off and sets back progress IMO.
If you'd actually noticed, I thanked her for having an open mind in relation to the movie. However, that doesn't mean I am going to debate this issue with someone who was so adamantly closed off from the possibility that she might be wrong. She made it clear that she thinks being gay is a choice, and that nothing was going to change that perception. Thus, the gays on this thread responded to her the way they did. She wanted to be intractable about her "beliefs," and she got what was coming to her. You can't blame the gays for responding the way we did. We have encountered the same mindset over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, so we know a narrow person when we see one, or have to interact with one. If that is her attitude, then she can take her "choice" nonsense and go back to wherever she came from, because we don't want or need to hear it. We know exactly who we are, we've always known, and we won't be told otherwise by some hardheaded, myopic heterosexual who wouldn't know the first thing about being gay or, for that matter, what sexual orientation is to begin with. The burden is on her and those like her to educate themselves (the information and knowledge is out there), get rid of their judgment and presumptuousness, and be open to the possibility that, just maybe, they might be wrong and have to rethink their stance. When they're finally able to authentically do that, the gays and lesbians will be more than willing to meet them halfway and address their concerns.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:45 AM

544 posts, read 937,774 times
Quote:
If you'd actually noticed, I thanked her for having an open mind in relation to the movie. However, that doesn't mean I am going to debate this issue with someone who was so adamantly closed off from the possibility that she might be wrong. She made it clear that she thinks being gay is a choice, and that nothing was going to change that perception. Thus, the gays on this thread responded to her the way they did. She wanted to be intractable about her "beliefs," and she got what was coming to her. You can't blame the gays for responding the way we did. We have encountered the same mindset over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, so we know a narrow person when we see one, or have to interact with one. If that is her attitude, then she can take her "choice" nonsense and go back to wherever she came from, because we don't want or need to hear it. We know exactly who we are, we've always known, and we won't be told otherwise by some hardheaded, myopic heterosexual who wouldn't know the first thing about being gay or, for that matter, what sexual orientation is to begin with. The burden is on her and those like her to educate themselves (the information and knowledge is out there), get rid of their judgment and presumptuousness, and be open to the possibility that, just maybe, they might be wrong and have to rethink their stance. When they're finally able to authentically do that, the gays and lesbians will be more than willing to meet them halfway and address their concerns.
your comments further proved my point. My family is very religious southern baptists people when i first told them i was a lesbian they didn't understand - they will probably never understand - but they accepted me NOT because I went home and got in there faces telling them everything they've been taught since birth and have taught their children is ignorant and intolerant but because i talked to them i asnwered their questions honestly and explained things from my point of view. I did not notice that on thsi forum as soon as she said dhe didnt agree with homosexuality a poster came out and insulted her intelligence by asking her why she was using a computer since she so clearly rejects science. Anyway my point is that when it comes to topics like this they will not understand fully and we will not agree fully but if there is a line of communication at some point there can be a bridge. I was raised in the church all my life my brain tells me that homosexuality isn't natural but my heart tells me differently. My parents have accepted me for who I am and although they havent and never will reject their religious beliefs they understand that this was not a choice i made and respect that. If I'd used your approach when i first came out I would have never seen my family again. I'm sure a lot of people who voted against gay marriage probably had an experience with someone like you who completely blasted them for not understanding without ever giving them a chance to try to understand. Anyway you do what works for you - I don't have to live your life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or