U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 11:02 AM

26,529 posts, read 24,949,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
I've said it before, but I think she selectively rejects science. That is her prerogative.
Yes, it certainly is. And it's my prerogative to have a strong negative reaction to her statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 11:05 AM

491 posts, read 853,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yes, it certainly is. And it's my prerogative to have a strong negative reaction to her statements.
But that is exactly what ATLater is condemning as counterproductive.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:08 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,522,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
your comments further proved my point. My family is very religious southern baptists people when i first told them i was a lesbian they didn't understand - they will probably never understand - but they accepted me NOT because I went home and got in there faces telling them everything they've been taught since birth and have taught their children is ignorant and intolerant but because i talked to them i asnwered their questions honestly and explained things from my point of view. I did not notice that on thsi forum as soon as she said dhe didnt agree with homosexuality a poster came out and insulted her intelligence by asking her why she was using a computer since she so clearly rejects science. Anyway my point is that when it comes to topics like this they will not understand fully and we will not agree fully but if there is a line of communication at some point there can be a bridge. I was raised in the church all my life my brain tells me that homosexuality isn't natural but my heart tells me differently. My parents have accepted me for who I am and although they havent and never will reject their religious beliefs they understand that this was not a choice i made and respect that. If I'd used your approach when i first came out I would have never seen my family again. I'm sure a lot of people who voted against gay marriage probably had an experience with someone like you who completely blasted them for not understanding without ever giving them a chance to try to understand. Anyway you do what works for you - I don't have to live your life
You do realize that being told you CHOOSE to be gay is telling me I am either stupid or crazy...not nice stuff to hear so I responded in kind...I did not sling mud first....and I tried for a dialogue by DM, but that did not go too well; so I ask you all....who is closing off the dialogue????? And I never received an apology but I apologized TWICE....so the ball is in your court....this has been twisted out of proportion...and it was NOT the gays who threw mud first!

Old 06-27-2009, 11:10 AM

And I got a spouse writhing in pain so can we tone down the hate for a day.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:18 AM

And to one neuron challenged poster/troller....I am done....you are now on my ignored list.....stop feeding the troll....I suggest other members also put this person on your ignore list....let's not be a willing audience to this hate filled nonsense.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:34 AM

26,529 posts, read 24,949,987 times
Quote:
But that is exactly what ATLater is condemning as counterproductive.
Yes, I know that.

And I think ATLater can speak for himself/herself.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:56 AM

544 posts, read 937,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
She said she believes that people choose to be homosexual. It's such a preposterous notion that my natural reaction is to condemn it strongly. It takes a great deal of patience to not respond that way - especially on an internet forum. For the vast majority of people - gay, straight, or in between - sexual orientation is not a chosen trait. I almost think of this as common knowledge, but I guess there are still those who are ignorant or choose to be ignorant of science.
See this the part you are not understanding; it is not so much as rejecting science it is rejecting what they've been taught, what has been engrained in them. You can't just attack someone for holding on to something they've been taught their entire lives. It does take patience on both ends - now if this had been someone who repeatedly said this is how i feel and this is how i think - it's a lost cause but move on. The poster did no such thing. I would have loved to dialouge with her more about what it was in the movie that touched her and then worked back to how that could touch her yet she disagree with homosexuality. Would it have changed her viewpoint - probably not but at least there would have been some dialouge.

Quote:
I've said it before, but I think she selectively rejects science. That is her prerogative.
Most people who are religious reject science at various points. Religion is faith based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
You do realize that being told you CHOOSE to be gay is telling me I am either stupid or crazy...not nice stuff to hear so I responded in kind...I did not sling mud first....and I tried for a dialogue by DM, but that did not go too well; so I ask you all....who is closing off the dialogue????? And I never received an apology but I apologized TWICE....so the ball is in your court....this has been twisted out of proportion...and it was NOT the gays who threw mud first!
Well I wasn't there for the DM so I can't say what was said. But my point is did any one tell the poster that it is offensive to be told that being gay is a choice? Or how about explain why? You had the chance to make your voice heard but instead you chose to be snippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
It is through understanding and love that the world is changing in it's views towards LGBT people. However, with all the hate and lies thrown at and about us, a knee jerk reaction is bound to happen.
I truly believe that is what happened. She said something offeinsive - I do not know if it was intentional or not - and they jumped on her about it and she responded. i hate when things like this happen online or not. Godsavesthequeen is right, I think it's counterproductive. I wouldn't use the word condeming though

Old 06-27-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
See this the part you are not understanding; it is not so much as rejecting science it is rejecting what they've been taught, what has been engrained in them. You can't just attack someone for holding on to something they've been taught their entire lives. It does take patience on both ends - now if this had been someone who repeatedly said this is how i feel and this is how i think - it's a lost cause but move on. The poster did no such thing. I would have loved to dialouge with her more about what it was in the movie that touched her and then worked back to how that could touch her yet she disagree with homosexuality. Would it have changed her viewpoint - probably not but at least there would have been some dialouge.

Most people who are religious reject science at various points. Religion is faith based.

Well I wasn't there for the DM so I can't say what was said. But my point is did any one tell the poster that it is offensive to be told that being gay is a choice? Or how about explain why? You had the chance to make your voice heard but instead you chose to be snippy

I truly believe that is what happened. She said something offeinsive - I do not know if it was intentional or not - and they jumped on her about it and she responded. i hate when things like this happen online or not. Godsavesthequeen is right, I think it's counterproductive. I wouldn't use the word condeming though
I explained to the posters that they called me stupid and/or insane on the board and in direct messages to two posters. I repeatedly tried to open a dialogue; both on the board and thru DM. I also apologized thru direct messaging but was openly received by one and a "lukewarm" response from the other poster. I received an apology from one poster but NOT the other poster after I apologized and I never threw the first mudball. You need to read the DM before replying otherwise it is heresay. Also you need to reread the posts in question and follow thru. You will find that I did opened a dialogue with him and we both thought highly of one another and are now friends...so who really has the problem here....who does not want to participate anymore? and you need to read the whole thread; while the"drunk" or whatever......perrson constantly attacked gay people. The other poster and I had a fruitful DM discussion????? Have a nice day and by the way my partner's fractured arm is doing fine...Thanx for asking

Old 06-27-2009, 01:28 PM

184 posts, read 107,065 times
Most people who are religious reject science at various points. Religion is faith based. that is not true.science help religion by discovering things that religion knew for centuries

Old 06-27-2009, 01:36 PM

184 posts, read 107,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Even if I were to accept your "logic", how would that effect your life or your heterosexual relationship?
because i don't want to see gays in public holding hand and other crap.be gay but be a gay in your own house,don't show it in public it is offensive to other people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or