Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:32 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times

Advertisements

Wow, a nutjob with a racist opinion called into a radio talk show.
I...I.....I'm shocked

One idiot with access to the public domain does not equal all republicans --- unless you (the op) are also saying that the rev wrights anti semitism represents all democrats?

I didn't think so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 11:07 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I was listening to our Conservative morning talk show a couple days ago, and an older gentleman called in, I am assuming he is the typical uneducated Republican but his claim was that Obama does not think like me and you because he is not "ethnically American" due to his Kenyan background and his experience living in Indonesia. I usually listen to these shows mainly for entertainment but the comment struck me as incredibly ignorant, if not racist? It is stuff like this that makes me realize that the GOP "as is" has no future in this country. It is amazing that there people out there who still hold such ignorant, antiquated views in 2009. As a son of immigrants who came to this country and are not "ethnically American", I was truly offended.
Not to mention the simple fact that American citizenship includes ALL ethnicities. I mean, my family is a great example of this - on my father's side we are Scots, Irish, English and German. On my mother's side we can throw in some French (or French/Canadian at the least). One uncle on Dad's side married a Polish woman, whose mother spoke nothing but Polish, having immigrated just before WWII. One uncle on Mom's side married a Cajun woman - and spent the rest of his life defending her from my grandmother's bigotry.
I think what the fellow you were listening to may have meant is "culturally American", though that's not a correct term either, as cultural differences abound in this country. I mean even from one block to the next in any large city and definitely the culture of those in the larger cities is different from the culture in a small town or rural community.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:41 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
In my family, either through birth or adoption, there are Irish, German, Scots, African, Native American, Indian (from the country of India), Chinese, and Dutch. We are all American. My oldest daughter has been in the Army for 29 years and her son grew up all over the world living in many different countries. He is an American. The idea that you must be a WASP living in New Hampshire to be a "real American" is so unAmerican that it boggles the mind. And, by the way, my dad's family has been here since the early 1700s and my mom's family has been here since the mid 1700s. So if anyone could have been judgemental about who was or wasn't an "American" you'd have thought it would have been them. But NEVER did I hear such gibberish from them.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I wish I could rep you again, LML. My own family is primarily German, which is itself an amalgam, and DH's is Swedish and Danish. The Swedish side has some ethnically "Asian" traits, probably from getting it together with the Lapps. I grew up in "the melting pot of America" (that's what they called it then), western Pennsylvania, where there were, and still are, all sorts of ethnicities, particularly from eastern and southern Europe. I never heard my family speak negatively about these groups. One time my mom was drving a car pool and one of the kids was telling Polish (not the word he used) jokes, and one of the girls of Polish ancestry got angry. My mom yelled from the driver's seat, "We're all Americans. Cut this stuff out!". I feel we have all been enriched by the contributions of ALL immigrants.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:51 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Being married to someone who was born and raised in the Philippines, I can honestly say Obama doesn't think like I do.
Maybe its too early in the morning (for me), but I'm not certain what being married to someone from the phillippines has to do with Obama.

I was born and raised in a small rural town (lots of horses and every property had over an acre) right here in the US, and I'm proud that I think a lot more like the president than the spinning politicians I catch in interviews and opinion pieces constantly (just do your job, we'll reelect you).

Maybe we can do a poll?!!!
That'll settle things.
Kidding.
Quote:
Growing up in America is not like growing up in other countries, heck I grew up in Indiana, and I am totally different than say someone growing up in Oregon.
Can't disagree with that.
Differences based on income as well.
And education - some families are really good at setting their kids up for success, other families don't know what they'd never been taught.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Using this logic one would have to assume that over the years, a nation of immigrants, there has never been a ethnic American despite the worst arguments of the No Nothings, nativist and other oblivious Americans.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I was listening to our Conservative morning talk show a couple days ago, and an older gentleman called in, I am assuming he is the typical uneducated Republican but his claim was that Obama does not think like me and you because he is not "ethnically American" due to his Kenyan background and his experience living in Indonesia. I usually listen to these shows mainly for entertainment but the comment struck me as incredibly ignorant, if not racist? It is stuff like this that makes me realize that the GOP "as is" has no future in this country. It is amazing that there people out there who still hold such ignorant, antiquated views in 2009. As a son of immigrants who came to this country and are not "ethnically American", I was truly offended.
STOP just a minute, its ok for a supreme court nominee to claim that she will have different decisions based upon her heritage, but its not ok for a caller to claim that Obama would make different decisions?

Claiming Obama wouldnt come to a different decision than "white guys" would be like claiming gay people like to have sex with someone of the opposite gender.. Remember, its the differences in this nation that make it so great, now you come along and claim that there isnt any difference..

Liberals never stop trying to spin arguments while ignoring previously spun arguments. If it wasnt so funny it would be sad..

Old 06-13-2009, 01:45 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
I am all for freedom of expression, but it is really sad to see how some of you use it.
My ancestors who were not immigrants when they founded this country and made sure that we have these freedoms. And where is your respect for the elderly. Obama was not brought up in a traditional home and evidently some of you were not either. I just wish some of you had half the intregrity the man on the telephone had. Everything he said is true and he is not the racist, you are. You want to spout all your garbage, but you don't want to have any respect or tolerance for the ideas of anyone else. You can call him all the names you want to, but it is people like him that has stood in the gap and made this a strong country.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am all for freedom of expression, but it is really sad to see how some of you use it.
My ancestors who were not immigrants when they founded this country and made sure that we have these freedoms. And where is your respect for the elderly. Obama was not brought up in a traditional home and evidently some of you were not either. I just wish some of you had half the intregrity the man on the telephone had. Everything he said is true and he is not the racist, you are. You want to spout all your garbage, but you don't want to have any respect or tolerance for the ideas of anyone else. You can call him all the names you want to, but it is people like him that has stood in the gap and made this a strong country.
So what? Are you saying you're not an American if you weren't brought up in an intact, two parent family? That would have disqualified some past presidents, and a lot of future ones.

Why should there be tolerance for those who make fun of other ethnicities?

You don't know anything about this man except that he was on the other end of a phone.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:03 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,807 times
I would change the title of this thread to:

Obama: not ethically American
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies