U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-15-2009, 11:48 AM
 
26,172 posts, read 18,877,813 times
Reputation: 14034

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post

I live in a democrat city that definitely leans liberal but some of my neighbors are Conservative Republicans, the men mostly. And the general population is about 30 to 40% Conservative. So how far can these liberal minded people get from Conservatives that will make them happy? Do they feel that they cannot win a debate with a Conservative? What are they afraid of?
reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,505 posts, read 51,217,407 times
Reputation: 24606
I can reason with many real conservatives (winning debates is disruptive and mostly meaningless but changing minds is important) but find the many "true believers" are not amenable to any argument that challenges their belief system.

I am not afraid of argument but I am afraid of neocon economic policies that set up our recent financial bubble that has resulted in our current economic collapse. I am also afraid of "conservative" Presidents that use deceptive means to garner support for illegal overseas military adventures for the benefit of some of their tyrannical friends like the Saudi Royals and their corporate supporters.

I am not intolerant of thoughtful conservatives but I have very little use for the Rabble Roused by Rush and deluded into a false, but emotionally secure, reality.

I have found most of my liberal friends to be quite tolerant of reasonable conservative thoughts and political positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
12,614 posts, read 8,735,801 times
Reputation: 6329
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I can reason with many real conservatives (winning debates is disruptive and mostly meaningless but changing minds is important) but find the many "true believers" are not amenable to any argument that challenges their belief system.

I am not afraid of argument but I am afraid of neocon economic policies that set up our recent financial bubble that has resulted in our current economic collapse. I am also afraid of "conservative" Presidents that use deceptive means to garner support for illegal overseas military adventures for the benefit of some of their tyrannical friends like the Saudi Royals and their corporate supporters.

I am not intolerant of thoughtful conservatives but I have very little use for the Rabble Roused by Rush and deluded into a false, but emotionally secure, reality.

I have found most of my liberal friends to be quite tolerant of reasonable conservative thoughts and political positions.

Is that a 2 way street? Would you tolerate a Democrat president doing the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
15,400 posts, read 19,519,256 times
Reputation: 11064
Anyone who reads every page of this thread will have their "own" answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Gone
25,235 posts, read 13,995,874 times
Reputation: 5916
[quote=ELOrocks17;9302398][quote=Casper in Dallas;9302283]
So far, All I have heard is that Obama's legal status is in dispute. Then you have not been paying attention to Rush and his bunch nor reading any discussion boards or rightwing web sites, otherwise you might not be 100% truthful there. Considering how rabid the leftwing media was regarding Bush's elegibility to be President over the National guard AWOL documents, It hardly seems unreasonable that conservatives would take the same tack. And he never produced any records that explained his time "away", since you believe he in compliance then do not fault others for doing the same. Especially since no Republican lawmakers are making an issue of his BC.As far as the other "Examples" I have not heard anyone from FOX mention those. As I said, FOX is not the only means of spreading rummors, accusations and outright lies. [/quote]
Casper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 07:15 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,479 posts, read 13,823,844 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't think you recognize what has happened the past 6 months, at all.
Actually, since I live here, I do. I also know what happened in the last 8 years we've suffered. My father, a wise libertarian, is the one who gave me & my siblings that great bit of advice. If he's not flapping his hands, then no one should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
12,614 posts, read 8,735,801 times
Reputation: 6329
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Actually, since I live here, I do. I also know what happened in the last 8 years we've suffered. My father, a wise libertarian, is the one who gave me & my siblings that great bit of advice. If he's not flapping his hands, then no one should.

And tell me Kafar...what hardships have you personally suffered over the last 8 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 07:22 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,479 posts, read 13,823,844 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
And tell me Kafar...what hardships have you personally suffered over the last 8 years?
the continued environmental destruction, the patriot act, the administration's "if you're not w/us, you're w/the terrorists", the degradation of our relationships w/our allies & how the rest of the world viewed our country on that watch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
12,614 posts, read 8,735,801 times
Reputation: 6329
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
the continued environmental destruction, the patriot act, the administration's "if you're not w/us, you're w/the terrorists", the degradation of our relationships w/our allies & how the rest of the world viewed our country on that watch
So what you are saying is that even though you were "suffering" sleepless nights because France didnt like us, You still had 3 sqare meals a day, a roof over your head, able to drive your car, going out to party on Friday, having a job. Can you say that now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 07:33 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,479 posts, read 13,823,844 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
So what you are saying is that even though you were "suffering" sleepless nights because France didnt like us, You still had 3 sqare meals a day, a roof over your head, able to drive your car, going out to party on Friday, having a job. Can you say that now?
Hmm, sure...but waaait a minute here. Wasn't this you that just posted this on another thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Good lord...how far does our country have to sink before idiotic liberals start thinking of the country, instead of only themselves?
Holy s**t, the hypocrisy just never ends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:24 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top