Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 01:12 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Most of America is too busy to pay much attention to the silly things that are talked about every day on this forum. You can huff and puff all you want - they won't hear you.

I feel bad for those who are so consumed by hatred for Democrats and liberals.

Thank you!!! I'm glad that I read your post before I posted because I was thinking the same thing. Seems to me that most people are busy working and suporting their families and/or themselves to be consumed by such nonsense. In all honesty, the original poster's points sound like more Fox News/Rush Limbaugh propoganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 03:02 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
In all honesty, the original poster's points sound like more Fox News/Rush Limbaugh propoganda.
Well, you HAVE read the OP's past posts, haven't you? You'll get a good laugh.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:50 PM

639 posts, read 1,142,772 times
Slow down Casper, there's a big difference between pointing out correctly that a candidate for POTUS sat in a racist church with a racist pastor for twenty years and didn't notice the pastor or the church were racist. Either he is so racist himself that the anti-white rants seemed OK, or he's too stupid to realize he's sitting in a racist church with a racist pastor. Maybe it's both. Our liberal friends are quick to point a finger at anyone who disagrees with them, but not to argue the merits of their polices. The answers they give are attacks that are personal an sleazy. The OP list a number of them and there's lots more. The latest attacks on Palin and her daughter are simply another example of the depths the left will go to gain political power. They will do anything and say anything to get it. They have no standards which guide their behavior other than gain control over people's freedoms no matter the cost. We've quadrupled the deficit for a stimulus bill and unpressidented federal budget. Now they want looniversal heath care because the current system is too costly (so they say). But every entitlement program the government runs is broke and every trust fund set aside has been raided. So we should trust them with even more of our money? How much monopoly money can we throw at the economy before it completely collapses? How much more debt are we going to saddle our kids with? The Democrats have no new answers. They didn't before the election and they don't now. What they do have are personal attacks in place of answers and a huge campaign slush fund our kids will be working to pay off for years and years.

Mo....great post....as many times as the liberals on this board want to shout that the Conservatives don't want to participate in honest discourse they make statements that indicate their elitist attitude, in a condescending fashion, showing they too believe that they have the answers and don't need to debate the issues. I can negotiate on certain issues but am very rigid on others. This is America and we are all entitled to our opinions as long as it doesn't denigrate into personal attacks. We will continue believing you are wrong and you can continue believing we are wrong. Radical changes are being made to the government as we speak. America is asleep at the wheel. I fear what the future holds for this country but only time will tell.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:22 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Slow down Casper, there's a big difference between pointing out correctly that a candidate for POTUS sat in a racist church with a racist pastor for twenty years and didn't notice the pastor or the church were racist. Either he is so racist himself that the anti-white rants seemed OK, or he's too stupid to realize he's sitting in a racist church with a racist pastor. Maybe it's both. Our liberal friends are quick to point a finger at anyone who disagrees with them, but not to argue the merits of their polices. The answers they give are attacks that are personal an sleazy. The OP list a number of them and there's lots more. The latest attacks on Palin and her daughter are simply another example of the depths the left will go to gain political power. They will do anything and say anything to get it. They have no standards which guide their behavior other than gain control over people's freedoms no matter the cost. We've quadrupled the deficit for a stimulus bill and unpressidented federal budget. Now they want looniversal heath care because the current system is too costly (so they say). But every entitlement program the government runs is broke and every trust fund set aside has been raided. So we should trust them with even more of our money? How much monopoly money can we throw at the economy before it completely collapses? How much more debt are we going to saddle our kids with? The Democrats have no new answers. They didn't before the election and they don't now. What they do have are personal attacks in place of answers and a huge campaign slush fund our kids will be working to pay off for years and years.
The problem with your thought is that not everyone that is around, or exposed to, racists or other hate groups are infected, I wasn't and I know many others. You assume too much IMO, because I have yet to see our President show any sign of being anything like the past preacher at his church. As for the discourse between left, right and in-between, I have learned oh too well what having a different view point the hard line right gets me. Normally it starts out simple enough, a couple of insults and lot of ranting on about the 'evil left" and occasionally goes much further. This discussion board is very tame in comparison to many others out there, the mods here do a good job of weeding out the really outragous posts. And before you bring it up again, yes there are those on BOTH sides that are guilty of throwing out civil discussion in favor of childish attacks. The difference I see is that the majority of the time it is someone from the right side of the issues the begins the fighting, from there on that particular thread goes nowhere. I am willing to discuss any issue with anyone, so long as they can remain adult, as I have said before here, sometimes one can disagree with another poster on one issue and agree on another. In the short amount of time I have been on this board I have had that exact thing happen more than once, and with both the left and the right and of-course the middle standing posters. One of the great things about this site is that there is a very high percentage of Independents, people that lead toward the conservative side on some issues and towards the liberal side on others, it makes for more interesting discussions, IMO. So, I welcome discussions from the left or right, isn't that one of the main reasons we come here? I have been to sites that are dominated by one side or another, nothing to disagree on if you are one of them, only fighting if you disagree and very little to be learned, in other words, boring.
Casper

Old 06-17-2009, 06:40 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
have yet to see our President show any sign of being anything like the past preacher at his church.
Snubbing Israel is exactly what Rev Wright is preaching..and Giggles is following suite.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:15 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
[quote=GregW;9304006]
Quote:
I am not afraid of argument but I am afraid of neocon economic policies that set up our recent financial bubble that has resulted in our current economic collapse. I am also afraid of "conservative" Presidents that use deceptive means to garner support for illegal overseas military adventures for the benefit of some of their tyrannical friends like the Saudi Royals and their corporate supporters.
How do you feel about Democrat foreign policies that hand nuclear capabilities to our avowed enemies? We have 40,000 soldiers on the northern border of South Korea acting as a speedbump to North Korean hegemony, yet Clinton thought that giving North Korea nukes was a good idea.

Quote:
I have found most of my liberal friends to be quite tolerant of reasonable conservative thoughts and political positions.
That could not be further from my experiences with liberals. I often cannot express my opinion for fear of being socially ostracized at parties or practically spit on during heated exchanges with liberals. We Conservatives have to wink at each other from across the room or quietly express agreement when others aren't looking. We have to find ways to maintain our beliefs yet not set off some liberal in the room.
Liberalism is their religion and woe betide anyone who expresses opposing viewpoints.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Well, he was a popular Democrat. Didn't seem like there was really much to it after that. Just more partisan excess by the right-wing. Same as it ever was...and still is...
Wrong about the partisan excess. The man did lie in a federal district court after taking a vow not to do just that. Of course, few of his avid supporters have ever realized that he was not impeached for what he did with Monica Lewinsky. She wasn't even involved in that court hearing, but every time I see one of those supporters mention the famous BJ I realize that I am reading another of those people who don't even know what the trial was about.

I was never in favor of that impeachment but I at least knew what it was about and didn't want it just because of what could be the outcome. A president who lies in court has broken the law and deserves to be punished but this was dealing with making Algore the President and I sure didn't want that to happen over some sexual abuse. I guess I just committed some kind of sexual abuse by saying that.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:57 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Wrong about the partisan excess. The man did lie in a federal district court after taking a vow not to do just that. Of course, few of his avid supporters have ever realized that he was not impeached for what he did with Monica Lewinsky. She wasn't even involved in that court hearing, but every time I see one of those supporters mention the famous BJ I realize that I am reading another of those people who don't even know what the trial was about.

I was never in favor of that impeachment but I at least knew what it was about and didn't want it just because of what could be the outcome. A president who lies in court has broken the law and deserves to be punished but this was dealing with making Algore the President and I sure didn't want that to happen over some sexual abuse. I guess I just committed some kind of sexual abuse by saying that.
I think, though, that it needs to be asked why the President was in the court to begin with, don't you? Throughout our history we have excused Presidents from being parties to civil litigations while they are in office. Why was Clinton treated differently?

Old 06-17-2009, 03:45 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Wrong about the partisan excess. The man did lie in a federal district court after taking a vow not to do just that.
Actually not.

Quote:
A president who lies in court has broken the law and deserves to be punished...
Actually, lying under oath is not a crime. Perjury is a crime. There are six elements to perjury, each of which must be established to make the case...

1. The witness must be under oath.
2. The witness must understand that he is under oath.
3. The witness must make a statement that is demonstrably false.
4. The witness must have known that the statement was false at the time.
5. The statement must be material to the issue being tried.
6. The intent of the witness must have been to subvert the jury's ability to find the truth.

There isn't a prosecutor in the country who would have wanted to try Clinton for perjury without a gun to his head.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:02 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Actually not.

Actually, lying under oath is not a crime. Perjury is a crime. There are six elements to perjury, each of which must be established to make the case...

1. The witness must be under oath.
2. The witness must understand that he is under oath.
3. The witness must make a statement that is demonstrably false.
4. The witness must have known that the statement was false at the time.
5. The statement must be material to the issue being tried.
6. The intent of the witness must have been to subvert the jury's ability to find the truth.

There isn't a prosecutor in the country who would have wanted to try Clinton for perjury without a gun to his head.
And you didnt think Clinton was guilty of all of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies