U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 03:42 PM

3,043 posts, read 6,839,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
To qualify a potential crime based on if he made money or not, is not the issue. It makes not one bit of difference. The issue is if he sold his stocks based on information he received in a debriefing.

I don't know if this is the case. Can you point this out in the statute?

EDIT: Never mind. Texdav made a good point about ethics violations. However, do ethics violations count as a crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 03:49 PM

12,870 posts, read 13,109,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Sorry, was it illegal?

This doesnt say what his funds held or what stocks he held.

He didnt do any better with Berkshire Hathaway, haha.
the only reason he didn't do better with berkshire hathaway was the timing as berkshire notes that back in 2006 it paid about $690 million in federal tax on capital gains. Berkshire says the payment can only be fully recovered "if capital losses of at least $1.98 billion are taken in 2009." they are taking losses now to avoid federal taxes. big surprise! i am assuming that he is not planning on selling the stock anytime soon however.

Last edited by fauve; 06-14-2009 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Used edit instead of reply.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
the only reason he didn't do better with berkshire hathaway was the timing as berkshire notes that back in 2006 it paid about $690 million in federal tax on capital gains. Berkshire says the payment can only be fully recovered "if capital losses of at least $1.98 billion are taken in 2009." they are taking losses now to avoid federal taxes. big surprise! i am assuming that he is not planning on selling the stock anytime soon however.
Is that all? The fact that Berkshire's holdings were decimated in the crash had no effect on share price?

Old 06-14-2009, 04:09 PM

41,314 posts, read 39,496,708 times
Quote:
However, do ethics violations count as a crime?
Insider trading is also a crime.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:08 PM

^^^I agree.

Can you show me in the insider trading statute where no profit is necessary for it to be considered a crime? It may very well be, but it may very well be not. I'm not trying to excuse insider trading by any means. Just wondering if it can technically be considered a crime if there is no quantifiable measure supporting the charge.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:11 PM

12,870 posts, read 13,109,624 times
no profit has to be realized for it to be a crime. it is extremely difficult to prove insider trading, however.
http://www.dlapiper.com/files/upload/NYLJ_July08.pdf

Old 06-14-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
no profit has to be realized for it to be a crime. it is extremely difficult to prove insider trading, however.
http://www.dlapiper.com/files/upload/NYLJ_July08.pdf
Great article, but each example refers to "illicit gains," which further makes me think that this phrase may come straight from the statute. They even cite a case where the couple had a $9,000 gain and were still prosecuted "even though" the illicit gain was so small. I would think they would have found an example where there were no illict gains as a better example of how far the statute is reaching. I have just never come across a prosecuted white collar crime that had no quantifiable gain, so am suspicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies