Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 02:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Please educate yourself about how Berkshire works before commenting anymore. And the fact is is that what you said was 100% incorrect. But why would that bother you.
Quote:
Incorrect representation of BRK.B.
Since you claim to know so much, please tell me what is wronga bout it? Hathaway also owns Boat USA, Dairy Queen, Jordans Furniture, Fruit of the Loom, Shaw Industries, along with hunreds of other non financial industries. BOTH the .A and .B are assets secured against the MAIN corporation, the ONLY difference is that B is 1/200th of a voting right of a class A share.

p.s. even Berkshire Hathaway reports them together
BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY INC
Omaha, NE (BRK.A; BRK.B)

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/compab.html

Berkshire Hathaway Inc. has two classes of common stock designated Class A and Class B. A share of Class B common stock has the rights of 1/30th of a share of Class A common stock except that a Class B share has 1/200th of the voting rights of a Class A share (rather than 1/30th of the vote). Each share of a Class A common stock is convertible at any time, at the holder’s option, into 30 shares of Class B common stock. This conversion privilege does not extend in the opposite direction. That is, holders of Class B shares are not able to convert them into Class A shares. Both Class A & B shareholders are entitled to attend the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting which is held the first Saturday in May.

You think they are different in the underlying assets held, maybe you should call and tell Buffet he is wrong.. I for one think he holds more intelligence on the topic than any poster or even reporter on the topic..

They are assets/liabilities ON THE SAME COMPANY.. The fact that someone bought .A vs .B adds NOTHING to the topic, stop pretending it does
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 02:41 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Asset sales came after meeting with Fed, Treasury chiefs

Durbin cashed out during big stock collapse :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: News (http://www.suntimes.com/news/1620776,CST-NWS-durbin13.article - broken link)

Wow. This guy should be in a heap of trouble, but he's a democrat so I'm almost certain he will get a pass.
Sorry, was it illegal?

This doesnt say what his funds held or what stocks he held.

He didnt do any better with Berkshire Hathaway, haha.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Sorry, was it illegal?
Trading on insider information is but who is to determine if that scenario is considered insider information ?

Old 06-13-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Sorry, was it illegal?
Thats the question that needs to be asked. If he sold stocks based upon information he obtained as an "insider" the answer is yes. Not enough information to determine if he did though.
Quote:
He didnt do any better with Berkshire Hathaway, haha.
Which is a side note, but adds nothing to the original question. He could have sold his stocks and gave his money to the homeless or burned it for heat. What he did with the money, if its gained due to an illegal act is not important..

Old 06-13-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Trading on insider information is but who is to determine if that scenario is considered insider information ?
I know, but no one accused him of insider trading that I saw in that article.

It was pretty clear a good top had been reached back then. Unless there are records of him calling his broker as soon as he left the building I dont see what can be made of this. News was already nervous by mid-Sept.

As for the headline, EVERYONE sold during "the big stock collapse"! Sept 17, the top had been reached weeks before and people were already selling.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:53 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Since you claim to know so much, please tell me what is wronga bout it? Hathaway also owns Boat USA, Dairy Queen, Jordans Furniture, Fruit of the Loom, Shaw Industries, along with hunreds of other non financial industries. BOTH the .A and .B are assets secured against the MAIN corporation, the ONLY difference is that B is 1/200th of a voting right of a class A share.

p.s. even Berkshire Hathaway reports them together
BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY INC
Omaha, NE (BRK.A; BRK.B)

You think they are different in the underlying assets held, maybe you should call and tell Buffet he is wrong.. I for one think he holds more intelligence on the topic than any poster or even reporter on the topic..

Class A and Class B Stock Comparison

Berkshire Hathaway Inc. has two classes of common stock designated Class A and Class B. A share of Class B common stock has the rights of 1/30th of a share of Class A common stock except that a Class B share has 1/200th of the voting rights of a Class A share (rather than 1/30th of the vote). Each share of a Class A common stock is convertible at any time, at the holder’s option, into 30 shares of Class B common stock. This conversion privilege does not extend in the opposite direction. That is, holders of Class B shares are not able to convert them into Class A shares. Both Class A & B shareholders are entitled to attend the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting which is held the first Saturday in May.

They are assets/liabilities ON THE SAME COMPANY.. The fact that someone bought .A vs .B adds NOTHING to the topic, stop pretending it does
Go back and read your response to fauve. Your response was not correct, sorry. You simply conflated BRK.B for the whole of Berskshire, which is not what he was talking about. See what you are accusing me of is what you yourself did, just in reverse, but you don't have a problem with it when you do it, now do you.

And as to the thread, it's merely a talking point on the OP's daily propaganda from some right-wing hacks.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Go back and read your response to fauve. Your response was not correct, sorry. You simply conflated BRK.B for the whole of Berskshire, which is not what he was talking about.
Do you even know what a share of stock is? BRK.B is a SHARE of stock, its a COMMON stock, I simply showed that fauve was wrong in their statement of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Second of all, Berkshire B owns mostly insurance companies and banks!!!
Absolutely postivively 100% WRONG, There is NO difference between what assets are held as collateral between BRK.A and BRK.B.

BRK.A is the preferred stock, BRK.B is a common stock BOTH of which hold assets in companies like Dairy Queen, Coca Cola, Washington Post, Nike Shoes, Gillette Company, LOTS of non banking equity assets. The ONLY difference between BRK.A and BRK.B is that BRK.B is guaranteed to be worth less than 1/30th of a value of BRK.A by nature of design, and what percentage of a vote holders get against Berkshire Hathaway main corporation. PERIOD..

It was created so that the "average" investor can invest in the ABOVE companies, under the Berkshire Hathaway label.. The fact that I have to keep repeating this to you, while you claim I was wrong, even though I posted links from Berkshire Hathaways own website confirming what I said is true is just astounding.
Quote:
And as to the thread, it's merely a talking point on the OP's daily propaganda from some right-wing hacks.
Actually I think it was a talking point put into place to give the left "justification" for Durbins cashing out of the other stock. After all, there is no real reason to add it unless one wishes to justify an illegal action (if indeed there is one) by saying that the resulting investment was also at a loss. Thats not "right wing" at all, but its a left wing justification which others here from the left have already repeated, claiming that is what matters.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Actually I think it was a talking point put into place to give the left "justification" for Durbins cashing out of the other stock. After all, there is no real reason to add it unless one wishes to justify an illegal action (if indeed there is one) by saying that the resulting investment was also at a loss. Thats not "right wing" at all, but its a left wing justification which others here from the left have already repeated, claiming that is what matters.
Why "the left"? The only political thing about this is that someone is probably gunning for Durbin and trying to make something out of nothing in this article.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:14 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Do you even know what a share of stock is? BRK.B is a SHARE of stock, its a COMMON stock, I simply showed that fauve was wrong in their statement of.

Absolutely postivively 100% WRONG, There is NO difference between what assets are held as collateral between BRK.A and BRK.B.

BRK.A is the preferred stock, BRK.B is a common stock BOTH of which hold assets in companies like Dairy Queen, Coca Cola, Washington Post, Nike Shoes, Gillette Company, LOTS of non banking equity assets. The ONLY difference between BRK.A and BRK.B is that BRK.B is guaranteed to be worth less than 1/30th of a value of BRK.A by nature of design, and what percentage of a vote holders get against Berkshire Hathaway main corporation. PERIOD..

It was created so that the "average" investor can invest in the ABOVE companies, under the Berkshire Hathaway label.. The fact that I have to keep repeating this to you, while you claim I was wrong, even though I posted links from Berkshire Hathaways own website confirming what I said is true is just astounding.
Yes, I'm perfectly aware of what BRK.B is.

And there is no need to justify what Durbin did, as other posters have already pointed out.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I guess it would be a crime if he cashed out using insider information and MADE money on the deal.
Since he lost money it's a non-issue. No one asked him about it so he hasn't lied.

Martha Stewart netted about $200K from insider trading but wasn't charged with it. Instead she was charged with lying to the SEC and FBI and obstructing justice. I don't see that Durbin did that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies