U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:44 PM

16,569 posts, read 28,657,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
While I agree a helmet may not have helped the person in the accident Repubocrat described, the statistics are on the side of the helmet wearers.

TheDay.com - A Rider's Choice, But Helmets Do Save Lives

"National Highway Safety Traffic Administration brochure DOT HS 810 887W, available online, states “An unhelmeted motorcyclist is 40 percent more likely to suffer a fatal head injury and 15 percent more likely to suffer a nonfatal injury than a helmeted motorcyclist when involved in a crash.” "
Wearing a helmet helps the wearer survive a fall or crash, and seat belts too aids the wearer. However, should governments create laws to tell us to wear a seatbelt, or a helmet?

Most laws are created with good intentions, and that's good. But in reality, a lot of the laws relating to driving, traffic, and such, are mostly sources of revenue to local governments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 08:44 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,174,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As much as I try to be tolerant of a lot of different viewpoints, I think that anyone who rides a motorcycle w/o a helmet is nuts, and I think a state that doesn't require it is contributing to the nuttiness.
The state is simply allowing people to judge whether any benefits outweigh the potential consequences for themselves.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:48 PM

26,529 posts, read 24,949,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I don't see the same things you do, and I will point-out why:
Just a note: I didn't write the opinion piece. Mike Murphy did.

Quote:
Obama campaigned against Bush policies, and won not by a landslide. If I well remember, Obama got somewhere around 56% of the votes, which isn't any differently than the way Bush won just before him, Clinton, etc. That's the way it always is.
I'd say it was an electoral vote landslide for Obama, but I understand the point you're making about the popular vote. The final popular vote tally was 52.9% - 45.7%, but that was quite different from Bush's wins. In 2000, Bush actually lost the popular vote (47.9 - 48.4), and in 2004, he won 50.7 - 48.3, a 2.4 point advantage over Kerry. Obama's margin of victory was 7.2 points over McCain - which is triple the margin of victory that Bush had over Kerry.

United States presidential election, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The next president's win or not depends on how Obama does for the next three years, and the prospects don't look good at all.
Based on what? I do think it's way too early to predict the election of 2012, but things are going fine for Obama so far:

Pollster.com: National Job Approval: Pres. Barack Obama

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 06-14-2009 at 08:58 PM..

Old 06-14-2009, 08:48 PM

86,883 posts, read 102,281,764 times
I give up! I'm not talking about never taking a risk. I'm talking about taking ridiculous risks. Smoking is dumb, too, but I'm not getting into one more smoking thread.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:55 PM

339 posts, read 639,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Republicans have killed themselves with Bush and then Palin.
The Democrats are in power and we'll see what the Obama-nation produces.

I'm hopeful that in 2012 folks on both sides will be so fed up that a new third party emerges.
Yessssssssss! I'm with you. I've been at this point for years. I'm sick of both sides. They have gotten so far apart that you have to be a little wacky one way or another just to fit in. All the do-rights and the peace loving tree-huggers are getting too violent and irrational for me. We need a common sense party.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:57 PM

3,983 posts, read 3,368,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD View Post
Yessssssssss! I'm with you. I've been at this point for years. I'm sick of both sides. They have gotten so far apart that you have to be a little wacky one way or another just to fit in. All the do-rights and the peace loving tree-huggers are getting too violent and irrational for me. We need a common sense party.

Absolutely ... The Common Sense Party will settle things down a bit that's for certain.

And then we can get back down to the business of living in America again ...

Old 06-14-2009, 09:02 PM

339 posts, read 639,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Absolutely ... The Common Sense Party will settle things down a bit that's for certain.

And then we can get back down to the business of living in America again ...
Maybe we should start a common sense party movement.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:08 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,675,284 times
The republican best idea is what parties have done for decades. Leave it up to teh democrats to creat their own problems and then promise chnge. That is just what Reagan did . With the spending how like never seen and not even a bump democrats in congress are plenty worried about 2010. They expected at least a bump for the ecomy and they are really mad that the so called second priority of soolving the toxic assets plan has never happened as promised months ago by the administrtion. Its one thign to spend money its another to spend it with no clear plan which is efvident doesn't exist. Now they are clamoring to work on healthacre with a huge deficit, Obama has put himself in a corner with only goals.The only thing that has been done started under Bush with the bank spending on with the first half of TARP. The promise of the second half of TARP for Obama to solve the toxic assets has been spent on the banks and the auto indutry. People are losing their homes and calling congress asking where the help is and congress has said don't come back for more money because we ain't OKing more without a clear plan.Even the G20 nixed his spending proposals, He faces more conservative western europe leaders at any future confrence since then.The one saving grace is the budget proposal whicn is just a wish list and has to be funded. Congress has to funded evry item and they are really nervoius about spending howe tih 2010 elections coming quickly.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:08 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,174,547 times
Quote:
I'm in.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:09 PM

26,529 posts, read 24,949,987 times
Quote:
Ross Perot led the last one. Hopefully you can do better than he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or