U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 06:55 PM

6,162 posts, read 11,201,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I can think of a number of things, but roasting them alive is not one answer that occurs to me.
First, my post was a reposnse to someone who said that all prisons are horrible, and that it's a sorry society that chooses to build them.
Second, this woman was not roasted alive as punishment. She was roasted alive as the result of a horrible bit of negligence or ineptitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 07:04 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,417,205 times
Default So What is the moral?

America sucks? Do not be a prostitute? How can we fix this?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:06 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,164,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
This is the most important part. Since this woman is already dead, the question is "how can we prevent it from happening in the future?"

As far as the "do not be a prostitute," the same thing could have happened to her if she had been in there for drugs, for theft, for anything.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 06-14-2009 at 07:50 PM..

Old 06-14-2009, 07:40 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,289,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
That's the problem, once somebody's dead: there's no fixing it.

Filing complaints with the Arizona ACLU is about the only practical suggestion that's been offered; the address is in this thread somewhere.

What I'm going to tell them is that the cages either need to come down or be shaded and supplied with a water source, pronto.
And I understand that they are not going to come down; the prison already said they're going to keep them in case of riots or something.
Nevertheless, they need to be immediately shaded and supplied with a water source which can be freely accessed by anyone caged inside.

None of that could possible cost more than a couple of thousand dollars.
Throw a few sheets of plywood on top, or even a canvas tarp... put in a water source; an outdoor-type faucet of the type one affixes a garden hose to would be fine. Prisoners could cup their hands to drink it. They could stick their heads under it to cool off.
I still don't consider this "cage" idea in any way humane, but with these minor changes it would at least no longer be inhuman.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:44 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,257,305 times
Quote:
Sadly, you are.

Poll any of your conservative friends and family who listen to Rush Limbaugh. I think you'll be horrified at what you'll find.
Ask my seventy three year old rush limbaugh listening republican mother what she thinks of the US judicial system and you will hear only a slightly edited version of NWAs 'F**K the Police'.

But yeah - all conservatives and all republicans hate people and have no compassion

Old 06-14-2009, 07:56 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,289,916 times
Let's not make this a partisan issue.
Nobody in their right mind wants retarded old ladies to be tortured to death.
Anyone who does- or who says they don't care- is out of their mind.
let's just leave it at that.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I'll agree with that one 100%

Old 06-14-2009, 09:47 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,562,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Ask my seventy three year old rush limbaugh listening republican mother what she thinks of the US judicial system and you will hear only a slightly edited version of NWAs 'F**K the Police'.
Doesn't prove much. People can have all sorts of reasons for despising the judicial system. I have no doubt that Tim McVeigh and the Holocaust Museum shooter despised the judicial system.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,562,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
It is absolutely partisan. Look up "Arpaio" on this forum and you'll see what I mean. Of course, the right-wing animals will say "Oh no, we didn't expect that to happen!!!" (Any drunk driver could say the same thing.)

Old 06-14-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Doesn't prove much. People can have all sorts of reasons for despising the judicial system. I have no doubt that Tim McVeigh and the Holocaust Museum shooter despised the judicial system.
It certainly proves my point that I am not in the extreme minority.

Most people (yes, even conservatives) are not automatons with only the ability to regurgitate party lines and stances. Most people have a wide variety of experiences to draw upon and most people recognize that only very few if any people can be described as 'they all'.
In fact, I can't really think of any group of people that can be broadbrushed in such a manner. That you cling to this perception is sad and not informed. Luckily, I don't believe that many/most/all liberals do this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies