U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 07:43 PM

3,854 posts, read 3,730,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I agree with you! It was wrong and somebody should go to jail for it. But I am pointing out that, at the same time, we do not need to give criminals air conditioning. Inmates should have cold water and fans available to them to use. Nothing more.
Actually, I don't think "we" do give inmates air conditioning in most state prisons. I can't give you a link, but I know that in Florida (where it is hot, hot, hot and HUMID) the large majority of our prisons do not have air conditioning. Actually very, very few do. The large prisons here, Florida State Prison and Union Correctional do not have a/c ........and in the summertime, I've been told, that inmates lie on the concrete floors and pour water (not cold water) over themselves in order to survive the heat without having a heatstroke.

So, not to worry. I don't think many places provide a/c for inmates. And with the cost of energy going up all the time, I'd guess those fans which are provided may become a thing of the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
And I repeat, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime." I'm not particularly worried about myself or having these "punitive measures," as you call them, used on me nor my loved ones. "sniff"
Oh, really?

Old 06-13-2009, 07:46 PM

20,310 posts, read 19,418,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I agree with you! It was wrong and somebody should go to jail for it. But I am pointing out that, at the same time, we do not need to give criminals air conditioning. Inmates should have cold water and fans available to them to use. Nothing more.
Agreed. Those who did this should be punished. It was not the heat that killed the hooker but neglect. Crime is a dangerous business especially for the victims. In this case the victima are equally to blame. That said Like you Kev I do not believe in providing criminals with anything more than the basic essentials to live.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Agreed. Those who did this should be punished. It was not the heat that killed the hooker but neglect. Crime is a dangerous business especially for the victims. In this case the victima are equally to blame. That said Like you Kev I do not believe in providing criminals with anything more than the basic essentials to live.
The problem with your belief that "criminals" should not be provided anything more than basic essentials, according to experts in the field, and guards, the problem is POPULATION CONTROL.

Anything which you might see as a "benefit" to the inmate in prison, is NOT given to that inmate for any reason other than to help maintain POPULATION CONTROL. It helps the guards. It prevents riots. It saves the states money because they don't have to hire three times as many guards for the prisons. Having a prison full of people who are hot, tired, hungry (forget about the 3 meals provided being enough calories or nutritious) bored, frustrated and angry, and, well, how are you going to handle that situation? You either provide small TVs, yard time, a visitors' time, allow people to send in books, etc., or you're going to have to hired a TON of guards to keep watch every minute. Even then it will still be dangerous for guards. The things you guys think are provided, or allowed, for inmates other than basic survival, are really provided or allowed in order to keep the "peace" so to speak. It is something that almost ALL guards support.

It takes MONEY to run a prison. Haven't you noticed that some states with budget problems are considering foregoing the death penalty because it is so expensive and just giving death row inmates live without parole EVER? More guards, more of YOUR TAX MONEY.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not the "heat" but "neglect".........wow! You're really splitting hairs on that one.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:50 PM

12,439 posts, read 10,280,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
And I repeat, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime." I'm not particularly worried about myself or having these "punitive measures," as you call them, used on me nor my loved ones. "sniff"
So if it can never happen to you then don't worry about it. Interesting. First not eveyone who ends up in Jail is guilty of committing a crime. The police don't arrest you and then you go straight to trial. A person may not have a trial for many months after the arrest. Second, to commit a crime you have to have mental intent. Lets hope you are your loved ones never have a mental disease like alzheimers where you have no idea as to what is going on around you.

I can almost guarantee you that you have committed a criminal offense at some time, which is not say anything about you personally. Only that the criminal code is large. Almost everyone has. I am not saying that you murdered someone, but you have no idea as to how the intense the criminal code is, and you can be picked up and put in jail for a traffic violation or even not having proof of insurance depending on the state and the circumstances. In a lot of cities, all that is required is that a complaint be filed against you and there is probable cause based on that complaint. So lets hope everyone likes you. Below is an example of things that you can be charged with and can be a felony in certain states depending on the amount.

Theft of services - cable, internet,
Theft of property - office supplies from work
Wreckless driving - driving over the speed limit more than 20 miles etc.
Indecent exposure - urinating in public (public is a broad term)

These are just a few. Mind you that you don't have to actually do any of these things to get arrested and thrown in jail. The police only have to have probable cause which can be based on someone else's statement.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:54 PM

12,625 posts, read 18,125,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I am confused, do you believe leaving anyone out in the Arizona sun for a couple of days would be o.k.? Did that happen to you before? I am just saying ...the sun can fry the brain. We may be a little too hard on you if there is a physical reason for thinking the way that you do.
If you are talking about the woman she was not out in the sun a couple of days. she was in a temp holding cell that is located outside.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:11 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,258,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
The problem with your belief that "criminals" should not be provided anything more than basic essentials, according to experts in the field, and guards, the problem is POPULATION CONTROL.

Anything which you might see as a "benefit" to the inmate in prison, is NOT given to that inmate for any reason other than to help maintain POPULATION CONTROL. It helps the guards. It prevents riots. It saves the states money because they don't have to hire three times as many guards for the prisons. Having a prison full of people who are hot, tired, hungry (forget about the 3 meals provided being enough calories or nutritious) bored, frustrated and angry, and, well, how are you going to handle that situation? You either provide small TVs, yard time, a visitors' time, allow people to send in books, etc., or you're going to have to hired a TON of guards to keep watch every minute. Even then it will still be dangerous for guards. The things you guys think are provided, or allowed, for inmates other than basic survival, are really provided or allowed in order to keep the "peace" so to speak. It is something that almost ALL guards support.

It takes MONEY to run a prison. Haven't you noticed that some states with budget problems are considering foregoing the death penalty because it is so expensive and just giving death row inmates live without parole EVER? More guards, more of YOUR TAX MONEY.
If the prisoners riot they should be handled the same way they were handled in Attica and that is you give them one warning to cease and then you open fire on them until they cease or die- whichever comes first. It is my feeling that prisoners should remain loacked up in their cells all but 1 hour a day anyway and not allowed to roam the prison. But it is also my feleing that there are lots of people in prison that probably should not be there. There are only 2 kinds of people that belong in prison: violent offenders (killers, rapist, assailants, armed robbers) and habitual offenders. The rest should be either in a minimum security facility, half way house or on probation.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:13 PM

18,053 posts, read 10,081,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
If you are talking about the woman she was not out in the sun a couple of days. she was in a temp holding cell that is located outside.
The point being that she was in the sun long enough to die, and apparently no one checked on her to see if she was OK or having problems.

Different people have differing tolerances for the sun and extreme heat.

Her death is on par with people who leave their babies in cars while they go into stores. The child cannot do anything to change its situation except die from the heat. Her death should be grounds for a charge of Negligible Homicide at the very least.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:14 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,258,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
So if it can never happen to you then don't worry about it. Interesting. First not eveyone who ends up in Jail is guilty of committing a crime. The police don't arrest you and then you go straight to trial. A person may not have a trial for many months after the arrest. Second, to commit a crime you have to have mental intent. Lets hope you are your loved ones never have a mental disease like alzheimers where you have no idea as to what is going on around you.

I can almost guarantee you that you have committed a criminal offense at some time, which is not say anything about you personally. Only that the criminal code is large. Almost everyone has. I am not saying that you murdered someone, but you have no idea as to how the intense the criminal code is, and you can be picked up and put in jail for a traffic violation or even not having proof of insurance depending on the state and the circumstances. In a lot of cities, all that is required is that a complaint be filed against you and there is probable cause based on that complaint. So lets hope everyone likes you. Below is an example of things that you can be charged with and can be a felony in certain states depending on the amount.

Theft of services - cable, internet,
Theft of property - office supplies from work
Wreckless driving - driving over the speed limit more than 20 miles etc.
Indecent exposure - urinating in public (public is a broad term)

These are just a few. Mind you that you don't have to actually do any of these things to get arrested and thrown in jail. The police only have to have probable cause which can be based on someone else's statement.
People should not be locked up for any of the above unless they are habitual offenders. They should be be put on probation and have the crap fined out of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies