Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 06:14 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times

Advertisements

Long term this should be intersting to watch.

I suspect that this revolt by some of the people of iran should be put down within a couple of days or so and Ahmadinejad will take his place of power for the this election cycle. But the interesting thing will be to watch in the next election cycle. I think a lot of folks will carry a lot of bitterness from this election and will harbor it and perhaps quietly build an opposition to the current establishment. While I don't see a major relolution anytime near or even in the future. I think Iranian society maybe moved to change more toward some western ideals even if it only very slightly. Granted I also don't believe the U.S. and Iran will be "friends" for a long time. But I think I do see a little glimmer of hope that maybe the youth of Iran are at least looking to stabilize relationships with the west (U.S.)

We shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 06:17 PM

454 posts, read 795,915 times
From a purely selfish point of view, I hope the current Iranian regime holds together. If Iran destabilizes, we're screwed - we'll have unstable reges from Pakistan to Iran. We'll never get out of Iraq.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:04 PM

197 posts, read 378,778 times
NO, the election was falsified, mathematically the statistics don't add up.
Faulty Election Data – tehranbureau (http://tehranbureau.com/2009/06/13/faulty-election-data/ - broken link)
Another coup for the Hardliners – tehranbureau (http://tehranbureau.com/2009/06/12/reading-the-supreme-leader/ - broken link)
Turn of Events – tehranbureau (http://tehranbureau.com/2009/06/13/2360/ - broken link)

other reports, (falsified information and concealment of information)
http://tehranbureau.com/2009/06/13/alerts-from-tehran/ (broken link)
http://www.rsf.org/Massive-censorship-accompanies.html

protest and video coverage
The Real News Network - Iran election protesters beaten
(protest footage)
The Real News Network - Raw Video: Protest in Tehran of Iran Election Results -Vanak Square 4pm 13 June 2009
The Real News Network - Raw Video: Iranians protesting in vast numbers against election results 2009

Old 06-13-2009, 08:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Well Iran wouldn't be the first country where the election was pre-determined.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:08 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
I loved the way the MSM treated Iran's "election" as if it were the New Hampshire primary or something. A real nail-biter -- with bad old monkey man vs. some token opponent who supposedly represented the "reformist" wave that is, ahem, sweeping Iran.

Well guess what. Now that it turned out to be another rig-job by the mullahs, it's relegated to page 2 below the fold, and the chattering class is busily bashing Sarah Palin for being insulted by a gap-toothed geriatric...

Plus ca change, plus la meme chose, indeed.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:40 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Long term this should be intersting to watch.

I suspect that this revolt by some of the people of iran should be put down within a couple of days or so and Ahmadinejad will take his place of power for the this election cycle. But the interesting thing will be to watch in the next election cycle. I think a lot of folks will carry a lot of bitterness from this election and will harbor it and perhaps quietly build an opposition to the current establishment. While I don't see a major relolution anytime near or even in the future. I think Iranian society maybe moved to change more toward some western ideals even if it only very slightly. Granted I also don't believe the U.S. and Iran will be "friends" for a long time. But I think I do see a little glimmer of hope that maybe the youth of Iran are at least looking to stabilize relationships with the west (U.S.)
We shall see.
Glimmer of hope-

Old 06-14-2009, 01:19 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Interesting observations here
Perhaps from the start Mousavi was destined to fail as he hoped to combine the articulate energies of the liberal upper class with the business interests of the bazaar merchants. The Facebook campaigns and text-messaging were perfectly irrelevant for the rural and working classes who struggle to make a day's ends meet, much less have the time to review the week's blogs in an internet cafe. Although Mousavi tried to appeal to such classes by addressing the problems of inflation and poverty, they voted otherwise.
Wishful thinking from Tehran | Abbas Barzegar | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Old 06-14-2009, 04:28 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
I was really bummed by the result. It's always a shame when nutcase nationalists win because of uneducated people who don't know any better. *sigh* another four years....

Old 06-14-2009, 06:17 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Not really, conservative Ahmadinejad won the elections
>>>> The moslem extremist won the election. Like I said, Acorn was active in Iran as well.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:42 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Mousavi wasn't going to exactly be a friend of the west ... he still supports Iran's nuclear program and has referred to Israel as a tumor ...

hmmm ... the rural uneducated love rock me ahmadinijhad and the so called educated elite love Mousavi ... bizarro!

Iran can keep the former hostage taker.
It's really not that bizarre really. The middle class and rural poor are the easiest targets to be brainwashed by Ahmadinejad's evil policies. They have no jobs, no hope, and when you're in that situation, you cling on to the nearest scapegoat you can find and can easily be recruited into any ideology. The Iranian economy is in shambles and what does he do? Focus on anti-Western rhetoric rather than help them out. Unfortunately, the wealthy and those in college are the only ones smart enough to see that.

He's driving Iran into the ground. Iranians are all good people and frankly it's tragic that they have to deal with him for god knows how long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies