Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 02:54 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
You are welcome.

Secondly, I like how you again deflect the subject, as you are actually fairly good at, so I feel I should give you credit. However the point you are making wasn't even the point we were discussing.

This portion of a quote by Odanny:

Synopsis responded by stating the following in regards to the people of Iran desiring peace:

To which your reply was the following:

You didn't answer the actual question about the Iranian people wanting peace, you responded by saying the Iranian people have a lack of protesting their government. In essence you created a clever straw man and deflected the conversation by making a statement in response to something that wasn't even in question.

My response to that discussion was that a majority of the Iranian people seek better relations with the west. Again you attempted to divert the conversation by suggesting the people support their system of government. Which is interesting because no one said anything about the Iranian people supporting or not supporting their government, as we were talking about the Iranian peoples desire for peace and better relations with the west. Again, a straw man you created by responding with an answer no one asked a question to.

I have played these word games with people such as yourself for a long time, but then I guess that makes me an anti-semantic.

Given this polling data and the many videos Iranian people protesting that I have seen, I think it is fair to at least say there is a vein of sentiment that is permeating through the people which is divergent from the belligerent affront so well spewed by Ahmadinejad. I realize you would prefer Ahmadinejad, since it makes the target more viscerally clear.
Your own source, as I pointed out in my previous post, indicates that a majority of Iranians not only support their system of government, but support their government's policies. Those policies are anti-peace (and anti-freedom).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 02:59 PM

28 posts, read 35,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
Your own source, as I pointed out in my previous post, indicates that a majority of Iranians not only support their system of government, but support their government's policies. Those policies are anti-peace (and anti-freedom).
Excuse me say that again??

Old 06-14-2009, 03:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I saw that and it looks like both sides are demonstrating. in a non-democracy it really doesn't mastter;power is the only thing unless the people have guns to fight with.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:14 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
But one should recall that in three decades of presidential elections, the accusations of rigging have rarely been levied against the vote count. Elections here are typically controlled by banning candidates from the start or closing opposition newspapers in advance.
Such anomalies [why the regime keeps not collapsing] can only be explained by a longue duree. Iran is a deeply religious society. Of the Shah's mistakes nepotism, autocracy, and repression were fought by communists and liberals for decades with no success, but it was his attack on the religious establishment that led to his almost overnight demise.
For over a week the same social impulses of anti-corruption, populism, and religious piety that led to the revolution have been on the streets available to anyone who wanted to report on them. Ahmedinejad, for most in the country, embodies those ideals. Since he came into office he has refused to wear a suit, refused to move out of the home he inherited from his father, and has refused to tone down the rhetoric he uses against those he accuses of betraying the nation. When he openly accused his towering rival, Ayatollah Hashemi Rafsanji, a lion of the revolution himself, of parasitical corruption and compared his betrayal to the alleged deception against the Prophet Muhammad that led to the Sunni-Shia split 1,400 years ago, he unleashed a popular impulse that has held the imagination of the masses here for generations. That Rafsanji defended himself through Mousavi's newspaper meant the end for the reformists.
Wishful thinking from Tehran | Abbas Barzegar | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Old 06-14-2009, 04:11 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Ayatollahs Protest Election Fraud – tehranbureau (http://tehranbureau.com/2009/06/14/ayatollahs-protes-election-fraud/ - broken link)

Quote:
The Association of Combatant Clerics, which consists of moderate and leftist clerics and includes such important figures as former president Mohammad Khatami, Ayatollah Mohammad Mousavi Khoiniha, and Grand Ayatollah Abdolkarim Mousavi Ardabili, issued a strongly-worded statement, calling the results of the election invalid.

Grand Ayatollah Saafi Golpaygaani, an important cleric with a large number of followers, warned about the election results and the importance that elections in Iran retain their integrity.
Political coup.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:15 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Not really, conservative Ahmadinejad won the elections
Yeah, but just like the more rabid leftists, he does hate Israel and America.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:17 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,944 times
Default Iranian Protests

The last time I saw Iranians march in the streets like they are now, was back in 1979 in San Fransico, California.

It was very busy on Market Street that day.

What Iranian's used to shout about the U.S. in 1979, is now being shouted in the streets against their own government.

Quote:
Just after sundown, cries of "death to the dictator" echoed through Tehran as thousands of backers for Ahmadinejad's rival, Mir Hossein Mousavi, heeded a call to bellow from the roofs and balconies. The deeply symbolic act recalled the shouts of "Allahu Akbar," or God is Great, to show opposition to the Western-backed monarchy before the 1979 Islamic Revolution.
Ahmadinejad Opponents Shout Protests From Rooftops - ABC News

Last edited by bigskydude; 06-14-2009 at 04:45 PM..

Old 06-14-2009, 04:18 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
I heard a rumor they are claiming that Ahmadinejad can't produce a birth certificate, there by making his Iranian citizenship invalid, thus his Presidency invalid.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I saw that and it looks like both sides are demonstrating. in a non-democracy it really doesn't mastter;power is the only thing unless the people have guns to fight with.
Someone should have mentioned that to the Eastern Europeans, you know the one's in NATO who used to be in the Warsaw Pact.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:26 PM

454 posts, read 795,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnhilltopper View Post
i heard a rumor they are claiming that ahmadinejad can't produce a birth certificate, there by making his iranian citizenship invalid, thus his presidency invalid.
:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies