U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:49 AM

471 posts, read 873,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
It's called "regulation".

If the government want's to help out in this case, then they can help by regulating the industry at large.

Many states have public service commissions that energy companies have to go through in order to raise their rates. If an energy company cannot justify a rate increase, then the state says no to the rate increase.

Regulation may be looked upon as government interference by some, but without it, we can all see the alternative.

Regulation, to various degrees absolutely will not hurt competition, as some have erroniously claimed. It instead adds a level of accountabilty to the private sector that has been grossly lacking in this country for the past 20 or so years.
I agree with you! Letting Health Insurance companies do as they please has proven to do nothing but help drive the cost higher and higher every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 12:43 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,068,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
It's called "regulation".

If the government want's to help out in this case, then they can help by regulating the industry at large.

Many states have public service commissions that energy companies have to go through in order to raise their rates. If an energy company cannot justify a rate increase, then the state says no to the rate increase.

Regulation may be looked upon as government interference by some, but without it, we can all see the alternative.

Regulation, to various degrees absolutely will not hurt competition, as some have erroniously claimed. It instead adds a level of accountabilty to the private sector that has been grossly lacking in this country for the past 20 or so years.
Would it be possible for states to put together a commission on health care companies? Just wondering....

The more I keep seeing this health care reform/bailout for the health insurance companies play out in Congress, the more I think real reform will be at the state level.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:54 PM

7,922 posts, read 7,817,743 times
There are too many people in America who couldn't care less how the current Health System in America is lop sided and destroying small/middle size businesses and huge companies like GM as long as they get their medical needs catered for. As long as they have health cover the rest can go die in the streets or have their lives destroyed. It isn't a problem until the company that pays for their health care goes under and they become the ones without health cover. Don't give me this "work for it" b/s. many work hard, very hard and still cannot afford the premiums to insure their families but hey why should the ones with health care worry about them, after all America is now the Home of the brave and land of the "fat cats"

Old 06-14-2009, 01:40 PM

5,397 posts, read 6,872,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here is one proposal that seems to be somewhat acceptable to Republicans:

Wonk Room Conrad Proposes Co-ops To Replace Public Plan

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/12/us...ef=global-home

Apparently, these co-ops would get "seed money" from the feds and charge premiums. Sort of like when a lot of businesses "self-insured".
Its not acceptable to Pelosi though!

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Nancy Pelosi - Blogs from CNN.com

Old 06-14-2009, 02:04 PM

86,876 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Well, she's only one person.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:11 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,425,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
There are too many people in America who couldn't care less how the current Health System in America is lop sided and destroying small/middle size businesses and huge companies like GM as long as they get their medical needs catered for. As long as they have health cover the rest can go die in the streets or have their lives destroyed. It isn't a problem until the company that pays for their health care goes under and they become the ones without health cover. Don't give me this "work for it" b/s. many work hard, very hard and still cannot afford the premiums to insure their families but hey why should the ones with health care worry about them, after all America is now the Home of the brave and land of the "fat cats"
i want socialized healthcare to work, but I as a single person taxpayer do not want to pay for the family next door who has 4 kids or the illegal immigrant that comes over here and gets freebies. I want to pay for myself only and NOT for everybody else.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:03 PM

7,922 posts, read 7,817,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
i want socialized healthcare to work, but I as a single person taxpayer do not want to pay for the family next door who has 4 kids or the illegal immigrant that comes over here and gets freebies. I want to pay for myself only and NOT for everybody else.
Hey you think you are just paying for you with private health premiums?
Everytime they make huge payments for other people, your premium goes up.
Everytime someone gets surgery and then stops their insurance your premiums go up.

Everytime some one uses a A&E and does not pay, it comes out of YOUR taxes.
So if you think that keeping a Private Insurance means you only pay for yourself, it just doesn't happen.
If you pay for a UHC...Illegals do not get healthcare except A&E for urgent care. Every single American gets health cover and thay includes every member of your family whether they work or not.
At the Moment you earn less from a company that gives you health cover because it costs them a lot to insure you. A UHC means a small tax to cover your health needs with NO co pay and more salary as you aren't having health as a factor of your pay.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:18 PM

I like the co-op idea. The AMA supports it. For better or worse, we will not get health care reform w/o the co-operation of the doctors.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:39 PM

6,597 posts, read 6,793,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I like the co-op idea. The AMA supports it. For better or worse, we will not get health care reform w/o the co-operation of the doctors.
Only something like 14% of the doctors in the US belong to the AMA. It's expensive, and doesn't serve their needs, from what doctors I know have been telling me.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Only something like 14% of the doctors in the US belong to the AMA. It's expensive, and doesn't serve their needs, from what doctors I know have been telling me.
Perhaps, but most still support the AMA, politically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies