Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2007, 09:10 AM

81 posts, read 309,041 times

Advertisements

I am interested in hearing different perspectives re: the recent situation involving "Imus in the Morning" Some may ask what that has to do with Tn. but please bear with me for a moment, even if it seems a bit convoluted. I have seen a number of questions re various minorities, religions, etc because people do want to know if they will be accepted or feel safe, or be able to live how they choose. I would hope we all think about this very carefully. First of all, I do NOT agree,condone, or appreciate his remarks nor should this go without a public out cry and he will have to bear the consequences! What REALLY concernes me is, what I percieve as the insidious errosion of our basic freedom of speech and how long before an individual or group becomes outraged re: religous broadcasts, certain political or civic debates, or publications....Don't we have the option of using the on/off switch, buying/not buying/ going/not going, writing to editors etc. My concern is how this might impact our future rights. I'm sure it easy to say "Glad it's off the air" but I have to ask myself...are we loosing our personal control of choice in order to regulate or legislate some other issue? Where is that boundry? I guess I would hope we all can think how there may be more at stake here than just getting back at some one for his very ugly remarks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 09:19 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,029 times
Imus was a stupid egotist. But he shouldn't have lost his show for the reasons he did. There have been other people especially Jesse and Al, that have said more slanderous things about opposite colored races. Why haven't they been dealt with as harshly?
Also why is the out cry about white people talking like this more noticed by the media much faster and louder than non-whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies