Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 02:37 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
Ah, ok. I didn't see that one-liner.

Of course the standard response is "possible fines of up to $XXX", but has the Census bureau ever persued those that refuse?
I've never heard of the Census Bureau pursuing any legal penalties, but the fact that legal penalties exist demonstrates that there are laws that require certain levels of compliance.

I can't imagine them actually taking Bachmann to court, either. But as a legislator, she shouldn't be announcing her intention to break the law and thereby encouraging others to do so as well.

Of course, she could claim this as a form of civil disobedience, but that only works if, after breaking the law, she turns herself into authorities and risks incurring the full penalties of the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 02:50 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Someday in a federal prison near you:

"What are in for?"

"Census violation - I only let them count the number of residents at my house."

"No kidding? I pulled the tab off a mattress! Rocko over there made a backup copy of Microsoft Vista."

Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,207,399 times
Another Wackjob in the Republican Party. I thought I saw Bachmann spearheading a TeaBagging Party...

Old 06-17-2009, 03:53 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Ah, ok. I didn't see that one-liner.

Of course the standard response is "possible fines of up to $XXX", but has the Census bureau ever persued those that refuse?
The Department of Commerce, and the Bureau of the Census in particular, have never enforced 13 USC 221 for people who refuse to answer questions because it grossly violates the 4th Amendment. Unless the Bureau of the Census provides a court-issued warrant to every household in the nation, nobody need answer any of their questions. The US Constitution says the federal government must undertake a national census every decade, but it does not say that the people need to answer any questions.

Now providing false information can be, and has been, prosecuted. So you are better off not answering the questions than making up false answers.

So when that criminal ACORN Census worker tells you that you will be fined for not answering their questions, laugh in their face and slam the door shut.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:16 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Point me to something that says Bachman is breaking the law by only submitting the number of members in her household?

Where did you get "breaking the law" from?

Palin, Limbaugh, Hannity, Bush, Cheney, Bachman. What do they have in common? An infatuation by the left. Much ado about nothing, as usual.
The only part of the census required to be filled out is # in the household... She is not breaking the law as you pointed out..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies