Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 08:19 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
There is nothing wrong with saying we back the people. We certainly aren't going to back the present regime. I see where it's sticky as you say. Hell let Biden say it...
There's nothing wrong with saying we back the people, which is what Obama said. What McCain and others are doing is using language that is far too inelegant and will only make it easier for the government to marginalize the opposition.

Quote:
He said the people did it... What the President of Iran trying to do to the people? What did the Soviet Union do till Gorbachev? You do much history?
I'm sorry, I don't understand the phrasing and grammar of your question. If you could be more clear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
With this type of mentality the whole world would be under dictatorship.

What would you have advised the civil rights demonstrators about 50 years ago?
Not even near the same situation. No intelligent comparison of the two dynamics can happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:44 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,403 times
Default Warning: The following pics/links are violent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
C'mon evil is relative
Relative? Christ woman. You need to be ashamed of yourself. Contemplate. This is Iranian justice: Gays Hanged in Iran (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50087332@N00/298265577/ - broken link) Stoning to Death Death for Apostasy Death By Crane Is Not Evil (http://irantoday.co.kr/photo/2007/09/23/iran_execution-thumb-510x446.jpg - broken link) 8 Women killed for adultry

You should shut your mouth as you are on the wrong side of history. The Supreme Council is an evil regime.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:45 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
and were the preelection polls rigged? As I indicated.. Ahmadinejad had huge breadth of support. The only two groups that favoured Moussavi were uni students and the ultra-wealthy. You entirely discount the grassroots support Ahmadinejad had.

You weren't there to count the votes you don't know, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Ahmadinejad had his support.
Of course he had support. I never said no one supported him. Many people know what happens to them if they didn't. I don't think as many would vote for him now. I'd like to see another election or count but that'll never happen as the last bit of light through the door shines (twitter) as the doors shut.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:46 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
How do you know? What little that is coming out is very bad. Beatings, murders, arrests, a complete shutdown of communications - why do you think they are doing that?

So that when they really start cracking heads and bloodletting , no one on the outside will know.
I dunno, I'm getting a good bit through people that I know that are in Iran, and plenty through the internet. Sorry if I happen to keep up and you prefer to make assumptions.

Let them fight it, as I stated they don't need big brother America to step in, if US intervention would actually help someone like Mousavi would ask for it. Do you really think it would go over well at all if the US stepped in and had any hand in overthrowing their government and telling them how to run their show? If you do then you just don't understand how the Middle East operates (which frankly seems to be the case between you and other posters).

Old 06-17-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I'm sorry, I don't understand the phrasing and grammar of your question. If you could be more clear?
In that link where he tries to explain "wiped of the face of the map" he says it's like the Soviet Union. The people wiped the soviet union off the face of the map. Then he goes on trying to explain that's what he meant about Israel. Totally negating that now he is trying to silence dissent, close them off to the world and invoke some sort of martial law or revolutionary guard control whatever the name. You don't see the Irony? He mise well be mimicking the Soviet Unions actions.... Hence the

Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
And if they ever do... Did you see all the women out in this thing. If they're killed for being raped what do you think this kind of disobedience calls for. You think it'll all just be swept aside?
As an American I believe that it is up to the people to forge their own destiny. You seem to believe that it is up to "big government of America". You also don't actually care about their freedom and are clearly more concerned with US interests based on your posts, so drop the Halloween costume.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:51 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post

What would you have advised the civil rights demonstrators about 50 years ago?
I'd've been marching with them, as they were protesting my own country. How is that relevant to the question of whether we have any business meddling in another country's election process?

Old 06-17-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
In that link where he tries to explain "wiped of the face of the map" he says it's like the Soviet Union. The people wiped the soviet union off the face of the map. Then he goes on trying to explain that's what he meant about Israel. Totally negating that now he is trying to silence dissent, close them off to the world and invoke some sort of martial law or revolutionary guard control whatever the name. You don't see the Irony? He mise well be mimicking the Soviet Unions actions.... Hence the
I understand and I'm in no way a backer of Amadinejad or his brand.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
As an American I believe that it is up to the people to forge their own destiny. You seem to believe that it is up to "big government of America". You also don't actually care about their freedom and are clearly more concerned with US interests based on your posts, so drop the Halloween costume.
Okay you got me and the rest of the world. We don't want to have to worry about some nut job who believes he is the means to end times and is actively moving towards nuclear weapons. We don't like the guy calling for wiping a state off the map. We don't like the holocaust denying as it's an insult to millions upon million upon millions of people. I guess I'll take it as you're in the opposition...

Old 06-17-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I'd've been marching with them, as they were protesting my own country. How is that relevant to the question of whether we have any business meddling in another country's election process?
The funny thing is that now that I think of it the situation does have one parallel if you look at it as if the North is one entity and the South was another. Southern politicians frequently invoked the argument that the whole movement was stirred up by Northerners in order to destabilize their society. And it convinced quite a lot of Southerners who would have otherwise been neutral to oppose it simply out of some perverted sense of Southern pride.

In the end, Northern intervention changed the South. But that's because it had the power to, because it was all one nation. In Iran, we don't have the power to do anything, so our opinions on what the situation should be are pretty irrelevant at best and counter productive at worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies