Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 01:41 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Great, I'm pretty surrounded by mexicans as well, I live near the south side of Milwaukee. Just seeing them however doesn't qualify me to say that they're all lazy. Sure, some are just like some whites are, some chinese are, etc. etc. etc.
Being from LA, he wasn't "just seeing them"...he was immersed in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 01:41 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
LOL! Yea sure, like you are going to just switch to a new one.
Apparently from the way I'm seeing things, people are paranoid that spanish will now be the language of america. I don't get that type of reasoning.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:43 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Apparently from the way I'm seeing things, people are paranoid that spanish will now be the language of america. I don't get that type of reasoning.
That's like a running gag my family and friends have when we see Asians or Indians, etc., speaking their languages. We say, "You're in America now, and you have to learn the language. Speak Spanish!"

Old 06-18-2009, 01:44 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
I don't disagree that this shouldn't be done also. It should. But before we can add either, we have to make metric the math system of the country and force it to be taught in schools - which would set off gasps around the country. So what that we're one of only 3 countries in the whole world that refuse to switch. I can feel the battle over it beginning, again, all over again.

And while I agree with you on many things normally, I do not agree that the reason we're falling behind is because so many people refuse to learn English. Our biggest measuring stick is so often our schools. Until we get a handle on them and bring them up to speed of the other big countries we're going to continue falling further and further behind - language learned need not matter or apply when our students are learning things years behind students from other countries, if they ever do at all.

English is the predominant language in business now because up to this point we've been the leader on the international stage. It's hard to say that is going to stay the same as China and others take over our spot. Last but not least why are we so flipping arrogant that it is okay for the citizens of other countries to learn English in order to communicate with us in say business but it is not okay to expect our citizens to do the same in regards to other languages?
"""Last but not least why are we so flipping arrogant that it is okay for the citizens of other countries to learn English in order to communicate with us in say business but it is not okay to expect our citizens to do the same in regards to other languages?""

As I mentioned in my other post, my nephew is quite successful and travels to all major countires.....WHICH language would you say he should learn? ALL of them...Italian, French, Spanish, all the Chinese dialects, all the Indian dialects???? When exactly would he find tiime for his job????

Wouldn't it be easier in this new Global World to learn ONE language which many already know...English?

Old 06-18-2009, 01:45 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've been turned down by multiple jobs that said 'bi-lingual a must' and it turned out they meant Spanish/English only. If they specified it, that wouldn't be a problem... I KNOW the definition of bi-lingual. I could google Russian jobs that require French as a second language too. Pulling a few jobs from companies that specialize or work with people in other countries is hardly comparable to needing to know a language to simply get service at a grocery store.

We also border a country that speaks French, should I also be forced to speak French simply because of geography?

And regarding employment, I'm involved with aviation and the language required is English, regardless of where you reside or work.
If you live in the northeast and you deal with a lot of people from Quebec, for sure. But how many native French speakers come to the US compared to Spanish speakers? I encounter maybe one French speaker for every 100 Spanish speakers...

Why would I hire you for a job where 20% of the customers speak Spanish only when you don't speak it?

Aviation used to require a knowledge of French back in the day. Even the word m'aidez is French meaning "you come help me!"

I am not required to know any other languages for my job (or any job I've ever had, even working discount retail in California) but if it's a requirement for a job, it's a requirement. Just like being a Chief Compliance Officer requires a Series 7 and 24, I'm not going to complain about not getting a job I'm not qualified for.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:48 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
The only point you've made is one of a closed minded person who chooses a condoscending tone instead of one of an adult discussion.
If you've read any of my posts, i've stated that the broken school system NEED to be fixed before requiring foreign language as a mandatory subject. If these school aged children are having difficulty in soaking in the basic subjects, how are they going to excel in a foreign language. Basic skills has to start at an early age....Thats a proven fact...
What's condescending about pointing out that this country is ignorant and ethnocentric? I'm an American too, so I'm pointing out the faults of my own country because I want to improve it.

I have always said we need to focus more on education, but saying that we shouldn't learn foreign languages simply because our schools suck isn't a good excuse. Maybe our schools would be better if children were taught more challenging subjects from a young age.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:49 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Reading thru some of the posts...saw a situation that I had gone thru.

I was married to a Mexican national and lived in Mexico City. On returning to the US thought...what the heck...why not go to night school and learn Spanish.

Big mistake...after a couple of months I dropped out due to the constant hassles with the male (hispanic) teacher always correcting me in my usage of the words and sentence structure. He claimed to be teaching night school Spanish for over 12 yrs. Big Deal.

Later found out that he was teaching "Espana Espanol" (Spain Spanish) and not Mexican Spanish.

Big Big difference.

I had no intentions of visiiting Spain and was more interested in Mexican Spanish as spoken during that time period.

As a previous poster said "British English and American English are NOT the same.

Today I'm living in Baja Mexico and get along real fine with my Mexican Spanish.

Steve

Old 06-18-2009, 01:53 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
I suppose, once again, that it comes from the OP's use of the term, "mandatory."

But is it going to topple English or form a new language like when the Normans conquored the Saxons and both ended up with English rather than French or old German?

No, its not. But perhaps you could explain that rather than just making blanket statements about people.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:59 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
I can kind of see how people would get that impression given that in a very short period of time signs in all public buildings are in Spanish as well as English, sometimes only Spanish, Government required to provide all services in Spanish, more and more jobs require one to speak Spanish, more and more T.V. and radio in spanish only and now suggesting Spanish be manatory in our schools system.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:10 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
English should be the offical language in the United States. Why should my child have to study Spanish when English is lacking in the United States?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies