Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 01:09 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times

Advertisements

Should Spanish be required now in high schools?
No...english should be required for spanish speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 01:20 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,052 times
The 4 official languages of Switzerland are all indigenous languages. Switzerland did not make any of them official as a result of a wave of people coming in. If so, Tamil and Turkish would be official languages.

The situation is the same in Spain and Belgium, where the various linguistic groups do not exactly like each other.

With regards to England, I have never heard of anyone English who can speak Welsh, Scottish Gaelic, Manx, or Irish Gaelic. By the reasoning of the OP, the English should be learning Urdu or Arabic.

The official language of France is French. While there are regions where people speak German, Corsican, Breton, Basque and Flemish as first languages, none of these, to my knowledge, are accorded official status beyond their respective regions. They are certainly not compulsory in the educational system.

So your analogies are moot.[/quote]

--------

All Europeans that matter in this continent are able to speak at least three languages. I speak four languages, some speak five or six languages.

As to "invading" languages, I had to learn English when I was 19.

Before, English was considered in my country a heathen language spoken by degenerates.

So you don't want to learn Spanish because you consider that you''re above it. I'll take a pic while you're standing on the unemployment line.

You m

Old 07-08-2009, 01:55 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
The 4 official languages of Switzerland are all indigenous languages. Switzerland did not make any of them official as a result of a wave of people coming in. If so, Tamil and Turkish would be official languages.

The situation is the same in Spain and Belgium, where the various linguistic groups do not exactly like each other.

With regards to England, I have never heard of anyone English who can speak Welsh, Scottish Gaelic, Manx, or Irish Gaelic. By the reasoning of the OP, the English should be learning Urdu or Arabic.

The official language of France is French. While there are regions where people speak German, Corsican, Breton, Basque and Flemish as first languages, none of these, to my knowledge, are accorded official status beyond their respective regions. They are certainly not compulsory in the educational system.

So your analogies are moot.
--------

All Europeans that matter in this continent are able to speak at least three languages. I speak four languages, some speak five or six languages.

As to "invading" languages, I had to learn English when I was 19.

Before, English was considered in my country a heathen language spoken by degenerates.

So you don't want to learn Spanish because you consider that you''re above it. I'll take a pic while you're standing on the unemployment line.

[/quote]

Europeans who speak at least three languages are usually from small countries such as Sweden or the Netherlands- small countries have a greater need to learn the languages of bigger players. Not that is is not an impressive feat- it is. In the bigger countries (Germany, Spain, Italy, France) the people generally speak one other than their own.

The English invaded you? Elaborate.

I do not want to learn Spanish because at age 15, I instead chose to study German. I did so throughout high school and university as well as on my own and consequently did graduate study in Germany. At age 44, I have other priorities.

I have no problem with people studying Spanish (I do speak a smattering of it and have used that smattering in Latin America with some success). I simply do not agree with it being compulsory which is what the OP stated. You might want to review that before spewing irrationally about Belgium and other places.

Being highly educated and highly skilled, not to mention charming, has kept me off the unemployment line. Spanish would only help were I looking to mow lawns for a living.

I salute your linguistic skills. It is impressive to spew self-rightous anger in several tongues.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:34 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Should Spanish be mandatory?
No!
Spanish is a third world language. It is the language of failure and therefore has no intrinsic economic or social value to Americans. Making it mandatory is a flat out waste of our money and the educational time of our children.
In addition, we are doing absolutely no favors to Spanish speaking immigrants by learning their language and anyone who thinks that we are is stupid.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:19 PM

8 posts, read 8,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
No!
Spanish is a third world language. It is the language of failure and therefore has no intrinsic economic or social value to Americans. Making it mandatory is a flat out waste of our money and the educational time of our children.
In addition, we are doing absolutely no favors to Spanish speaking immigrants by learning their language and anyone who thinks that we are is stupid.
Spain is not a third world country. Stay stupid and just speak english.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:34 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidel Castro View Post
Spain is not a third world country. Stay stupid and just speak english.
We can stay stupid and just speak english because that is our country's recognised language.....your traffic tickets,warrants,order of protection etc etc etc are written in ENGLISH Ese' ,so it would be best to learn to speak it

Old 07-08-2009, 04:39 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMan View Post
When I was a high schooler (a couple years back, I'm a college student now) I rejected the idea that one day I may have to learn Spanish. I rejected it based on the notion that we belong in a country of English speaking peoples and that we shouldn't have to cater to Mexicans or South Americans. I was also extremely anti-illegal immigrant.

Towards the end of high school and the beginning of college, I started to realize that things aren't going to change, that these people are here to stay, and that it *may* be a good idea to learn Spanish, just for the benefit of being able to find a job. But I never thought or even dreamed I would believe it should be mandatory to learn.

Now a couple years later, after seeing job markets now, I believe it should be mandatory for all elementary, middle school, and high school kids to learn Spanish. I believe this because I believe it will allow people of all races to become more competitive in the job markets. I believe my kids should be able to have an upper-hand or equal footing with people who do know Spanish, that they shouldn't be behind based on the fact that they don't speak a language that is now very common in our country.

I believe Americans need to get over the fact that there are so many Spanish speaking people here, and instead prepare, even embrace it. If they don't, they will fall behind in a future that looks increasingly different from our past.

So yes, it should be mandatory for students to learn this language. The earlier, the better, starting in pre-k in my opinion.
when i was in high school 100 yrs ago 2 yrs of spanish or latin or french WAS required--SO WHYNOT NOW??

Old 07-09-2009, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

So your analogies are moot.
----------

In Spain we have four official languages.
Switzerland, four official languages, some as consequence of invasions in the past.
Etc, etc, etc.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
We can stay stupid and just speak english because that is our country's recognised language.....your traffic tickets,warrants,order of protection etc etc etc are written in ENGLISH Ese' ,so it would be best to learn to speak it
---------

Yes, you don't need any language if you're a mule skinner.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
No!
----

Spanish is a third world language?
Did you ever go to School?
No wonder that your economy is a flop.
You can't have a 21th Century Economic/Military Power inhabited with such a insular population, so completely ignorant of their surrounding world.
But I suppose that the ones that call the shots in your country are a totally different class of people.
They are the ones that will impose Spanish as a mandatory language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies