Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 09:09 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,376,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
If they spent time on it, they spent tax dollars.
Do you think they work for free?
SOP
Demand proof.
Dismiss the source.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 09:19 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,376,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Aero...I've seen this mentioning of "reparation" mentioned several times this week alone on this board.....There are only a handful of loud mouth simple minded Blacks that believe this country still owes today generation something...The ONLY thing MY country owe to me is a clear and equal path to make my way and a clear and equal path for my children to make their way. Thats it...
No person on earth has a clear and equal path.
Were a collection of pluses and minuses.
For the most part we reap the rewards or
suffer the consequences of those.
Most people oppress themselves.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:22 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,028,018 times
Quote:
Aero...I've seen this mentioning of "reparation" mentioned several times this week alone on this board.....There are only a handful of loud mouth simple minded Blacks that believe this country still owes today generation something...The ONLY thing MY country owe to me is a clear and equal path to make my way and a clear and equal path for my children to make their way. Thats it...
I'm OK with the apology. I don't have any reservations about that at all really. Although I do think it has a little to do with politics instead of an all out apologetic feeling in Congress.

I may be reaching here, but I think it actually has something to do with the current homosexual movement and resentment among black folks. Here in DC, the black community is absolutely against homosexual marriage, and have really came out in full force against DC leaders for voting to acknowledge gay marriages that take place in other states. Most recently, DC leaders have blocked putting the gay marriage issue to voter referendum, and that has really pissed off that black community. Historically, black folks are a very religious people, and they seem to see the gay marriage movement as nothing anything closely related to the civil rights movement, as homosexuals claim it is. As such, there is a resentment. Also, Congress decided not to pursue the DC Voting Rights Act, which has also pissed off the black community because DC is a majority black city.

What does all this mean? I think, from a political perspective, Congress finally acted on this because the black demographic seems to have brewing resentment over current events that are taking place. If I was a betting man, I'd say part of this was motivated to placate the black community, at least for the time-being.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:32 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,510,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm OK with the apology. I don't have any reservations about that at all really. Although I do think it has a little to do with politics instead of an all out apologetic feeling in Congress.

I may be reaching here, but I think it actually has something to do with the current homosexual movement and resentment among black folks. Here in DC, the black community is absolutely against homosexual marriage, and have really came out in full force against DC leaders for voting to acknowledge gay marriages that take place in other states. Most recently, DC leaders have blocked putting the gay marriage issue to voter referendum, and that has really pissed off that black community. Historically, black folks are a very religious people, and they seem to see the gay marriage movement as nothing anything closely related to the civil rights movement, as homosexuals claim it is. As such, there is a resentment. Also, Congress decided not to pursue the DC Voting Rights Act, which has also pissed off the black community because DC is a majority black city.

What does all this mean? I think, from a political perspective, Congress finally acted on this because the black demographic seems to have brewing resentment over current events that are taking place. If I was a betting man, I'd say part of this was motivated to placate the black community, at least for the time-being.

Interesting...the voting act i can see the marriage act...having a very hard time believing that the black community is up in arms about that. Yes we are very religious, however just out right voting against someone else's rights while trying to maintain ours...I guess its a big difference here in NJ...We have bigger issues.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:34 AM

297 posts, read 347,997 times
Quote:
I may be reaching here, but I think it actually has something to do with the current homosexual movement and resentment among black folks. Here in DC, the black community is absolutely against homosexual marriage, and have really came out in full force against DC leaders for voting to acknowledge gay marriages that take place in other states. Most recently, DC leaders have blocked putting the gay marriage issue to voter referendum, and that has really pissed off that black community.
Hmmm, I had never thought about it from the perspective. That may be a bit of a stretch, but since it's just another bone tossed to another disgruntled demographic, you may be right. That's all Congress ever really does for all of us anyway, right?

Regardless of whether they have an "R" or a "D" next to their names, their only concern lies with staying in office by any and all means nescessary.

Quote:
Historically, black folks are a very religious people, and they seem to see the gay marriage movement as nothing anything closely related to the civil rights movement, as homosexuals claim it is. As such, there is a resentment. Also, Congress decided not to pursue the DC Voting Rights Act, which has also pissed off the black community.
I do not understand how one group of people who was victimized by intolerance allows the victimization of another group that that deem to be "less than" themselves. I really feel sorry for some of my older gay friends who marched side by side with African Americans for equality. Those in the African American community who continue to side against LGBT's has really broken their hearts.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Interesting...the voting act i can see the marriage act...having a very hard time believing that the black community is up in arms about that. Yes we are very religious, however just out right voting against someone else's rights while trying to maintain ours...I guess its a big difference here in NJ...We have bigger issues.
Believe it or not, it is the black community that is leading the charge against gay marriage here in DC. To be honest, i've found myself a little surprised about it too, but it's real. We're not talking small groups, we're talking coalitions of church congregations taking DC leader's to task over this. In fact, the blocked voter referendum is now in court. They're serious about this as they feel slighted by the system. It's been interesting to watch.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 06-19-2009 at 09:45 AM..

Old 06-19-2009, 09:42 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,579,183 times
I'm white so I do not pretend to even begin to understand how someone who is black feels concerning the entire slavery, civil rights, etc. They certainly have every right to be entiltiled to their feelings. As far as this goes...it's not for me to say. It is for anyone who is black to comment on. And chances are different people have differnet opinions about how they feel about an appology. I think if it moves us forward in terms of race in this country then it is a good thing. I lived through the riots in 1968 so I know how bad it can be. The main thing is for us all to move forward and start to lose these labels that divide us.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:45 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,510,019 times
Quote:
Believe it or not, it is the black community that is leading the charge against gay marriage here in DC. To be honest, i've found myself a little surprised about it too, but it's real. We're not talking small groups, we're talking coalitions of church congregations taking DC leader's to task over this. It's been interesting to watch.

Why lawd, why is ANYONE following Marion Barry....
I just googled Washington DC articles on this...and yes, there are blacks following behind the crack head's lead..I just don't get it..Its like this man has that entire area under his spell.

I also found articles, where 100 DC Black clergies marched in support of gay marriage...

Old 06-19-2009, 09:49 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,685,158 times
I think (one of the reasons) the government has formally apologized so many times, is because they want to make sure this is well documented in public school history books. If AA kids read how sorry the government is for what they allowed to happen to their great great great grandparents, then perhaps they will feel less bitter.

???possibly????

Old 06-19-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Why lawd, why is ANYONE following Marion Barry....
I just googled Washington DC articles on this...and yes, there are blacks following behind the crack head's lead..I just don't get it..Its like this man has that entire area under his spell.

I also found articles, where 100 DC Black clergies marched in support of gay marriage...
LOL yes...Marion Berry is definitely involved in this. And yes, there are those that are marching in support of gay marriage, no doubt about it.

The Voting Rights Act that I mentioned has lots of people peeved here in DC. Since Congress controls lawmaking within DC, Congress is not very popular right now with DC residents. Like I said, it may be a stretch, but it would seem that the timing of the apology is a little suspect given the current issues that have the black community upset. I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies