U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Is America still free?
No, and we are losing more freedoms every day 46 67.65%
Yes, but we still have more then some countries 7 10.29%
It's just Politics as usual. Nothing has changed over the years 15 22.06%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 06:12 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,188,090 times
Default Is America still free?

Land of the free. Not quite. America is now rated the 16th freest country in the world.

If we listen to the fat cat lying thieving bureaucrats that's what we are told though . Are we really free? With so much Nazi censorship, political incorrectness, the Patriot Act, I'm not so sure.

A kid is kicked out of school for pointing a finger at another kid and saying, "Bang!"? Or kicked out for having a prescription drug or even an aspirin his Mother gave him. Are we free when Govt can take property without proper compensation or accountability? A WI grocery store was selling bananas for 19 cents each. Good deal? The Govt dont think so. They closed them down for violating a law that says you can only sell bananas by weight and not per banana. After Hurricane Katrina the National Guard walked house to house collecting all legally registered guns, if you refused they had orders to arrest or shoot if a confrontation became physical.

A child brings a picture of God/Jesus to school or mentions them in a book report and gets expelled from school. Store Clerks are told to not say Merry Christmas for fear of insulting anyone. Do we still enjoy the right to peaceful existence when the communist HOAs forbid us to fly an American flag in our yard? Or we are forbidden to hang a religious symbol on our door?

Are we free when the press does not report the whole truth? They leave out naming the specific culture or religion of the criminal so no one is offended. Are you free to open a business when the Govt requires you to purchase permits, licenses, county and state approvals and if you are granted them, they tell you that you have to hire so called minorities to even things up.

Are you free when you can not choose your own medical treatment but instead have to accept what a minimum wage clerk who works in an insurance company half way across the country says you need? Are you free when your Govt tells you that driving is a privilege and not a right? Now what the hell is that all about? Dont paying taxes to build those roads give us the right to use them?

If you think I am full of bull then ask Cindy Sheehan, Mrs California, The Dixie Chicks, if they think they have freedom of speech. Or go ahead and say a forbidden word in a public forum and watch the anti free speech Nazis have a go at you.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.

If you still believe you are free then you are a Sheep who just follows the brown spot in front of you.

Last edited by desertsun41; 06-18-2009 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 3,499,536 times
land of the government, home of the slave.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:29 PM

4,465 posts, read 4,601,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Land of the free. Not quite. America is now rated the 16th freest country in the world.

If we listen to the fat cat lying thieving bureaucrats that's what we are told though . Are we really free? With so much Nazi censorship, political incorrectness, the Patriot Act, I'm not so sure.

A kid is kicked out of school for pointing a finger at another kid and saying, "Bang!"? Or kicked out for having a prescription drug or even an aspirin his Mother gave him. Are we free when Govt can take property without proper compensation or accountability? A WI grocery store was selling bananas for 19 cents each. Good deal? The Govt dont think so. They closed them down for violating a law that says you can only sell bananas by weight and not per banana. After Hurricane Katrina the National Guard walked house to house collecting all legally registered guns, if you refused they had orders to arrest or shoot if a confrontation became physical.

A child brings a picture of God/Jesus to school or mentions them in a book report and gets expelled from school. Store Clerks are told to not say Merry Christmas for fear of insulting anyone. Do we still enjoy the right to peaceful existence when the communist HOAs forbid us to fly an American flag in our yard? Or we are forbidden to hang a religious symbol on our door?

Are we free when the press does not report the whole truth? They leave out naming the specific culture or religion of the criminal so no one is offended. Are you free to open a business when the Govt requires you to purchase permits, licenses, county and state approvals and if you are granted them, they tell you that you have to hire so called minorities to even things up.

Are you free when you can not choose your own medical treatment but instead have to accept what a minimum wage clerk who works in an insurance company half way across the country says you need? Are you free when your Govt tells you that driving is a privilege and not a right? Now what the hell is that all about? Dont paying taxes to build those roads give us the right to use them?

If you think I am full of bull then ask Cindy Sheehan, Mrs California, The Dixie Chicks, if they think they have freedom of speech. Or go ahead and say a forbidden word in a public forum and watch the anti free speech Nazis have a go at you.

If you still believe you are free then you are a Sheep who just follows the brown spot in front of you.
Let's see that list and who compiled it.

I'd also suggest a course in Constitutional Law.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:31 PM

10,483 posts, read 9,467,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

I loathed it when I worked at Blockbuster & we had to say hello to every person that walked thru that door. Just kidding. You've got some good points, but I don't agree about the drivers license. If it were a right, every moron would be on the street, it's bad enough as it is. Where did this thing in Wisconsin happen about the bananas? I don't remember hearing about that. I actually think there should be a limit on how many kids people can have.....let the bashing begin.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:33 PM

12,083 posts, read 11,561,544 times
It all boils down to " Political Correctness" we don't want to "offend" any one.....

Old 06-18-2009, 06:34 PM

327 posts, read 272,254 times
The U.S. doesn't really have any more freedom than we have here in Europe now—with the exception of your wonderful 2nd amendment of course, which Europe will never match. Disturbingly, China is in many regards more capitalist than the U.S. now. I have faith in the future though—there's so considerably many liberty grassroots movements, and sales of Atlas Shrugged are soaring. If Carter was the cause that produced the effect Reagan, I'm eager to see what effect the more dangerously radical Obama administration will produce. I predict a considerable swing to the right in the near future. Hopefully it won't be too late at that point—there'll be massive amounts of damages to reverse.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:34 PM

17,214 posts, read 23,871,818 times
I'm of the opinion that a lot of our freedom is a mirage. Big oil, Wall Street, the bankers and financiers, big pharma, big food, etc, all conspire via their lobbyists to shape our laws, government policy and spending, and our choices.

We are in economic servitude to the oligarchs who run our nation, behind the scenes, with 33,000 registered lobbyists in DC.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:35 PM

10,483 posts, read 9,467,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikMartinsen View Post
I'm eager to see what effect the more dangerously radical Obama administration will produce. I predict a considerable swing to the right in the near future.
See, this is one reason why we voted for Obama. 8 years of the bush administration drained us, there was no way we were going to go thru that one again. And according to the great reception his win got, the rest of the world felt the same way.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:38 PM

4,465 posts, read 4,601,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'm of the opinion that a lot of our freedom is a mirage. Big oil, Wall Street, the bankers and financiers, big pharma, big food, etc, all conspire via their lobbyists to shape our laws, government policy and spending, and our choices.

We are in economic servitude to the oligarchs who run our nation, behind the scenes, with 33,000 registered lobbyists in DC.
Sad but so true.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:40 PM

3,441 posts, read 4,920,840 times
Is America still free? Well, physically we are free however mentally and economically we are slaves to college institutions and Wall Street/Federal Reserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies