Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:24 PM

646 posts, read 801,249 times

Advertisements

Southern heritage is antebellum homes,cotton fields,family,pride,and old time religion,it is having your land invaded and your countryside burned and looted.Southern heritage is defending that land your honor and your women and children.It was being a rich land and then dirt poor.A land of reconstruction and black codes and Jim Crow.Southern heritage is front porch swings,leaving your doors unlocked and taking care of your neighbor.It is respecting authority "yes sir" "yes maam".Swamplands,pine trees,hills and beaches.It is Tobacco Road.It is being scrutinized,stereotyped,and hated more than any other region.But southern heritage is in the heart and minds and it will always remain just that.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:25 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
Apparently you didn't check out this link-Rebel With A Clue - Southern Heritage

Actually, I don't know anyone who flies the Confederate Flag, but I do know people who, maybe, have a license plate with the flag on it or a t-shirt or something like that. They are just proud to be from the South. I think for most--at least people I know--it's more about family roots and where they come from.
I did click your link, but I'll trust the books I've read written by historians, along with my experiences and the experiences of those around me. Thanks for the link though.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:53 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I've seen a lot of threads that have to do with racism, the South, etc, etc.

When I lived in Southern Missouri I got to see LOTS of Confederate Flags.
Since I'm black/hispanic (I look like most people that are 1/2 black, 1/2 white)
I was offended by people waving the Confederate flag.

They would always tell me that: "It's not a symbol of racism, it's a symbol of Southern Heritage"

Maybe they have a valid point, here's the problem:
- It's the same thing as Germans waving the Nazi flag because is part of their heritage (Germany used it for 10 years, 1935-1935) Third Reich 1933-1945 (Germany)
- The Confederacy lasted only for 4 years in the late 1800s. What heritage can you get from 4 years?
- Georgia waited 90 years until the 1956 (civil rights movement) to add the confederate flag to its flag.

What is the Southern Heritage that the Confederate Flag is supposed to represent?
As far as I know, the Confederate flag stands for: Slavery, Secession and Jim Crow (racist laws)
F
Southern heritage was created long before the United States even existed. Because England was such a long distance, southerners were among the first colonist to govern themselves with the consent of the mother country. Southerners are known for being independent and able to govern themselves. Why do you think they hated the idea of a large federal government? States like Virginia felt they knew the needs and wants of their fellow Virginians better than the fools in Washington.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
The same as western hertiage;a culture based on a region of the country.

Last edited by texdav; 06-19-2009 at 10:40 PM..

Old 06-19-2009, 10:23 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Tyhe same as western hertiage;a culture based on a region of the country.
Remember the Alamo! People don't forget what it takes to build a nation.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Don't forget Goliad also.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:14 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
Quote:

Since I'm black/hispanic (I look like most people that are 1/2 black, 1/2 white)

They would always tell me that: "It's not a symbol of racism, it's a symbol of Southern Heritage"

Maybe they have a valid point, here's the problem:
- It's the same thing as Germans waving the Nazi flag because is part of their heritage (Germany used it for 10 years, 1935-1935) Third Reich 1933-1945 (Germany)
- The Confederacy lasted only for 4 years in the late 1800s. What heritage can you get from 4 years?
- Georgia waited 90 years until the 1956 (civil rights movement) to add the confederate flag to its flag.

What is the Southern Heritage that the Confederate Flag is supposed to represent?
As far as I know, the Confederate flag stands for: Slavery, Secession and Jim Crow (racist laws)
F
If anyone outside of the South flew a Confederate flag on their property, I'm pretty sure every single person who saw it would assume the people were racists.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:04 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,218 times
Quote:

Because you don't like white people, and because you've allowed the left wing Hollywood media to brainwash you.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I agree 100%. I will assume anyone flying the Confederate flag is a racist, but I would never question their right to fly it.
Why would you assume that? Propaganda rears it ugly head, and breathes more insanity into young, impressionable minds.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
If anyone outside of the South flew a Confederate flag on their property, I'm pretty sure every single person who saw it would assume the people were racists.
So what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies