Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 08:51 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
You do realize that by calling it a "lifestyle," you are making a judgment, don't you? I don't refer to heterosexuality as a lifestyle, so why is that considered appropriate terminology to describe homosexuality?
I wish someone would explain what the homosexual "lifestyle" is. Or a heterosexual "lifestyle" for that matter.

Every heterosexual I know is different and has a different "lifestyle". Much like every homosexual I know is different and has a different "lifestyle".

I'd really like to know who the heck started all that ridiculous, ignorant slogan-type rubbish about "lifestyle" and "choice". It's appears to be a fairly recent phenomenon.

A woman said to me a few months ago that she believed homosexuality is a lifestyle choice. I asked her to explain what she meant by that, and she couldn't. She was just repeating what she had heard from other people and had never really thought about what she was saying. She had known me superficially for awhile because our daughters go to the same school as hers, but hadn't known I was gay.

We had a long chat and I descibed my "lifestyle" to her. When she realised that my life was very little different to hers, (apart from the fact that I am very happy in my long term relationship with my female partner and she is very unhappy in her second marriage to a real jerk of a husband ), she started to rethink what she had been parroting. We now happily chat whenever we run into each other at parent/school events etc.

Last edited by Ceist; 06-20-2009 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 09:00 AM

609 posts, read 1,174,852 times
Although I may not agree, the stereotyped "homosexual lifestyle" was used largely to describe the large amounts of drug use, party and unsafe sex practices that led to the spread of AIDS.. you asked so i answered

Old 06-20-2009, 09:07 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
Although I may not agree, the stereotyped "homosexual lifestyle" was used largely to describe the large amounts of drug use, party and unsafe sex practices that led to the spread of AIDS.. you asked so i answered
Sounds like a lot of college students. But that would be stereotyping....

Old 06-20-2009, 10:02 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
And you advocating usurping the authority and role of the judiciary does give you credibility? You're the one neglecting aspects of our system of government here. I'm not speaking ill against it, just calling attention to the facts. Legislation is left to Congress, not judges. Interpretation of laws as written (not as you'd like them to be written) is the domain of judges.
That depends on the judges. When talking of state or local and even most federal courts, your statement would be true in it's entirety. But, when talking about the SCOTUS, you need to remember that a very large part of their job is interpreting the law according the Constitution. And part of that is the voiding of laws that are contrary to the provisions of rights within said Constitution.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:29 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
That depends on the judges. When talking of state or local and even most federal courts, your statement would be true in it's entirety. But, when talking about the SCOTUS, you need to remember that a very large part of their job is interpreting the law according the Constitution. And part of that is the voiding of laws that are contrary to the provisions of rights within said Constitution.
I disagree. The SCOTUS may declare a law unenforceable on Constitutional grounds, but that does not take the law off the books, just the 'as-written' enforcement of it. At that point, it remains within the jurisdiction of Congress to strike it from the books or modify it to Constitutionally-acceptable form. Too many federal judges at the Circuit Court level are attempting to legislate from their bench. They may interpret, and may even void enforcement, but the laws remain. If a case them is brought into court based on that law, it stands a slim chance of winning and the prosecutor knows that. It's up to the prosecutor to raise it to the SCOTUS if he feels it's worth pursuing.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:05 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
It describes you in large part to others, because for most, that is what they will see before they see you. You are a "gay artist, a gay musician, a gay writer, a gay politician, a gay attorney, a gay doctor...etc." That is more of what I was getting at.
I have to disagree with the statement I've highlighted above. Unless you state, or in some other way make it known, that you are gay, that isn't the first thing others will see.
Quote:
Of course I don't define myself through sexual orientation. But I am not too oblivious or naive to understand the way in which other people operate. Just look at the recent controversy with this Adam Lambert fellow from American Idol and then tell me that being gay is a non-issue.
Maybe to some people it is an issue, but it should be a non-issue.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:10 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,156 times
Workin_Hard, dude, I've already disputed and shown that you were wrong on this very issue of the courts, in this very thread, that you're still repeating wrong information on. Repeat all you want but you're still wrong.

Quote:
But does this mean you need to segregate yourselves more??? before someone said because straights are the majority, I don't have to be proud.... well if I love mustard more than ketchup, Im the minority.. should I be proud of something I can't choose??? No it's just ridiculous. just as its stupid to be proud I'm "tall" something, yet again, beyond my choosing.
I don't subscribe to the whole gay and proud movement but it is about something much deeper than what you realize. The gay teen suicide numbers are astronomical compared to that of straight teens. That alone is one reason we need to remain visible, to show that we are no less than straights. Proud, if you will, but really it is about more than pride by the definition of what proud is. People in this country still struggle, every day, with coming out.

A fair number choose to remain closeted in 2009 to some portion of the people in their lives or all of. It is not about being proud as in the way of being a minority and proud to be that and more about showing that we are not less than. You (general you) cannot make us less than and that it is okay to be gay. I know at your age, in your location, that may be hard to fully understand, what it means not to be ashamed of being gay, but in this country and many others it is still a day to day fight. That is why there are parades and everything else.

It's not about rah rah, I'm gay and you're not wee, happy day. It is more about refusing to be stuffed back in the closet, refusing to be silenced and perhaps most importantly showing others that may be struggling with coming out that we are equal and every bit as normal and human as any straight person.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:23 AM

609 posts, read 1,174,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
I don't subscribe to the whole gay and proud movement but it is about something much deeper than what you realize. The gay teen suicide numbers are astronomical compared to that of straight teens. That alone is one reason we need to remain visible, to show that we are no less than straights. Proud, if you will, but really it is about more than pride by the definition of what proud is. People in this country still struggle, every day, with coming out.
ummm the suicide rate of men is much higher then women. does that mean that i have to be "proud" of being a man. its just stupid

Quote:
A fair number choose to remain closeted in 2009 to some portion of the people in their lives or all of. It is not about being proud as in the way of being a minority and proud to be that and more about showing that we are not less than. You (general you) cannot make us less than and that it is okay to be gay. I know at your age, in your location, that may be hard to fully understand, what it means not to be ashamed of being gay, but in this country and many others it is still a day to day fight. That is why there are parades and everything else.
i went to france and there, being conservative at the time in comparison, made me the minority by far. does that mean I had to be "proud" of it?? no.

Quote:
It's not about rah rah, I'm gay and you're not wee, happy day. It is more about refusing to be stuffed back in the closet, refusing to be silenced and perhaps most importantly showing others that may be struggling with coming out that we are equal and every bit as normal and human as any straight person.
okay so yet again you admitted your not proud, but you want equal rights. something I agree with 110%. again though, your gaining no support by people like me doing that. keep calling for equal rights!! do it!! but never say your "proud" thats just stupid

Old 06-20-2009, 11:30 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,156 times
Quote:
ummm the suicide rate of men is much higher then women. does that mean that i have to be "proud" of being a man. its just stupid
I think you missed the entire point but alas, I cannot make you understand. You may find it more understandable as you get older. That's nothing against your age but I know I certainly have very different views at this point in my life than I did at 19.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:51 AM

297 posts, read 349,111 times
Quote:
but never say your "proud" thats just stupid
I think that you are confused by how the word "pride" is being applied. It is not being used in an arrogant manner to imply that we are better than anybody else. It is being used to fight the common anti-gay mentality that views and treats LGBt's as less than.

It seems to me that you really have no real concept of what it actually means to be gay since you are not gay yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies