Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 11:42 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
i clarified and qualified that statement in a later post.
ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 11:55 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
How exactly does your sexual orientation define you as a person..? Surely being gay is not the only thing you pursue in life? People are defined by their actions, not their sexual orientation. Only in a few situations are the two concurrent.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:06 PM

491 posts, read 925,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
How exactly does your sexual orientation define you as a person..? Surely being gay is not the only thing you pursue in life? People are defined by their actions, not their sexual orientation. Only in a few situations are the two concurrent.
Are you gay? If not, then you probably don't get it.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:13 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,521 times
Quote:
When you are legally and culturally regarded as a second class citizen because of who you are, I'm sorry, but I find that inexcusable. I also find it impossible to ignore it and sweep it under a rug while I attempt to get on with other things. I cannot be complacent in the midst of such flagrant injustice. Your post seems to suggest that you are willing to push the issues that unite us as gays and lesbians out of sight, and, proverbially, out of mind, while the country gets on with "more important" things. I believe that Civil Rights issues are important. I believe that the rectification of discrimination is important. I also believe that refusing to address such issues does not make them go away and only exacerbates the effect they have not only on gays and lesbians, but on the bigoted culture that gave birth to them. By ignoring them, they are further legitimized as acceptable materializations of bigotry and unfairness.
Will you do me a favor? Will you define "gay" to me? Because, in my opinion, being gay means that you are male, and you prefer to have sex and couple with other males. Being "lesbian" means that you are female, and you prefer to have sex and couple with other females.

Other than that, is there any other difference between a gay man and a heterosexual man? Or a lesbian woman and a heterosexual woman? I mean, do you have prehinsile tails or something?

Being homosexual is about SEXUAL PREFERENCE. I mean, come on people...with homosexuality, we're basically talking about sex and coupling. Homosexuals are not otherwise an entire different race or class of people. Yet so many of you act like you are. And you wear your indignation like a badge on your chest.

I wish all good, decent human beings (who also happen to be homosexual) the very best of luck. I begrudge you none of the rights that I have. If legislation comes up that I am eligible to vote for, I will vote in favor of gay rights.

I will not, however, mollify you and patronize you with regard to your feelings that you are a betrodden upon underclass whose suffering equals that of past Black-American slaves. Good grief.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:47 PM

297 posts, read 349,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I will not, however, mollify you and patronize you with regard to your feelings that you are a betrodden upon underclass whose suffering equals that of past Black-American slaves. Good grief.
We do not feel as though we are an "underclass". By denying LGBT's full and equal rights however, We are treated as though we are.

I have never said that the LGBT Community's suffering and struggle equals that of the African American's. They are different, but they are comparable. Both are groups of people that have been forced to endure unspeakable horrors by the "majority".

African American's were enslaved, killed, discriminated against, and segregated from the white population. They yearned and struggled to be treated as equals and wanted to be considered as more than 3/5's of a person, as is their basic human right.

LGBT American's have been and are killed, discriminated against, shunned, and forced to hide who they are in order to be integrated into heterosexual society. We yearn and are struggling to be treated as equals and will not be silent nor go away until we are treated as FULL and EQUAL American citizens, under the law, as is our basic human right.

I do not expect laws to change people's opinions. Everybody has a right to their opinion, regardless of what it is. Nobody has the right to deny another group of people full and equal basic rights based on their belief system, religion, ignorance, hatred, indifference, or whatever.

The simple fact is that African Americans, through no choice of their own, were born non-white and LGBTs were born non-heterosexual. Neither group deserves to be treated as second class citizens nor should they be asked to be "patient".

Until you realize these simple facts, I do not believe that you can say that you are "with us".

Old 06-21-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Will you do me a favor? Will you define "gay" to me? Because, in my opinion, being gay means that you are male, and you prefer to have sex and couple with other males. Being "lesbian" means that you are female, and you prefer to have sex and couple with other females.

Other than that, is there any other difference between a gay man and a heterosexual man? Or a lesbian woman and a heterosexual woman? I mean, do you have prehinsile tails or something?

Being homosexual is about SEXUAL PREFERENCE. I mean, come on people...with homosexuality, we're basically talking about sex and coupling. Homosexuals are not otherwise an entire different race or class of people. Yet so many of you act like you are. And you wear your indignation like a badge on your chest.

I wish all good, decent human beings (who also happen to be homosexual) the very best of luck. I begrudge you none of the rights that I have. If legislation comes up that I am eligible to vote for, I will vote in favor of gay rights.

"Sexual preference?" Well, there you go. For your information, it's sexual orientation, and yes, it does distinguish us from others. We are not heterosexuals who just "prefer" to be with members of the same sex. Sexual orientation points to an emotional as well as physical orientation toward the same or opposite sex.

There is a history to our existence, in this country as well as worldwide. For you to trivialize that gay and lesbian existence, as you are obviously attempting to do with these posts, only points to your ignorance of that history and all of the sentiments that come along with it. We are a minority group, and one that has unfairly been and continues to be stigmatized and disenfranchised. We have a painful and complicated history, just as blacks and other groups do.

It is clear you know nothing about the tribulations experienced historically by homosexuals. I suggest you educate yourself before you once again commit the same folly of unduly speaking out of your rear end, which has emerged as your forte in this thread.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:25 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Are you gay? If not, then you probably don't get it.

I am gay, and my wife and I don't get you at all.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am gay, and my wife and I don't get you at all.
I never said it was a rule. But it helps. Tremendously.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:22 PM

527 posts, read 1,281,879 times
Quote:

This.

You deserve a rep.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:52 PM

174 posts, read 570,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
This should never happen to anyone. Which holiday, btw?
Winter (mostly Chaunika and Christmas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies