U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:08 AM

14,351 posts, read 4,978,358 times
Default Another Phoney Scandal

I think the nay-sayers need to look someplace else for a scandal. This one holds as much "water" as a busted pipe.

An Obama "scandal" as phony as Whitewater | Salon

An Obama "scandal" as phony as Whitewater

The right finds a fake martyr in Gerland Walpin, a Bush holdover and right-wing ideologue fired by President Obama

By Joe Conason

June 19, 2009 | To Barack Obama's most excitable adversaries, the firing of the Americorps inspector general that the president ordered last week is an incipient scandal, as loud and thrilling as Whitewater once was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 08:04 AM

56,253 posts, read 28,134,509 times
Tell that to people who lost their life savings in Whitewater.. I'm sure they will think its a big deal.. And the ONLY reason why this is a "story" is because Democrats made such a huge issue out of the Bush firings. hypocrits, thats all they are in Washington

Old 06-19-2009, 08:07 AM

19,178 posts, read 19,668,153 times
Hmmm. Compare the life's savings lost in the Whitewater wipeout to those lost in the Bush administration wipeout. By the way, Bush actually was at least tangentially involved in the Bush administration...

Old 06-19-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Hmmm. Compare the life's savings lost in the Whitewater wipeout to those lost in the Bush administration wipeout. By the way, Bush actually was at least tangentially involved in the Bush administration...
hmmmm, compare the life savings lost during the Democratic Congress to the money made during the Republican Congress.. oooh no.. cant do that...

Old 06-19-2009, 08:25 AM

28,778 posts, read 11,249,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Tell that to people who lost their life savings in Whitewater.. I'm sure they will think its a big deal.. And the ONLY reason why this is a "story" is because Democrats made such a huge issue out of the Bush firings. hypocrits, thats all they are in Washington

Whitewater? Oh, please. Do tell us about how many people lost their life savings in Whitewater? Please, please, share some of that information.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Whitewater? Oh, please. Do tell us about how many people lost their life savings in Whitewater? Please, please, share some of that information.
Thats your response? That the number of people that lost their life saings wasnt high enough to matter? I NEVER said there was alot of them, I said ask them.

p.s. I didnt bring up WhiteWater, the OP did..

Old 06-19-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Thats your response? That the number of people that lost their life saings wasnt high enough to matter? I NEVER said there was alot of them, I said ask them.

p.s. I didnt bring up WhiteWater, the OP did..
I'm wondering if anyone lost their life savings?

Old 06-19-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm wondering if anyone lost their life savings?
Numerous individuals did, many filed bankruptcy, 14 were found guilty of crimes, and if I recall it took down several companies including a bank and an insurance company..

Old 06-19-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Numerous individuals did, many filed bankruptcy, 14 were found guilty of crimes, and if I recall it took down several companies including a bank and an insurance company..
Really? Seems like lots of banks were failing in the early 80's. I vaguely recall a nationwide savings and loan crisis. Nobody lost their life savings when the Madison Guaranty bank failed; the FDIC covered those savings just like it did at all the other bank failings. Who were all those investors in Whitewater Development? You mean the four people, the Clintons and McDougals, lost their life savings?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:15 AM

17,557 posts, read 6,922,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I think the nay-sayers need to look someplace else for a scandal. This one holds as much "water" as a busted pipe.

An Obama "scandal" as phony as Whitewater | Salon

An Obama "scandal" as phony as Whitewater

The right finds a fake martyr in Gerland Walpin, a Bush holdover and right-wing ideologue fired by President Obama

By Joe Conason

June 19, 2009 | To Barack Obama's most excitable adversaries, the firing of the Americorps inspector general that the president ordered last week is an incipient scandal, as loud and thrilling as Whitewater once was.
Section 3 of the 2008 IG Reform Act requires the President to notify Congress in writing at least 30 days before removing or transferring an IG. This provision strengthens the IG Act, which previously only required the President to notify Congress of the reasons for such action. The IG Reform Act leaves that requirement intact.

These latest strings of action by 0bama are not the first time he has decided that the laws, and even the executive orders he signs himself, do not apply to him or his administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies