Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SHARP MORAL DECLINE IN AMERICA...WHY? You can choose more than one
Religion/Prayer taken out of school 8 12.50%
Lack of Discipline 21 32.81%
Working Parents 18 28.13%
Media 21 32.81%
All of the Above 22 34.38%
None of the Above 5 7.81%
Other 21 32.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 11:06 AM

595 posts, read 2,344,092 times

Advertisements

We don't have anything.

Whoever did that was morally fraked up, but put the responsibility where it lies, with the shooter.

Over the next few days we will have 2 groups running off at the mouth with
1. ban guns! oh lord, ban guns!
2. moral decline, we need more God

But it couldn't possibly be that the person who did it, was solely the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 11:29 AM

711 posts, read 933,033 times
Smile Moral Decline

I agree with many of the posts. I think there is some element of truth in much of what I have read. Sure, there has always been some moral decline and lessening of social standards. In my lifetime the last decade has been by far the most severe.
I don't agree that the "left" and the seperation of church and state is responsible for this social jungle. We have what some believe to be a "smart" society--some see it as a rather strategic ploy to be an -- hole of a different kind. Same crap in a new and brighter wrapper, but really nothing new.
I have not noticed comments on our volunteer armed forces and the role that plays in our American society. Never in favor of curtailment of the draft I believe this is a factor. I have noticed many 18-25 yr. olds who could greatly benefit from the military as I and many more have.In my part of the country we have the ever-present ramblers in this category that we refer to as the punks. Our police are very slow to respond to their illegal and dangerous behavior.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:38 AM

People just don't need to run away.

People leave places because the perception is they are too dangerous...inner cities we have given over to gangs, we have places in this country which look as bad as Iraq...we run from our problems only to find peace in material goods, we worship TV shows and we don't know what we paid in taxes last year.

I mean you can go on and on and on...
I don't mean to insult anyone...but each person has made individual decisions about their lives which have made the United States a weak country.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:05 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colomonter View Post
I'm curious what poster(s) who checked none of the above and/or other thinks?
Yeah, I'm still somewhat baffled by this...lol

Old 04-16-2007, 12:06 PM

1,247 posts, read 926,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
People just don't need to run away.

People leave places because the perception is they are too dangerous...inner cities we have given over to gangs, we have places in this country which look as bad as Iraq...we run from our problems only to find peace in material goods, we worship TV shows and we don't know what we paid in taxes last year.

I mean you can go on and on and on...
I don't mean to insult anyone...but each person has made individual decisions about their lives which have made the United States a weak country.
Americans have been subjected to a ridiculous amount of propaganda and psychological manipulation in the last century. Individual responsibility is a nice concept, but the basis for our decisions is our own perspective. The average American has a perspective that is incredibly skewed, not only from previous generations, but from the rest of the world.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Yeah, I'm still somewhat baffled by this...lol
I chose "other". My answer is consumerism.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Americans have been subjected to a ridiculous amount of propaganda and psychological manipulation in the last century. Individual responsibility is a nice concept, but the basis for our decisions is our own perspective. The average American has a perspective that is incredibly skewed, not only from previous generations, but from the rest of the world.
I dont disagree but it doesn't make it right.
If the West were open to settlement today most wouldn't go, they'd say oh that's too dangerous.

We pat each other on the back and talk about how great we are.
WE WERE. The greatest generation was, those who fought in the Civil War were, the founding fathers were.

This nation is slipping through our fingers.
We don't have any idea of fighting for liberty, we run from our problems, live in debt up to our noses, we don't vote, we don't run for office, we don't demand change.
We don't take risks.

This has nothing to do with partisanship...we are a lazy, willfully ignorant people. And no one cares!

Old 04-16-2007, 12:22 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Well, here is a good example of the extent to which we have moral decline; another fatal shooting spree at a university in VA---20 reported dead by the Chicago Tribune and this just in from the WP:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...referrer=email
How very, very sad.
I was reading the article on Yahoo. It stated that, ""The president believes that there is a right for people to bear arms, but that all laws must be followed," spokeswoman Dana Perino said. Maybe if the president and our government followed our laws, people would have more respect for them and follow them also.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
I dont disagree but it doesn't make it right.
If the West were open to settlement today most wouldn't go, they'd say oh that's too dangerous.

We pat each other on the back and talk about how great we are.
WE WERE. The greatest generation was, those who fought in the Civil War were, the founding fathers were.

This nation is slipping through our fingers.
We don't have any idea of fighting for liberty, we run from our problems, live in debt up to our noses, we don't vote, we don't run for office, we don't demand change.
We don't take risks.

This has nothing to do with partisanship...we are a lazy, willfully ignorant people. And no one cares!
Vampgrrl, check out the documentary called "Century of the Self". You can watch it through the link below. It's broken down into 4 1-hour parts. It's very interesting.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...=1&sa=N&tab=wv

Old 04-16-2007, 01:01 PM

117 posts, read 430,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
I'm sorry I messed the first one up let's try this again lol

Ok, as requested by someone on another post, I have decided to start a thread regarding America's moral decay. I also decided to do this as a poll to see what everyone thinks. Please feel respond freely, HOWEVER....
PLEASE NO PERSONAL ATTACKS, RIDICULE OR HARSH REMARKS TOWARD ANYONE BASED ON THEIR BELIEFS! This is to discuss everyone's opinions and friendly debate maybe, but I don't want anyone getting offended or attacked.

Regardless of everyone's beliefs and differences of opnion, we all have to agree that our morals in America are declining SHARPLY! We have sexual predators preying on our young children, chidren being prostituted out by their own mothers, the shedding of innocent blood, severe cruelty and abuse...you name it, we've got it! We have drug addicted parents and parent drug dealers) neglecting their children and even encouraging their kids to take over the "family business" of drug dealing and gang banging.
We have kids that are growing up with NO BOUNDARIES or limitations. Too many Kids today do not obey and respect their parents, teachers or anyone else of authority.
Where do you think these problems stem from?
Lack of prayer in school?
Lack of discipline?
All of the above?
None of the above?
Other? (ie. lack of activities, working parents etc?)

I don't believe America is any less moral than it was at any particular time.

Do you honestly believe people in America were "moral" during segregation etc. or when small pox infected blankets were given to The Native Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies