Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SHARP MORAL DECLINE IN AMERICA...WHY? You can choose more than one
Religion/Prayer taken out of school 8 12.50%
Lack of Discipline 21 32.81%
Working Parents 18 28.13%
Media 21 32.81%
All of the Above 22 34.38%
None of the Above 5 7.81%
Other 21 32.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,595,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Yeah, I'm still somewhat baffled by this...lol
The survey didn't list consumerism, globalization, or the Bush administration. Hence, many responses for "other".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 08:04 AM

13,607 posts, read 21,389,656 times
all of the above.Regarding yesterday's news....

its a sad America these days were there is so much lack of love and respect for life,both for ones self and others.

selfishness has become the norm,and when someone hates life they now want to take out as many as they can before doing themself in spreading as much misery as they can.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:09 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,163,259 times
I picked "lack of discipline" and "other". I'll explain my "other" in a moment.

By lack of discipline, I mean how many kids are (not) being raised by their parents. It can cut across all socioeconomic lines and is not necessarily a conservative/progressive thing but a basic lack of respect for people and oneself.

My choice for other is the widening income gap in our country. I feel that those who, using a baseball metaphor, were "born on third base" have an automatic advantage over those in the lower-to-middle classes and are increasingly consolidating their wealth as those in the upper class who are decision-makers ship blue- and white-collar jobs overseas to maximize their stock holdings.

Personally, I thought the morning Moment of Silence accomodated those who wished to pray. It would certainly make for a long morning if we accomodated prayers for those who were Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, etc. Because we wouldn't want to exclude anyone or make any religion "official", right?

I think that potential parents should be realistic about what life goals they want to accomplish outside of raising children. If more couples would do that sort of planning, perhaps they would reduce the number of kids they choose to bear and therefore the stress they place on themselves. That said, I don't see anything wrong with two parents working... especially if they have a plan to give their children their due amount of attention. I'm guessing that the poll is hinting that things would be better if one parent (mostly likely the mother) stayed at home while the other (probably the father) became the sole breadwinner. If I had kids, I suppose I'd do what I had to do if my lady found herself unemployed... but I certainly wouldn't choose to put that kind of pressure on myself.

Whether or not one believes that most media (Fox News and most talk radio notwithstanding) has a "liberal bias", I certainly believe that it is too sensationalistic and self-promoting.

That's my three cents!

Old 04-17-2007, 01:47 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
all of the above.Regarding yesterday's news....

its a sad America these days were there is so much lack of love and respect for life,both for ones self and others.

selfishness has become the norm,and when someone hates life they now want to take out as many as they can before doing themself in spreading as much misery as they can.
I started this thread a few days ago...BEFORE this shooting happened yesterday
I just don't understand what it wrong with people anymore! We either have "terrorists" from foreign countries that come over purposely to utilize our programs and services etc and use it all back against us; OR we have someone whose parents immigrate here, looking for a better life, uprooting their kids for whatever reason then their kid turns against us (I believe this was also the case in one of the other recent school shootings as well as this one); then we have our own HOMEGROWN domestic terrorists. These are the ones that are born and raised here by American parents that have been here for years, then for some reason one day the kid gets together with some friends (and some cases acts alone) and strategically plans out an attack to kill as many people as possible and take their own lives in the end so they do not have to face any consequences in this life.
For all of my atheist and agnostic friends out there....I truly hope and pray that you ARE ALL WRONG and the Bible is RIGHT (YES, I am a Christian and I completely believe in the Bible). I truly hope (and I do believe) that all of these people will now have to reckon with God and spend their eternal life in DAMNATION!
I would really hate to think that they would be able to get out of consequences in life and DEATH!!!!!!!!

Old 04-17-2007, 02:00 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,817 times
Oh, and by the way...just because we're Christians, doesn't mean we do not get upset about things like this. I know in the New Testament, Jesus says to turn the other cheek, however, in the Old Testament God says and eye for an eye. I completely belive in the words of Jesus Christ, however, I don't believe that Jesus meant we were supposed to turn the other cheek when someone is randomly shedding innocent blood!!!
I'm sorry, it just really upsets me that this is what I have to look forward to worrying about when my kids go off to college. It's bad enough now in jr high and high school...but at least right now, I get to wake up each morning and tell them I love them before they go to school...that won't always happen when they get to college
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies